1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

This is what's wrong with modern jiu-jitsu.

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Rod1, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

The emphasis on competition, is making a lot of practitioners lose sight of what they are doing.

YouTube - Ultimate Rampage Slam knockout

I mean he was being lifted over the head of the opponent, and all he could think of was trying to lock the triangle? i mean c'mon.

People need to realize that competition its just a part of jiu-jitsu and they need to understand the art to be able to adapt the art under different rulesets and conditions, not trying to use the same competition jiu-jitsu in every scenario.

2. SteelHammer

SteelHammer Green Belt

parts unknown Occupation: asskicker TrainingStyle:
    no, it's his own fault if he's too stubborn to let go even when he's being lifted into the air. It has nothing to do with the state of modern jj, most people would let go

3. Galahad

Galahad Orange Belt

I think people should do bjj however they want and whichever way brings them the greatest possible joy and fulfillment.

4. Joose

Joose Purple Belt

Cool thread. Please make more.

5. hakkas

hakkas Blue Belt

That wasn't 'modern JJ'. It was MMA. If you train only JJ when you are about to compete in a MMA event you are no smarter than the guy that plays tennis in order to prepare for his soccergame.

6. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

This is an old fight.

Why don't you show some of you judokas figthing in MMA exploits?

Instead of just starting troll thread.

7. tysnw

tysnw Brown Belt

i'm not trying to make a point, i just read lechien's post above and remembered a nice mma judo/karo hl

8. Alaskantkdkid

Alaskantkdkid Green Belt

YouTube - Ronda Rousey Amateur MMA Debut
    She good enough of a Judoka for you?

Edit: Can't get the video to embed. I'm still a noob at that:(

9. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

The fact that he is too stubborn and oblivious to the fact that he can be slammed is because of the modern affair of competitive BJJ making people think they are going to be a Werdum or a Maia. Those guys are great practitioners who adapted the art. It seems that everyone new that comes with BJJ seem oblivious to what to do. Those great are usually taught under an old schooler.

This is not really analogous because there is a lot of transfer between BJJ and MMA, but it also requires sport specific training.

Why should i be held accountable for every judoka out there? it not like its a church, there are a lot of judoka who haved sucked and there are a lot who succeeded. The ones who succeeded its because they just took the base of judo and grabbed what worked and gave up the rest. When i approach a new sport i don't try to mold the sport to me, i try to mold myself to the sport.

And yes, my Judo under BJJ rules is a lot different than my Judo under judo rules, competitions are competitions, they are not the ultimate, all to be, goal of a martial art. To me BJJ is also Judo and so is wrestling, they are all grappling under different rulesets.

10. JNick

JNick Orange Belt

If I get picked up idc how tight my submission is. I'm bailing. I can always get it again

11. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

You are just a hater, starting thread to start Judo vs BJJ BS.

I just asked you to show some cool vids about Judokas doing MMA instead of critising BJJ by showing one single MMA fight.

and guess what you do?

nothing...just bla bla about how good is your Judo!

How surprising?

12. hughes fan

hughes fan Silver Belt

People I train with know to let go of a triangle when someone stands up and then you feel yourself been lifted or at least to stop them standing if possible.

13. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

If you don't train bjj then you can't comment saying that this is a result of the way modern bjj is trained.

I can remember at least a few classes I've taken dedicated to what to do if someone starts to lift you up while in the triangle.

14. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

What I usually do is let go, put both hands behind their legs and hold, one foot on the hip. Push with the foot, pull with the hands, they fall, then you can scramble for a better position.

If I can't get that, I usually get one hand behind their ankle, and one foot behind their other, and the other foot on their hip and do the same thing

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  15. HardEight

HardEight Blue Belt

Should've underhooked a leg.

16. DiscipleOfPog

DiscipleOfPog Green Belt

Anytime you create a sport, make it competitive, and add a set of rules, competitors will adapt and evolve to best be able to be successful under that set of rules. This has led to the modern state of sport BJJ.

MMA has a different set of rules, therefore, there will be a different library of techniques and tactics to be successful under that set of rules.

Sure, there is some overlap, but adjustments must be made to successfully move from one sport to the other.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  17. 3dsmax

3dsmax Orange Belt

Royler said that he would release the triangle if he thought the guy was going to pick him up and slam him.

The way I look at it is BJJ gives me a much higher chance of winning a street fight vs someone who doesn't know what they are doing; I shouldn't feel invincible because I know how to execute a triangle from bottom.

18. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

Im also a BJJ practitioner. Your reply is full of fail.

Im pointing out differences not in technique, but in training mentality, and that its beyond the sport you practice. I have utmost respect for a lof of BJJ practitioners i have read for example the 2 books of Renzo and i agree with most of the things he says. But again, he never claims that you should do "jitz" in every possible scenario, and that you should follow what "jitz" teaches you everywhere. It says that BJJ its about having a correct strategy for each scenario.

19. Zankou

Zankou Muscle and Hate Staff Member Senior Moderator

The fact that one guy, this one time years ago, got slammed by Rampage, totally shows that modern BJJ is on the wrong path.

Point taken.

20. BJJ_Rage

BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

actually, this is to show the evolution of bjj...

YouTube - Ryan Couture vs. Lucas Stark.STRIKEFORCE CHALLENGERS 10

at out gym, in the no gi class (we dont have MMA class, just no gi) we are strongly advice to ALWAYS underhook the leg while going for the triangle (if it is avaliable), specially when we are rolling with bigger opponents.