This is type of Democrats we need.

Vet, lifts, hates big pharma. I like him.

You don't treat mental illness by playing along. I could see therapy or some psychiatric drug being covered but not cutting off wieners and throwing exogenous hormones at them.
Which drug though? And pretty much all therapy for it is gender affirming as far as I know. If you have evidence to the contrary I'd love to see it.
Statistically speaking, since most kids who suffer from dysphoria grow out of it, you'd do far less harm by simply doing nothing.
Okay but what about for the ones who don't?

Which drug though? And pretty much all therapy for it is gender affirming as far as I know. If you have evidence to the contrary I'd love to see it.

Okay but what about for the ones who don't?

Imo, identifying and separating those who will exhibit dysphoria later in life from those who won't should be the standard before treatment,especially since clinicians claim most do not continue to exhibit dysphoria,and because of the permanent nature of the treatments.

I would suggest purely psychological counseling until the child is an adult. I understand this means that some trans people who will continue to identify as such will not be able to seek hormone therapy at a"critical" age. I'm not only fine with that,I'm alarmed everyone isn't.

Good piece from Scott Alexander on this:

http://slatestarcodex.com/2014/11/21/the-categories-were-made-for-man-not-man-for-the-categories/

I recommend the whole thing, but it's quite long. One particularly relevant bit:

The Hair Dryer Incident was probably the biggest dispute I’ve seen in the mental hospital where I work. Most of the time all the psychiatrists get along and have pretty much the same opinion about important things, but people were at each other’s throats about the Hair Dryer Incident.

Basically, this one obsessive compulsive woman would drive to work every morning and worry she had left the hair dryer on and it was going to burn down her house. So she’d drive back home to check that the hair dryer was off, then drive back to work, then worry that maybe she hadn’t really checked well enough, then drive back, and so on ten or twenty times a day.

It’s a pretty typical case of obsessive-compulsive disorder, but it was really interfering with her life. She worked some high-powered job – I think a lawyer – and she was constantly late to everything because of this driving back and forth, to the point where her career was in a downspin and she thought she would have to quit and go on disability. She wasn’t able to go out with friends, she wasn’t even able to go to restaurants because she would keep fretting she left the hair dryer on at home and have to rush back. She’d seen countless psychiatrists, psychologists, and counselors, she’d done all sorts of therapy, she’d taken every medication in the book, and none of them had helped.

So she came to my hospital and was seen by a colleague of mine, who told her “Hey, have you thought about just bringing the hair dryer with you?”

And it worked.

She would be driving to work in the morning, and she’d start worrying she’d left the hair dryer on and it was going to burn down her house, and so she’d look at the seat next to her, and there would be the hair dryer, right there. And she only had the one hair dryer, which was now accounted for. So she would let out a sigh of relief and keep driving to work.

And approximately half the psychiatrists at my hospital thought this was absolutely scandalous, and This Is Not How One Treats Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and what if it got out to the broader psychiatric community that instead of giving all of these high-tech medications and sophisticated therapies we were just telling people to put their hair dryers on the front seat of their car?

But I think the guy deserved a medal. Here’s someone who was totally untreatable by the normal methods, with a debilitating condition, and a drop-dead simple intervention that nobody else had thought of gave her her life back. If one day I open up my own psychiatric practice, I am half-seriously considering using a picture of a hair dryer as the logo, just to let everyone know where I stand on this issue.

Miyamoto Musashi is quoted as saying:

The primary thing when you take a sword in your hands is your intention to cut the enemy, whatever the means. Whenever you parry, hit, spring, strike or touch the enemy’s cutting sword, you must cut the enemy in the same movement. It is essential to attain this. If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him.

Likewise, the primary thing in psychiatry is to help the patient, whatever the means. Someone can concern-troll that the hair dryer technique leaves something to be desired in that it might have prevented the patient from seeking a more thorough cure that would prevent her from having to bring the hair dryer with her. But compared to the alternative of “nothing else works” it seems clearly superior.

Imo, identifying and separating those who will exhibit dysphoria later in life from those who won't should be the standard before treatment,especially since clinicians claim most do not continue to exhibit dysphoria,and because of the permanent nature of the treatments.

I would suggest purely psychological counseling until the child is an adult. I understand this means that some trans people who will continue to identify as such will not be able to seek hormone therapy at a"critical" age. I'm not only fine with that,I'm alarmed everyone isn't.
I'm not talking about kids, I'm talking about adults with gender dysphoria.

I'm not talking about kids, I'm talking about adults with gender dysphoria.

I liked what @HockeyBjj said,

3) if a person greatly persists and feels they're the wrong gender, then they're welcome to use their own pocket money to pay for whatever they want after they're 18 and can understand the long term affects they're going to be doing to their body

My hope would be that a person can learn to accept themselves as they are by then, and at least knows what they're doing if not.

Good piece from Scott Alexander on this:

http://slatestarcodex.com/2014/11/21/the-categories-were-made-for-man-not-man-for-the-categories/

I recommend the whole thing, but it's quite long. One particularly relevant bit:
Just finished reading through it, yeah its long but was fun. I guess my only nitpick would be that I think the transition process is a bit more involved than merely taking a hair dryer around with you but the point still stands; in the absence of an alternative why not endorse the transition? I haven't looked into the conversion therapy advocated by some conservatives but the fact that its not endorsed by the mainstream scientific community doesn't inspire confidence.

Despite being a Democrat, he supported Donald Trump for president in 2016.[10] He told Politico that he voted for Trump because he initially believed Trump would do something for West Virginians. By 2018, he expressed regret for voting for Trump, saying that "he hasn’t done shit" and he's "taking care of the daggone people he's supposed to be getting rid of."

How much longer before this guy has an accident?;)

Back