This just won a Grammy for best rock song?

I have a friend who is active af down in the rock scene in L.A. I think he's personal friends with like half the talent in the industry. He bit hard when I told him how much I liked Greta Van Fleet's track: "What derivative garbage that band is. That album made my ears bleed." LOL, ouch. He said he tries to avoid the Grammy's like the plague, but they're inescapable.

He sent me a link to this album. Said it was his favorite of 2018:

He loved this one last year:

Rappers are the rockstars of today.

That guy fucking sucks. There was more craft, skill, and talent in my redneck kindermusic class.

That guy fucking sucks. There was more craft, skill, and talent in my redneck kindermusic class.

Maybe to you, but he's one of the rapper rockstars of today. The guy is ridiculously popular.

I really enjoyed St. Vincent like 10 years ago. I don't know WTF happened to her or what she even is anymore. <45>

Maybe to you, but he's one of the rapper rockstars of today. The guy is ridiculously popular.
There is objective value to art just as their is objective value to popularity. That guy can't sing, but like a billion rappers today, for some reason, he thinks he can digitize that out of existence. He's awful.

"God's Plan" was the biggest song of 2018. I've liked quite a few of Drake's songs in the past, which is testament to his talent as a songwriter, because he inhabits a genre of music that I despise, so for him to win my ear demonstrates the stretch of his appeal, but that song is a heaping pile of dogshit. He sings every note at the same volume, with the same inflection, the same feeble tambre, and he covers what-- a half octave range? It's like listening to Jack Johnson, except that Jack actually has a pleasant voice, even if it's boring and monotonous. It sounds exactly like every other piece of derivative garbage burped up on the radio by talentless hacks trying to smooth over their abject lack of musical practice or study with a laptop and a synthesizer. It's boring, lifeless, hackneyed product.

It might be the worst #1 hit for a year of all time.

The only guy who is pulling this off is Tyler the Creator. He knows he can't sing, but he does anyway, with passion and weirdness, doesn't gloss over his flaws in post-production, and his songs are so unique that it's impossible not to be charmed. It really helps to layer interesting background instrumentals instead of a three-piece drum set track on a loop.

Dear God I hate this music. You know the worst part? I caught only this part of the broadcast, but it was Drake's speech. Drake getting cut off during his speech was the sole highlight of the whole ceremony. Watch it here:
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertain...ceptance-speech-61th-grammy-awards/vi-BBTrhIa

He gets up, and first thing he says, "Man, uh, it's like the first time in history I'm actually what I thought I was, so I like that, that's really nice." He immediately adds, "I definitely did not think I was winning anything." Uhhh...which is it? You just said you thought you were the one who should be holding the trophy, but when you win, you're surprised? Much humble. He then goes on to shit on the very people who gave him that award as out of touch with the implication it's because they are white Americans (i.e. "a mixed raced kid from Canada"). Bro, they just gave you the award, and they also gave Childish Gambino 5x awards including Song & Record of the Year. Unlike you, Drake, Gambino actually deserved his wins, but know who was out of touch? Gambino-- who didn't show up. Also you who didn't notice who was getting hosting invitations and wins.

This is why you don't cave to whiners who throw tantrums.

I'm a fan of St. Vincent. She has talent. It's not "Rock" though.

Grammy's are out of touch and won't expand their categories.

Last edited:
I have no idea why I gave a shit about the Grammy's this year.

As soon as Keys opened her mouth and I heard the first few performances, I wanted to go watch Hockey or Basketball instead.

The Grammy's sucks.

rock bands I've seen in concert over the years:

The Doors
Quicksilver Messenger Service
The Who
Led Zepplin
The Stones
Sabbath
BOC
Allman Brothers
Ronnie Montrose
and many more I can't remember (yikes).

I have no interest in what passes for and wins awards for "rock" these days.

If this passes off as rock then I guess I have no reason to be angry any more that Jethro Tull won the Grammy for the best Hard Rock/Heavy Metal band in 1989 over Metallica.

If this passes off as rock then I guess I have no reason to be angry any more that Jethro Tull won the Grammy for the best Hard Rock/Heavy Metal band in 1989 over Metallica.
lol, was actually gonna list that incident.
(saw Tull numerous times btw, always entertaining but more rock than Metallica? uh, no)

The Doors
The Who
Led Zepplin
The Stones
Sabbath
BOC
Allman Brothers
Ronnie Montrose

You should dig the hell out of Greta Van Fleet, then. They're fighting the good fight to bring these sounds back.

*Edit* NVM, I see you repping for them in the other thread.

giphy.gif

The Doors
The Who
Led Zepplin
The Stones
Sabbath
BOC
Allman Brothers
Ronnie Montrose

tenor.gif

Guess who won in 2017.

Eh yeah, St Vincent is great, though her last two albums has more electronic/pop influences. She is always on the "art-rock/pop" side of things anyway, so I doubt it would appeal to people who only like classic rawk

Eh yeah, St Vincent is great, though her last two albums has more electronic/pop influences. She is always on the "art-rock/pop" side of things anyway, so I doubt it would appeal to people who only like classic rawk
I like alternative, arthouse rock, art punk, pop rock, indie rock, dance rock, indie dream pop, and most forms of electronica....and I still think that song blows dong.

Even good artists make trash songs.

Trololololo. Not rock. Still, glad Van Fleet didn’t win. Grammys suck balls.

I like alternative, arthouse rock, art punk, pop rock, indie rock, dance rock, indie dream pop, and most forms of electronica....and I still think that song blows dong.

Even good artists make trash songs.

She has better songs on the same album, but this song is still far from trash.

Back