this is kudo

shincheckin

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Check this out, this is pretty good stuff, note the muay thai influence, I think out of necessity than these guys cross training in MT. anwyays pretty good techniques etc IMO

Let me bang gi mma

Would love to do mma in a gi actually. Slams are hella alot easier with the grips and there's gi specific grips and attacks you could do too

Kudo is awesome! Brutal to watch sometimes, they just go full on. Anyone know what the ruleset is, and what the duration of rounds are?

Kudo is awesome! Brutal to watch sometimes, they just go full on. Anyone know what the ruleset is, and what the duration of rounds are?
smash hard and fast?

Kudo is the competition system of Daido juku (although now the names are used interchangeably sometimes), a kyokushin+judo hybrid style created in the late 70 -early 80ies. The rule system was originally created for kyokushin, but it was decided the knockdown rules had already become to entrenched internationally to change, so the creator of the rules asked for and was granted, permission to leave and found his own style. Originally formally a karate style, they branded themselves a new art (also called kudo) about a decade ago. They still use the name karate where and when it suits them, though.
Over time, BJJ and MT and other fightsports has had its influences, but the core is still basically kyokushin and judo (with oldschool newaza).

The rules are basically heavily modified knockdown karate rules.
The fight last 3 min. If there are no winner you get up to two extensions for 3 min a piece.
You can do 2 attempts at grappling submissions for up to 30 seconds each.
You have 4 levels of points. The highest is Ippon (basically a KO or submission) -instant win, then you got 2 levels for momentarily stuns wazari and (dont remember the name), then the lowest score (dont remember the name for this either) are given for simulated attacks on a downed opponent, or for a throw.
One instance of a higher lever score is better an any amount of lower level scores, But if the two fighters have for instance , one wazari each, then the lower level points are tiebreakers.
You are allowed to strike to the opponents groin if you fulfil a condition based on height and weight ratio that never really made any sense to me.

Kudo is really similar to hand-to-hand combat (Russian sport).

I train in Kudo.

It's a great martial arts style. It's more of a sport than an art though.

Kudo is a combination of Boxing, Muay Thai, TKD, Karate & Judo. It's mistakenly thought of as a Kyokushin & Judo hybrid. There's barely any kyokushin in Kudo anymore it's evolved past that into something else. Take it from someone who has done both. The type of Kudo your taught will depend heavily on the background of your instructor. If he's from an MT background you'll get more of that for example.

The MT stuff in Kudo is mainly basic clinching work, elbows & knees. You're right it's not pure MT - it's MT that's been adapted for the Kudo format.

Basically everyone in Kudo has the same syllabus but depending on your instructor you might get taught different ways of executing techniques. There is no kata or forms in Kudo either. It's just Kihon & Kumite - basically repetition and sparring.

There are positives and negatives with training Kudo though.

You can see the basic ruleset here:

http://www.kudoindia.org/rules.htm

The duration is 3min. There is only 1 round. If there isn't a clear winner - there are extensions until a winner is decided. This is why Kudo matches are very aggressive. The ruleset rewards aggressiveness so most kudo fighters are great aggressive pressure fighters but not so good at defensive fighting.

Sparring can be brutal at times as well because of the competition ruleset. We spar in kudo gloves that are just under 4oz - thing is the helmet you're wearing only protects from bruises/cuts. You're still getting smacked in the head - because of the ruleset - sparring tends to be less measured, more aggressive and because people feel safe wearing the helmet contact is a lot harder than it should be imo.

You can see the basic ruleset here:

http://www.kudoindia.org/rules.htm

The duration is 3min. There is only 1 round. If there isn't a clear winner - there are extensions until a winner is decided. This is why Kudo matches are very aggressive. The ruleset rewards aggressiveness so most kudo fighters are great aggressive pressure fighters but not so good at defensive fighting.

Sparring can be brutal at times as well because of the competition ruleset. We spar in kudo gloves that are just under 4oz - thing is the helmet you're wearing only protects from bruises/cuts. You're still getting smacked in the head - because of the ruleset - sparring tends to be less measured, more aggressive and because people feel safe wearing the helmet contact is a lot harder than it should be imo.
Yeah that's exactly what I figured. Thanks for the info.

Since the karatekas are gathered here, i'll take the opportunity to ask something else: I'm looking for a specific karate style. What I remember about it, but not 100% sure for all the details:

-Europe/france based (I think)
-Fighting without the top of the kimono (sure)
-Elbow pads (sure)
-MMA type of gloves (almost sure)
-Fighters had blue/red belts (almost sure)
-Take downs and submission allowed (I think)
-Was posted in sharedog a while back (sure)

It looked a lot like MMA, without the g'n'p (I think), and not in a cage obviously...

The MT stuff in Kudo is mainly basic clinching work, elbows & knees. You're right it's not pure MT - it's MT that's been adapted for the Kudo format.

There are positives and negatives with training Kudo though.
In other words mma

Since the karatekas are gathered here, i'll take the opportunity to ask something else: I'm looking for a specific karate style. What I remember about it, but not 100% sure for all the details:

-Elbow pads (sure)

It looked a lot like MMA, without the g'n'p (I think), and not in a cage obviously...
"Let Me Osu Bro"

I’d want to make fun of them for their crazy space helmets but those dudes are legitimately badass

I'm looking for a specific karate style.

Since the Karatekas here are, as expected, completely useless, I'll answer my self. (Honestly guys, if you spend less time doing katas, and more time helping people, the world would be a better place...)

It' was not a Karate style, but a karate tournament. (probably lasted a couple of years) can't find info pass 2012:

It had no submission, but g'n'p allowed for 5 secs and not to the head. And not all kinds of takedowns are allowed. It was called Karate pro fight:

Kudo is the competition system of Daido juku (although now the names are used interchangeably sometimes), a kyokushin+judo hybrid style created in the late 70 -early 80ies. The rule system was originally created for kyokushin, but it was decided the knockdown rules had already become to entrenched internationally to change, so the creator of the rules asked for and was granted, permission to leave and found his own style. Originally formally a karate style, they branded themselves a new art (also called kudo) about a decade ago. They still use the name karate where and when it suits them, though.
Over time, BJJ and MT and other fightsports has had its influences, but the core is still basically kyokushin and judo (with oldschool newaza).

The rules are basically heavily modified knockdown karate rules.
The fight last 3 min. If there are no winner you get up to two extensions for 3 min a piece.
You can do 2 attempts at grappling submissions for up to 30 seconds each.
You have 4 levels of points. The highest is Ippon (basically a KO or submission) -instant win, then you got 2 levels for momentarily stuns wazari and (dont remember the name), then the lowest score (dont remember the name for this either) are given for simulated attacks on a downed opponent, or for a throw.
One instance of a higher lever score is better an any amount of lower level scores, But if the two fighters have for instance , one wazari each, then the lower level points are tiebreakers.
You are allowed to strike to the opponents groin if you fulfil a condition based on height and weight ratio that never really made any sense to me.

How does it differ from Kyokushin budokai?

I’d want to make fun of them for their crazy space helmets but those dudes are legitimately badass

Believe it or not - those space helmets are extremely difficult to breathe in and fog up a lot. When I first started sparring in them I could barely spar for 3mins because of lack of oxygen. Sparring in that helmet for long enough would probably do wonders to cardio & anaerobic endurance (I've felt some benefits).

That said they are crazy space helmets. But if it means going home without looking like I've been gang-banged for 30mins. I'll take the crazy helmet any day lol.

Since the Karatekas here are, as expected, completely useless, I'll answer my self. (Honestly guys, if you spend less time doing katas, and more time helping people, the world would be a better place...)

when-i-accidentally-offend-someone-with-my-post-on-facebook_o_1114303.jpg

On a real note - I couldn't remember myself what it was called lol.

On a real note - I couldn't remember myself what it was called lol.

I thought it was a legit style of karate, not just a tournament... Kinda disappointed when I found out. But that's explain why it was so hard to find. Honestly, I would have been impressed if you had found it, even if I know that some of you guys really like to keep track of stuff like that...

Believe it or not - those space helmets are extremely difficult to breathe in and fog up a lot. When I first started sparring in them I could barely spar for 3mins because of lack of oxygen. Sparring in that helmet for long enough would probably do wonders to cardio & anaerobic endurance (I've felt some benefits).

That said they are crazy space helmets. But if it means going home without looking like I've been gang-banged for 30mins. I'll take the crazy helmet any day lol.

Why not just use classic boxing / kickboxing headgear? I dont get the bonus from having a plastic shield in front of my face. Its not fencing.

If its about cuts and bruises this should be enough and you can change between high protection Level (Winning) or just against cuts ( standard AIBA)

Why not just use classic boxing / kickboxing headgear? I dont get the bonus from having a plastic shield in front of my face. Its not fencing.

If its about cuts and bruises this should be enough and you can change between high protection Level (Winning) or just against cuts ( standard AIBA)

Kudo helmets provide better protection than Winning & standard AIBA from cuts/bruises. Winning & AIBA are designed specifically for protection with boxing gloves.

In Kudo we're sparring with kudo gloves which are just under 4oz so the plastic shield does a much better job of protecting from bruises/cuts.

-Elbow pads (sure)

It' was not a Karate style, but a karate tournament. (probably lasted a couple of years) can't find info pass 2012:

It had no submission, but g'n'p allowed for 5 secs and not to the head. And not all kinds of takedowns are allowed. It was called Karate pro fight:

I only just came across this thread so couldn't answer in time.

Pro Fight Karate was a competition format in France to try and save the reputation of Karate as an efficient martial art and also make Karate a professional sport with money earnings for the fighters. Most of the participants were predominantly from Shidokan Karate (a sub-style of Kyokushin which also has a focus on Muay Thai and Grappling) and Kyokushin Karate but there were also some participants from Muay Thai, Sanda, Kickboxing and other styles of Karate.

It was created by:
-Guy Sauvin originally a Savate fighter and Shotokan Karateka who has been National Technical Director of the French Karate Federation for 30 years and also Technical Director at a European and World scale for about 8 years.
-Alain Setrouk, a Kyokushin promoter and one of the advisers of the FFKDA who also founded the Kyokushin Jutsu Eskrim (a sub style / organisation of Kyokushin).

Both of them had a lot of competing experience at a world scale in the 60's and 70's, representing France in international karate tournaments.

A lot of the fights from the events are on dailymotion:

Pro Fight Karate 2, 3 and 4: http://www.dailymotion.com/ProFightKarate/playlists

Pro Fight Karate 2: https://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x23ki3

Pro Fight Karate 1: https://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x23kha

Back