This is why we need 9-9 / 10-10

psihomodo

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
If it's close just make it a draw and don't give them bonuses. Too many guys are fighting for points. What's wrong with having 9-9 rounds?

10-10 happens so rarely I forgot it was even an option for judges. I agree it could and should be used more often.

But as for this thread, I have no clue what you're on about.

10-10 happens so rarely I forgot it was even an option for judges. I agree it could and should be used more often.

But as for this thread, I have no clue what you're on about.

Fighters should be "punished" for playing TOO safe by having rounds with little activity/aggression be scored 10-10. What's wrong with that?

If it's close just make it a draw and don't give them bonuses. Too many guys are fighting for points. What's wrong with having 9-9 rounds?

No.
this is why 10-9 for almost anything is stupid.
this is not binary code.
They should force judges to award all the way from 0 to 10! THEN these things wouldn't happen.

What's wrong with having 9-9 rounds?

Aisde from the scoring system being the "10 point must" where one fight MUST receive 10 points? Leave the scoring to the pros.

White belts...

Aisde from the scoring system being the "10 point must" where one fight MUST receive 10 points? Leave the scoring to the pros.

White belts...

So what's wrong with having 10-10 rounds if both fighters are too timid?

edit: and what does the "white belt" have anything to do with it? Watching MMA regularly for over 10 years doesn't count unless you can "prove" it with an arbitrary posting history on some internet forum? If Fedor joined Sherdog today, he would be a white belt.

I agree that 10-10 rounds should be seen more often than they currently are. The 9-9 rounds don't make sense. They essentially accomplish the same thing as a 10-10 round don't they?

I agree that 10-10 rounds should be seen more often than they currently are. The 9-9 rounds don't make sense. They essentially accomplish the same thing as a 10-10 round don't they?

Well yea, it doesn't really matter if it's 9-9 or 10-10. Point is if they just canceling each other out without attempting to engage besides an occasional jab, it should be a tied round.

no. this is why we need better judges.

Fighters should be "punished" for playing TOO safe by having rounds with little activity/aggression be scored 10-10. What's wrong with that?

nothing. I'm with you, I still don't know what fight you're referring to because I haven't had the chance to watch yet.

( .Y . )

have some realistic emoticon boobs to ease your pain. Have you noticed it's always the left one that's bigger? It has to do with blood flow. At least, that's a theory I've heard.

Fighting for a score at each round is most of the reason fighters 'fight for points'. Round by round is utterly stupid for a THREE round fight. If you want to 'score' by milestone, scoring many more times is better.

Even then, actually JUDGING *overall* (in the context of the entirety) coupled with a decent criteria that actually aligns to the spirit of fighting is the only way to truly render a decision in MMA - see what Pride did and what One championship do now. Best method

White belts...

Technically it is really easy to have a 9-9 round (or even 8-8). All you need is for one fighter to win the round AND have a point deducted.

I guess even 7-7 is theoretically possible, but given that it would require 3 fouls and one fighter completely pushing the other fighters shit in, I don't see how it could ever happen in practice, as it would most likely be a DQ before you could have that many points deducted.

Can anyone recall a card in the UFC where there has been a 10-7 round? I can't.

Fighting for a score at each round is most of the reason fighters 'fight for points'. Round by round is utterly stupid for a THREE round fight. If you want to 'score' by milestone, scoring many more times is better.

Even then, actually JUDGING *overall* (in the context of the entirety) coupled with a decent criteria that actually aligns to the spirit of fighting is the only way to truly render a decision in MMA - see what Pride did and what One championship do now. Best method

It wouldn't be a problem if the judges would ever score 10-10 or 10-8. If they did, one lopsided round would actually win out against 2 razor close ones.

But that is a fantasy, I guess.

Back