This is my obligatory "I'm entering my first tournament" thread

Ballzilla

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just what it says. My instructor told me last night that he wanted me to compete on October 16th at a US Grappling Event. While this sounds like a lot of fun, I can't help but feel completely nervous and a bit apprehensive. I've been training for 2 weeks and I don't even feel I'm ready for something like that. On the other hand, it's just Jiu-Jitsu, the worst that can happen is I get tapped, stand up and go watch some other matches. Did anyone else compete this early in their BJJ training? How'd you do?

Just relax and have fun. Doesn't matter if you're not ready to win a medal. Get the jitters out of your system and get a feel for the flow of competition, so that when your technique is on par with everyone else in your division you aren't nervous about your first competition.

Good luck

in your two weeks of training have you been participating in the rolling before/after the technique portion of classes??

if so, then i'de say jump in there and see what it's all about...main thing, have fun, and maybe get to know some of the other competitors.

only 2 weeks of training? I would say to wait at least until you get a couple of stripes, seems like a waste of money.

in your two weeks of training have you been participating in the rolling before/after the technique portion of classes??

if so, then i'de say jump in there and see what it's all about...main thing, have fun, and maybe get to know some of the other competitors.

Yeah I've been rolling since day 1. It's part of the class after drilling the 3-4 techniques we drilled that night.

Yes I do have a long wrestling background but it's been 9 years and 45 lbs ago when I wrestled last.

If you Wrestled prior, have fun. Most likely most of the white belts will be flopping around on the mat anyways. :)

My first tourney is this Saturday at a small tournament on the other side of the state. I've been training for 2 months in gi and about a year out of no gi at my universities club. I'm pretty excited and nervous.

My coach told me last night after he promoted me to Bluebelt that he wanted me to compete in the NAGA World Jiu-Jitsu Championship this December 18th and 19th in Fort Worth. I have never competed and now my first one will be at Bluebelt :eek:... I'm kind of nervous but I have more than enough time to get my cardio where it needs to be so I'm looking forward to it.

Good luck bro!!!

I am competing for my first time after 4months of training or so. on Oct 17th ;\

I competed after my first my month in the Gi Pan-Ams. I was most nervous for the weigh-ins, if anything. Make sure you have some kind of game plan and stick to it. Don't try a bunch of different techniques, just try and feel comfortable with one or two techniques. Have fun and enjoy the experience. Enjoy the butterflies and enjoy the fear.

My coach told me last night after he promoted me to Bluebelt that he wanted me to compete in the NAGA World Jiu-Jitsu Championship this December 18th and 19th in Fort Worth. I have never competed and now my first one will be at Bluebelt :eek:... I'm kind of nervous but I have more than enough time to get my cardio where it needs to be so I'm looking forward to it.

Good luck bro!!!

Congratulations on the promotion! I'm sure I have a year or two before I reach the blue belt level. My instructor, who's on the cusp of receiving his black belt, told me that as a white belt he entered 3 tournaments and fought in as many divisions as he could and never won a single match. He said it just made him more and more hungry to go in, train and beat the next guy. Made me feel better. All of my training right now will be dedicated to just drilling the moves I have been shown so far and figuring out which ones work best for me so we can put together a game plan. My school has several affiliates and apparently shows up at most competitions with a lot of competitors. I guess my biggest worry is letting my team down. Either way, it should be fun.

Accept the fact that being that green, you WILL get schooled.

Lets face it, you ain't winning anything this time out!

So with that said, WHAT HAVE YOU GOT TO LOOSE!?!?!?!?!?

Congratulations on the promotion! I'm sure I have a year or two before I reach the blue belt level. My instructor, who's on the cusp of receiving his black belt, told me that as a white belt he entered 3 tournaments and fought in as many divisions as he could and never won a single match. He said it just made him more and more hungry to go in, train and beat the next guy. Made me feel better. All of my training right now will be dedicated to just drilling the moves I have been shown so far and figuring out which ones work best for me so we can put together a game plan. My school has several affiliates and apparently shows up at most competitions with a lot of competitors. I guess my biggest worry is letting my team down. Either way, it should be fun.

Dude your not letting anyone down. Losing is learning in Jiu Jitsu my friend... Even though I am a Blue Belt (Which is still kind of a white belt since I just got it two days ago) now I wish I would have competed at white belt just to get a feel for it. IMO The approach you are taking is perfect. Roll and Technique, Roll and Technique... Just remember to work on your cardio because even though I haven't competed I know enough about being a white belt to know that the guy your facing is going to come at you 1000% because he is just a nervous/scared/excited as you are. Just try and stay calm and work what you have learned. If you lose so what but if you Win cool.

Good luck and HAVE FUN BROTHER... Don't worry about losing....

I competed for the first time last sat in Denver. It was awesome! I won my first match (no-gi) by arm triangle choke in 3 or 4 min. I lost my 2nd match by armbar in 4 or 5 min. I lost my gi match by points. It sucked losing but I have a lot that I need to work on and can't wait to get back out there next comp.! I have been training in gi and no-gi for 8 months.

I've only had 2 gi classes now and the rest of them had been no-gi. I'm looking forward to competing in both but I have a feeling I may do a bit better with no-gi. The gi game is much more technical and methodical as I have come to find out. I enjoy the shit out of both. Gi training, to me, seems to make me better when I roll without it. I don't understand the whole gi vs. no-gi argument as it appears to me that both are essential in obtaining your goals in this sport.

Back