This is what a 500k house will get you in Las Vegas

I think the property tax is quite a bit higher in Texas compared to Nevada
In DFW the all in cost for property taxes is in the 2.2 to 2.8% range which is a decent chunk of money, especially for a 500k house (where talking like $850-1100 a month just in property taxes !!!)

In DFW the all in cost for property taxes is in the 2.2 to 2.8% range which is a decent chunk of money, especially for a 500k house (where talking like $800-1100 a month just in property taxes !!!)
That's rough, those are Chicago area rates. At least here in San Diego property tax is capped to an extent. It's like 1.25 percent in the city. Which is key cause almost everything is at least $500k

That's rough, those are Chicago area rates. At least here in San Diego property tax is capped to an extent. It's like 1.25 percent in the city. Which is key cause almost everything is at least $500k
The actual city tax rate is actually pretty good it's the school district portion that's high (the school district takes majority of the 2.2 to 2.8%).

It's worth it though, the schools is one of the reasons why people are moving to DFW in record numbers, most of the highschools in DFW are top 5% in the entire nation. I've had so many transplants tell me that the pubic highschools are basically the equivalent of private school from where they came (main reason why they don't mind an inflated property tax rate)

That house right there is definitely haunted

Bay Area California here. You could get a cardboard box to live under the freeway for $500k. It's crazy stupid here right now with housing prices. I don't see how it can continue to go up.

500k in Detroit would get you a 16 bedroom mansion

Bay Area California here. You could get a cardboard box to live under the freeway for $500k. It's crazy stupid here right now with housing prices. I don't see how it can continue to go up.

How do you handle it? Are you wealthy? Make alot of money? Share apartments?

Does it compare to where you live?

That is a gorgeous modern home, if that was out here in OC or near the beach in Cali it would go for a couple million easily. My cousin does real estate and sold a beach front home that looks similar to that one and it went for 4.5 million.

Whats crazy is if this was the year 2000 in Las Vegas that house would probably be 250 to 300k. The only homes you could get for 300k would have to be in Hesperia or some desert town like Yucaipa. They have homes there for like 250k for 4 bedrooms but nobody wants to live out there.

How do you handle it? Are you wealthy? Make alot of money? Share apartments?

I got in a place about 12 years ago and have a good relationship with the landlord. I don't own, I just rent. He keeps my rent low and I take care of everything in the house maintenance wise. As in he pays for the hardware but I do all the work myself to fix everything in the house that might break. It's crazy out here.

I will just convert Dollars to Pounds .. 2 seconds....

$500.000 = £45.00

You get a plastic bike shed from Homebase

No State income Tax, helps a bit.

my brother just bought a 2100' sq crib in Murrieta/Temecula for 415k

that's a solid deal for the square footage IMO

My grandparents old house in Mira Mesa they bought for like 110k in 1980. It's worth 750k now

Last edited:
It's ugly but 5000 sq feet for 500k is rather good.

Where I live for 500k you get a townhouse, and probably not a new one.

45 minutes away in Vancouver, this goes for $2.5 million

View attachment 726299

This goes for $6.18 million

View attachment 726301
neither of those places are worth that money no matter where in Van they are, maybe those places sold for that ((which would be amazing)) but thats not normal, my uncle had a waaaaay bigger house and property in burnaby that was sold, I dont know exactly what they got for it but it most definitely was not in the millions((plural))

my brother just bought a 2100' sq crib in Murrieta/Temecula for 415k

that's a solid deal for the square footage IMO
The fiancée and I just looked at a house in La Mesa that's only 1150 sq ft and it's listed for $509,000 lol.

The fiancée and I just looked at a house in La Mesa that's only 1150 sq ft and it's listed for $509,000 lol.
i lived in La Mesa my last year at SDSU, off 170th and Normandie
my roommate had rich parents that bought the house we lived in and paid rent. I want to say they paid 575k in 2004 for a house that like maybe 1500' hahaha

i lived in La Mesa my last year at SDSU, off 170th and Normandie
my roommate had rich parents that bought the house we lived in and paid rent. I want to say they paid 575k in 2004 for a house that like maybe 1500' hahaha
Oddly enough, some houses are still pretty affordable in La Mesa. That area big part of our search. We refuse to buy anything with HOAs. Finding a single family over 1,000 sq ft for $500,000 or less is a tall order but those deals are out there still.

I paid a little less than that for a two bed, 1st floor maisonette on the outskirts of London.

Ragin'.

Oddly enough, some houses are still pretty affordable in La Mesa. That area big part of our search. We refuse to buy anything with HOAs. Finding a single family over 1,000 sq ft for $500,000 or less is a tall order but those deals are out there still.
I hope you find something you both agree with

That's partly why my brother moved from Lakeside up to Murrieta, as his wife still drives down 3x a week to work in Kearny Mesa i think

They just got tired of paying that rent down there

Back