This is what Chael was trying to do from the back.

I don't think that's a fair analysis of Chael as a fighter. He's definitely not the most skilled, however he has very strong wrestling, an excellent chin, good cardio and tenacity, and always shows up on weight and ready to fight.
"Relatively speaking" meant he doesn't belong in talks of greats or accomplished fighters...I agree that he's an average UFC skill level journeyman in his prime.

His best work has been in the WEC and in UFC losses.

doesn't matter which way you try to spin it, it looked suspect as hell, and there were multiple times where chael was in a good position and just gave it away.

i can confidently say that if theres anyone that would throw fights, it would be chael.

I agree with you.

Chael did not hang on and execute with tenacity; instead, he "went through the motions," let go, and just somersaulted himself into a vulnerable position.

Forget the somersault-let-go technique, WTH do you call this technique?:

Is this the new, "Let go for no reason, curl-up, and get pounded" technique?

Please don't tell me this was a legit effort. Watch again. Closely. It wasn't.

I agree with you.

Chael did not hang on and execute with tenacity; instead, he "went through the motions," let go, and just somersaulted himself into a vulnerable position.

What was he supposed to do? People don't think straight when they're tired and concussed.

Chael talked about it post fight. He said he used to hit that move all the time in college and that he always nailed it but didn't this time. He said he was going to lose the position anyways because he was sliding forward and figured Fedor would explode out the back, so he went to this move, but it didn't work out. He also said he felt he was OK during the final GNP sequence before the stoppage a d said he felt like Fedor was starting to tire and his punches we're slowing down. He thought he was having a "rope a dope" type moment to allow Fedor to gas himself out, but it backfired when the fight was stopped.

Was Chael doing MMA in college? I didn't realize he started that young. I frequently forget he was in the UFC before he was in WEC. That was a long time ago.

Was Chael doing MMA in college? I didn't realize he started that young. I frequently forget he was in the UFC before he was in WEC. That was a long time ago.

I believe he was talking about college wrestling. But yeah, he has been doing MMA since 1997, though it took him many years to break into the big leagues.

I believe he was talking about college wrestling. But yeah, he has been doing MMA since 1997, though it took him many years to break into the big leagues.

Crazy. I had no idea that was a wrestling move.

lots of dipshits on these forums pretending to be experts. Please keep this bumped so they can all learn something.

Thanks to @loyalyolayal

Thank you.

All of these "fans" who know dick about fighting saying Chael threw the fight, or even that it was sketchy, are getting on my fucking nerves. Shows the lack of fight knowledge in this place.

These chumps need to watch a damn fight.

Start with UFC 1, Pancrase 1, PRIDE 1, IVC 1, etc., and work your way to the present. Then they might understand what they're seeing, and why fighters like Fedor, Igor, and many others, are held in such esteem, even now.

Chael has delusions of grandeur. He also thought he could land a spinning back fist on Anderson Silva.

I think it is the opposite. He knew very well he had little chance in both fights. So he tried a desperate high risk high reward type technique.

Trying to flip Fedor there was essentially an admission that Chael knew he was going to lose.

MMA fans are the worst. Are there any other sports that have fans who work really hard to be as ignorant as possible?
Doesn't seem like MMA fans want to understand the aspects of the game. Football fans understand EVERYTHING, not sure why MMA fans seem ok with just knowing a punch is a punch. I have always wanted to understand EVERYTHING that has anything to do with whatever I'm interested. Guess that doesn't seem to be popular with most people.

I do very different things from the back

doesn't matter which way you try to spin it, it looked suspect as hell, and there were multiple times where chael was in a good position and just gave it away.

i can confidently say that if theres anyone that would throw fights, it would be chael.

u really think chael would risk brain damage by getting clobbered by the hardest hitting HW of this generation ?? Fedor punches fucking hard for u to think its fixed u need get ur brain fixed

also he never gave any positions away he got reversed , fedor had perfect timing and patience something u need to be a great grappler chael is a good wrestler but his jiu jitsu is lacking fedor has very good jiu jitsu form even though he is judo base

I agree with you.

Chael has always been a compan man....

lots of dipshits on these forums pretending to be experts. Please keep this bumped so they can all learn something.

Thanks to @loyalyolayal

That vid says it was Leo's signature move. Have you ever seen Chael pull it off once in a prizefight?

I think most people understood what he was trying to do, they just have no idea why.

Back