This Prague card will be quite violent, quit talking smack

It's a Euro Fight Night, of course it's not going to have huge names, but what it lacks in name value it makes up for in guaranteed finishes.

Light Heavyweight Jan Błachowicz vs. Thiago Santos
Heavyweight Stefan Struve vs. Marcos Rogério de Lima
Light Heavyweight Gian Villante vs. Michał Oleksiejczuk
Women's Flyweight Liz Carmouche vs. Lucie Pudilová
Bantamweight John Dodson vs. Petr Yan
Light Heavyweight Magomed Ankalaev vs. Klidson Abreu

Welterweight Carlo Pedersoli Jr. vs. Dwight Grant
Featherweight Daniel Teymur vs. Chris Fishgold
Women's Flyweight Veronica Macedo vs. Gillian Robertson
Lightweight Damir Hadžović vs. Polo Reyes
Welterweight Michel Prazeres vs. Ismail Naurdiev
Lightweight Rustam Khabilov vs. Carlos Diego Ferreira
Lightweight Damir Ismagulov vs. Joel Alvarez

So much violence outside of the WMMA fights

You're doing yourself a disservice if you don't watch it! Yeah I'm going full shill, so what you goof, it's free!

<{JustBleed}>

This card is actually much better than 234 was.

At first I wasn’t sure if PrettyGuy3 was trolling in the beginning, but now he’s making all kinds of sense! Dramatic turn this thread took lol.

The card isn’t free though like some of you are saying - you have to invest the most valuable thing of all, your TIME.

Most people here stream all the PPV anyways it seems so that’s all we ever really invest anyways is time. Do you want to sit through 7 hours of this? And I’m a hardcore who watches every card but they are really scraping the bottom with this shit - one solid main card fight as a headliner with a few fighters worth watching (Peter Yan, Rustam). And the Rustam matchup means nothing, only fight besides main worth caring about is Yan/Dodson.

So if it doesn't interest you, just don't watch it then. You're not under any obligation to watch every single fight or every card.

Dodson to suffer his first KO, at the hands of Yan..
Hyped.
<BC1>

It is what it is - a no name-value European fight night for the UFC content mill to satisfy fighter contracts and churn the ESPN deal.

Who exactly is pretending otherwise? Nobody is promoting this as an all-important, must-see card.

UFC 234 was shit.

This card is fine for what it is. I'm interested in over half the fights, which is pretty rare for these non ppv cards.

I'm a fan of blanchowicz, Santos, Yan, ankaelev, Macedo, khabilov, fishgold, pudilova, prazeres, and Ferreira. And I'm interested in hadzovic vs Reyes.

I'm looking forward to it because I follow these guys, that's all. I don't know what to tell you.

If an event has that many guys on it that I enjoy watching, then i'll look forward to it.

Different strokes for different folks I guess

It is fine for what it is, I wasn’t expecting it to be good in name-value. It’s an ESPN+ card from Europe airing at 11am in the US.

I’m glad there are some hardcore fans that will enjoy this like yourself, but tough for most fans to care (including hardcores, not just casuals).

So if it doesn't interest you, just don't watch it then. You're not under any obligation to watch every single fight or every card.

Why is it that if we criticize a card we are told not to watch it? Is every card/fight the UFC puts on amazing or something?

You’d think they’d want us to watch o_Oo_Oo_Olol. I get that we don’t have to watch and I probably won’t except for the Main Event and the Yan/Dodson fight - does that change the critique somehow though?

I just don’t get the “don’t watch them” response; the UFC’s entire job/purpose is to make people care about their fights. I’m a hardcore fan that watches every UFC and they can barely make me care about 2 fights!

So do I have bad taste in MMA or are they doing a poor job in creating compelling fights/stacking cards/generating interest/building stars?

Who exactly is pretending otherwise? Nobody is promoting this as an all-important, must-see card.

The title of the thread implies that because it’s a violent card we shouldn’t critique it for valid reasons (no name value, few compelling fights, poor fight stacking order, lack of interest/build up/promotion/etc to name a few).

And just because a card has finishes/violence doesn’t make it good necessarily. And just like with every card, we have no idea if that will be true (if it will be violent with finishes). All we have to go off is name value and compelling fights and it leaves us lacking in both.

Is Thiago Santos the king of just bleed nowadays?

Dude is so exciting

The title of the thread implies that because it’s a violent card we shouldn’t critique it for valid reasons (no name value, few compelling fights, poor fight stacking order, lack of interest/build up/promotion/etc to name a few).

And just because a card has finishes/violence doesn’t make it good necessarily. And just like with every card, we have no idea if that will be true (if it will be violent with finishes). All we have to go off is name value and compelling fights and it leaves us lacking in both.

This isn't any worse than many European fight nights. It's got arguably a #1 contender fight headlining it. Plus 6 or 7 other Interesting fights.

Yan vs Dodson
Ankalaev vs Abreu
Khabilov vs Ferreira
Damir Ismagulov vs Jose Alvarez

Thats 4 solid under the radar fights

Plus
Santos vs Blachowicz
Struve vs De Lima
Prazeres
Villante vs Michal

So 8 or 9 interesting fights. That's fine for a fight night

This card has a good chance of being entertaining.

Might lack in names but I feel it gonna be entertaining as fuck

Why is it that if we criticize a card we are told not to watch it? Is every card/fight the UFC puts on amazing or something?

You’d think they’d want us to watch o_Oo_Oo_Olol. I get that we don’t have to watch and I probably won’t except for the Main Event and the Yan/Dodson fight - does that change the critique somehow though?

I just don’t get the “don’t watch them” response; the UFC’s entire job/purpose is to make people care about their fights. I’m a hardcore fan that watches every UFC and they can barely make me care about 2 fights!

So do I have bad taste in MMA or are they doing a poor job in creating compelling fights/stacking cards/generating interest/building stars?

Well, the implication in criticising is that we should be getting something better. With the number of cards they're running, it's not possible to have stacked "names" on every show. There's just not that many superstars in the sport.

So, in presenting a problem ("weak cards"), what's the solution? What should the UFC be doing? Should they not have these cards at all, and deny guys a regular opportunity to fight (and putting a lower ceiling on the all-important "fighter pay")?

I doubt the UFC are going to run less shows, and they can't force the few MMA superstars to fight more often, so we're stuck with some cards that some fans might consider "weak". So in that instance, if it's really not of interest to you, just don't watch. Simple.

This isn't any worse than many European fight nights. It's got arguably a #1 contender fight headlining it. Plus 6 or 7 other Interesting fights.

Yan vs Dodson
Ankalaev vs Abreu
Khabilov vs Ferreira
Damir Ismagulov vs Jose Alvarez

Thats 4 solid under the radar fights

Plus
Santos vs Blachowicz
Struve vs De Lima
Prazeres
Villante vs Michal

So 8 or 9 interesting fights. That's fine for a fight night

Agree to disagree I guess.

Main event is a solid fight that is a main card fight but nothing close to a headliner - they are “names” but not big ones at all. I know it’s a Euro fight night but every card could and should have more star power. They have the fighters they just don’t like to “spread the wealth” so these cards always come out looking weak IMO.

Yan/Dodson is legit mostly because Yan is a super-prospect. Khabilov is in 8 fight winning streak and he’s fighting a journeyman Brazilian on the prelims? Who the hell is José Alvarez??? Struve fights are garbage (name recognition in a terrible division), Villante fights are just depressing exercises in poor fight IQ.

It’s not a “miss my whole Saturday” to watch card for me. For some of you guys it is, which means there is almost no card the UFC could put together you wouldn’t watch.

Last edited:
Well, the implication in criticising is that we should be getting something better. With the number of cards they're running, it's not possible to have stacked "names" on every show. There's just not that many superstars in the sport.

So, in presenting a problem ("weak cards"), what's the solution? What should the UFC be doing? Should they not have these cards at all, and deny guys a regular opportunity to fight (and putting a lower ceiling on the all-important "fighter pay")?

I doubt the UFC are going to run less shows, and they can't force the few MMA superstars to fight more often, so we're stuck with some cards that some fans might consider "weak". So in that instance, if it's really not of interest to you, just don't watch. Simple.

It’s possible to have better cards, the business aspect is fucking over the cards/match-making.

What happens is they over-sign guys to try and limit competitors abilities to get fighters (it’s a numbers game - they aren’t always sure who is good and who isn’t, they’d rather sign to a shit contract and have leverage then risk Bellator stacking divisions faster). Now they are contractually obligated to offer guys a fight every 3-6 months, they can only split up the sub-par fights so often that at some point they have to build a card around them.

I’m not saying there aren’t good fighters on this card; but the UFC has done no work making me care about this card - no promotion, no star-building, weak match-making, etc. it’s literally like “ here’s some fights, be happy they exist, if you don’t want to watch 7 hours of this it must mean your not a fan of MMA.”

The solution is obvious but it means less content (not necessarily cards) - cut at least 10% of the roster, limit cards to 10 fights and offer better contracts. If there was no “win” bonus and you didn’t get fucked for losing a tough fight they could easily get a few more fighters ranked in the 10-25 range to get on these cards. Tons of legit guys only fight twice a year because of the huge roster, they need to trim that shit.

Also stack the fight order better, put the shitty WMMA at the bottom - Liz Carmouche should never be anywhere near a main card. Robertson/Macedo should never come AFTER Khabilov/Ferrera.

It’s not enough for me to just have fights at this point, I’m glad some of you guys will enjoy this but if you don’t understand that you are a vocal minority I don’t know what to tell you.

Also if we don’t criticize then it’s assumed we like this shit - some of us don’t, just letting it be known. By your logic “ if you don’t like our complaints don’t listen/respond” lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back