This narrative against Fedor

I think you are wrong. And boy he did a whole lot with it.
Dan Miragliotta is the third man in the cage for this heavyweight grand prix semifinal. Emelianenko drops Sonnen with a left hook in an initial exchange. Fedor lets Sonnen return to his feet. Sonnen is attempting to punch his way into takedown range. The Russian shucks his foe aside and lets him up again. Emelianenko connects with a body punch, but moments later Sonnen finally scores a takedown. The Russian reverses it shortly thereafter and assumes top position. Sonnen rushes forward and Emelianenko tosses the American aside. Sonnen takes top position after dropping low for a takedown, then inexplicably attempts to roll and take Emelianenko with him. That backfires and Fedor winds up on top, dropping heavy ground-and-pound. They stand, and Sonnen is pressing the action with big left hands. Sonnen explodes and plants “The Last Emperor” on his back near the fence with 2:00 to go in the round. Sonnen is on top in half guard. Emelianenko is doing a good job controlling the posture of his foe. Emelianenko lands some lefts to the ribs from his back. Sonnen transitions to mount, only to be reversed by the former Pride Star. Emelianenko stands and then launches an assault when Sonnen returns to his feet. They end up back on the canvas, and Fedor takes top position and unleashes a salvo of unanswered left hands. Miragliotta watches as the Russian lands repeated shots, urging Sonnen to defend himself. Finally, the veteran official is forced to call off the bout. Emelianenko will advance to the finals of the heavyweight grand prix to face Ryan Bader.
Read more at http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Be...undbyRound-Scoring-143807#fPI1DcKuoprRwsyx.99

Dan Miragliotta is the third man in the cage for this heavyweight grand prix semifinal. Emelianenko drops Sonnen with a left hook in an initial exchange. Fedor lets Sonnen return to his feet. Sonnen is attempting to punch his way into takedown range. The Russian shucks his foe aside and lets him up again. Emelianenko connects with a body punch, but moments later Sonnen finally scores a takedown. The Russian reverses it shortly thereafter and assumes top position. Sonnen rushes forward and Emelianenko tosses the American aside. Sonnen takes top position after dropping low for a takedown, then inexplicably attempts to roll and take Emelianenko with him. That backfires and Fedor winds up on top, dropping heavy ground-and-pound. They stand, and Sonnen is pressing the action with big left hands. Sonnen explodes and plants “The Last Emperor” on his back near the fence with 2:00 to go in the round. Sonnen is on top in half guard. Emelianenko is doing a good job controlling the posture of his foe. Emelianenko lands some lefts to the ribs from his back. Sonnen transitions to mount, only to be reversed by the former Pride Star. Emelianenko stands and then launches an assault when Sonnen returns to his feet. They end up back on the canvas, and Fedor takes top position and unleashes a salvo of unanswered left hands. Miragliotta watches as the Russian lands repeated shots, urging Sonnen to defend himself. Finally, the veteran official is forced to call off the bout. Emelianenko will advance to the finals of the heavyweight grand prix to face Ryan Bader.
Read more at http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Be...undbyRound-Scoring-143807#fPI1DcKuoprRwsyx.99

That's wrong.

Is it a coincidence that he started getting smashed as soon as he left Japan? He was untoucable there but then lost to Werdum,Big Foot, and Hendo all in a row. All his wins since besides Mir have been against no names or non HWs.

No, considering he beat Coleman, Arlovski, Sylvia, and Rogers in the US before losing. 3 of those guys were UFC champions.

Just another bullshit narrative. Fedor had a very gradual decline and the end was coming. It's not like his body changed and his performance dropped off. He has a ton of mileage on him.

i dont think ive ever heard any sherdoggers claim fedor was on steroids.

most pride fighters, yes, but never specifically fedor. he sports the happy buddha build...

If he was in PRIDE, he juiced. You can sport whatever build you want and do steroids. Huge fat guys do steroids. Josh Barnett had been unapologetically juicing his whole career. Stop it.

No, considering he beat Coleman, Arlovski, Sylvia, and Rogers in the US before losing. 3 of those guys were UFC champions.

Just another bullshit narrative. Fedor had a very gradual decline and the end was coming. It's not like his body changed and his performance dropped off. He has a ton of mileage on him.

Really I think you see he starts loosing muscle mass back in 2005, by the time he fights Mirko his sholders are definitely smaller than against Nog in 2003.

Part of it is I suspect the shift in training when he left Russian Top team and moved to Red Devil in late 2003, less focus on weights and more functional strength plus more striking generally where being leaner and faster would help.

Fedor is the only fighter called great that has lost vs guys TWO WEIGHTCLASSES below him. He got KTFO cold by a freaking middleweight. I'll never understand this but whatever, he's a damn good fighter but that's about it.

Fedor is the only fighter called great that has lost vs guys TWO WEIGHTCLASSES below him. He got KTFO cold by a freaking middleweight. I'll never understand this but whatever, he's a damn good fighter but that's about it.

8 years posting and still at this level?

I kind of got more confidence in Fedor in the Bader fight after seeing how Mitrione was able to get up from under Bader a few times and he didn't take much damage. If Mitrione can get up from under Bader and not get damaged much Fedor is going to do way better in the grappling exchanges and might not need the round 1 KO like a lot of people seem to think.

That MW has wins at HW over Big Nog and Fedor. Henderson is better at HW than he is at MW.

Fedor didn't always look like he does now. Usually accusations of steroids use pics like this:

Fedor-kbs.jpg

I believe all the top guys are or have been on some sort of PEDs at one time or another. It's the nature of sports in general. They weren't illegal in Pride tho so it's immaterial.
Whether Fedor took anything or whether his look then is just from being younger and working a lot more with weights, we don't really know. That was probably "prime" Fedor though.

I think that sort of arguement is pretty weak and the fact that Fedor's body changed as he aged indicates he didn't use PEDs if it indicates anything. You shouldn't be in the same shape in your 30s as you are in your mid to late 20s if you are you're probably on PEDs. Most people's phsical primes end in their late 20s or early 30s.

Pat Militich said most fighters are at their best physically around 27-32ish.

Fedor is a legend. Best in the world when Pride had better heavyweights than the UFC. My only knock against him is that he never came to the UFC after Pride ended.

In my entire life, I don't think I ever seen a fighter more confident after getting smashed, and throngs of his fans, arguing that by getting beat up that he was tiring his opponents enough to a point that he was likely going to win the next two rounds, when that said opponent, to be fair was breathing heavily, but when someone is beating on that opponent like Fedor was, and it WAS a beatdown, who wouldn't? And Fedor never really had cardio issues in his entire 20 year+ career. And that's one thing that I found little odd. Sonnen was comparing Fedor to Kimbo Slice in the years before, but Fedor really isn't Kimbo.

I really wish there were able to fight with Yamasaki reffing that fight, because it almost looked like Sonnen quit and possiblely tapped out to Fedor, but Sonnen ridiculously will continue to claim that he would have beaten Fedor anyways if he were allowed to go on.

I think the most hilarious thing that I am seeing, from Sonnen and his fans, is that, he seems to believe, and his fans, that if he WAS able to get his hands on Fedor, he was going to be able to put him in situations that was favourable for him and control him and grind him out.

Fedor isn't a striker by trade. This guy is a grappler as much as Sonnen or Bader can call themselves a grappler, it just happens that Fedor is a lot more dangerous on the feet and on the ground, but he isn't a wrestler, but wrestling isn't the only grappling art out there. Sambo might have a questionable talent pool, but Russian Judo surely doesn't, and Fedor competed at higher level in Judo than Sonnen or Bader did in wrestling.

I mean, I think lots of people shit on Fedor in a various ways, he did steroids, he doesn't know wrestling, he ducked UFC, and all that, but this whole narrative that kinda makes him sound like he's some Matt Mitrione the russian version is ridiculous.

GiganticKlutzyAmethystinepython-max-1mb.gif

tumblr_n9p490MO2c1tg5avno1_500.gif

1251652716_fedor-judo-trick.gif

tumblr_mjd5piM21G1rvcjd7o4_250.gif
I think the whole premise is based on the fact that Fedor looked tired after 5 minutes - his cardio is nowhere near being the same as it once was. Chael's chin is granite - and he'd have plenty of strength left for 2 more rounds. Buut.... Fedor is good at recovering quite a bit of his energy reserves between the rounds, so I'm not sure Chael is necessarily correct. Anyways, Fedor's next fight should be interesting. We've never seen Fedor suffering a lay and pray loss before - and it seems like Chael thinks that's the strategy Bader will utilize - so how that works out should be interesting.

Anyways, the biggest reason why Fedor looked so good in this fight is because he wasn't even clipped on the chin - but that's his biggest weak spot right now. All it takes is one semi-mild punch on the chin to get Fedor dizzy - I think that's the key to winning these days. Lay and pray win against Fedor would be the first - but it would cement the idea that Fedor's second biggest weakness right now is his cardio.

I haven’t heard Chael say anything crazy since the fight. I’ve listened to all his podcasts and interviews. He was cool about the loss, and he was complimentary of Fedor and gave him his due credit. What’s the problem here?

Fedor is a legend. Best in the world when Pride had better heavyweights than the UFC. My only knock against him is that he never came to the UFC after Pride ended.

He went to Strikeforce. Which, as it turned out, had a better HW division than the UFC as well

I think Fedor Haters are the worst type of people, you can tell that they also never trained. Lol, most of his hater's bodies would be too pussy to even handle his Sambo Career. Lol , the Sambo talent pool supposedly sucks , meanwhile Khabib is 27-0 running through the UFC.
Fedor was the best during a era of rampant steroid abuse , even if he took them it's fair game.

People gloss over a lot of factors with Fedor. Nearly everyone he lost to was on PED's or popped for it in their careers. He lost to Werdum who went on to Smash all the best " Modern " HW . Dan was able to legally roid against Fedor and fought at HW. Fedor gave 50 plus pounds to Bigfoot who was likely juicing. Matt is a gigantic Heavy weight who hits hard. Really Fedor has only 4 losses in a 20 year Career.

He has fought numerous elite level Wrestlers , Strikers , BJJ ,Olympic Judo guys. Who ever he beats is now all of a sudden shot and means nothing. MMA is sport where anything can happen and he's Pretty much came out on top.

No other heavyweight has fought and stayed on top for as long , lol Fedor likes Cain but pointed out that he doesn't fight anymore. Meanwhile look how active a 40 something year Fedor is , fighting a legit top 5 LHW who is huge. Fedor is supposedly scared to fight top Competition.
Fedor has also beaten many former UFC champs and contenders , fought a bunch of top 10 heavy weights.

Never pulled out of a fight , even after a 20 year career. Always stayed humble. The stress alone of staying on top is pretty epic. Greatness is about wins and losses but also about longevity.

I would say his haters are pathetic losers who don't have the intelligence to really understand the sport.

Also to the jerk who pointed out that Fedor lost to a MW, do you honestly think Cormier couldn't make that cut too? Lol he was wrestling 180 something in the Olympics, meanwhile 40 year old small guy trashed an elite Modern HW. I haven't posted here in years , I remember why now .

Henderson was the Strikeforce LHW champ when he beat Fedor. He weighed 207 lbs. and Fedor weighed 223 lbs. I don't understand this stupid argument.

Anderson Silva lost to a Welterweight Takase.

By your logic, Arlovski lost to a Welterweight Rumble Johnson.

Henderson was the Strikeforce LHW champ when he beat Fedor. He weighed 207 lbs. and Fedor weighed 223 lbs. I don't understand this stupid argument.

Anderson Silva lost to a Welterweight Takase.

By your logic, Arlovski lost to a Welterweight Rumble Johnson.
Also Fedor had to stay at a catch weight

Back