This is a tremendous opportunity for Conor...

Snowfist

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
If he beats Nate he will be only the 9th man to do it in Diaz's last 17 fights!

I don't gamble...hell even if I wanted to I don't even know a sports betting platform which would accept my bet. But anything less than 20-1 odds would be unrealistic in my opinion.

The Diaz brothers are textbook overrated and here is why...

1. They have a cult following related to their disobedience of rules and public love for Marijuana. You can bet quite a few low lives will go throw down some cash they can't afford to lose on their favorite homies. Skewing the odds and presenting arbitrage opportunities.

2. They have an approach to fighting that a lot of people find stylistically pleasing (not me). The just bang, taunt and talk attitude they seem to have fostered means yet again that a few more fanboys will go and place a bet.

3. They run triathlons and swim long distances. I regularly see people reference this when talking about the Diaz brothers fighting prowess. The reality is that, although I commend the Diaz brothers for their interesting hobbies, the translation of this sort of training to fighting isn't significant. If being able to swim long distances and run long distances was a major influence on the game you would see more athletes training that way. The reality is that Diaz brothers have sealed their fate as journeymen fighters by training this way. Spending time developing cardio and slow twitch muscle fibers have left them both with unexplosive strikes and subpar strength.

4. They both have some controversial losses that their fanboys cling to and consider victories. Whenever the Diaz brothers realize they are going to lose they are clever...unlike other fighters that will go for broke and attempt to win by any means necessary, the Diaz Bros will complain verbally, taunt, laydown, middle finger etc...they stand behind the defense that they won under their own ruleset, the manly ruleset. Many of their fans forget that they still lost those fights, and so they will be more inclined to bet for them further skewing the odds.

5. People forget that neither Diaz will go for broke in order to win because that reality is in stark contrast to what each fighter claims and how they are marketed.

Lastly...in regards to Nate

* Nate is over-rated because people associate with him with his brother, who was frankly a much better fighter.

I respect the hell out of Nate and Nick and although I find their plodding style aesthetically unpleasing I respect its efficiency in a number of matchups. However, this isn't one of them.

Conor will eat Nate alive and he knows it. I am disappointed in Conor for pursuing this fight. Conor is a really relevant fighter at the moment and a Nate fight is pointless. I won't pay for this PPV because its just a money grab. I want to see the best fight the best. The UFC and Conor should have arranged to have a more suitable backup training in case this went down.

I don't gamble...hell even if I wanted to I don't even know a sports betting platform which would accept my bet. But anything less than 20-1 odds would be unrealistic in my opinion.

1. They have a cult following related to their disobedience of rules and public love for Marijuana. You can bet quite a few low lives will go throw down some cash they can't afford to lose on their favorite homies. Skewing the odds and presenting arbitrage opportunities.

2. They have an approach to fighting that a lot of people find stylistically pleasing (not me). The just bang, taunt and talk attitude they seem to have fostered means yet again that a few more fanboys will go and place a bet.

3. They run triathlons and swim long distances. I regularly see people reference this when talking about the Diaz brothers fighting prowess. The reality is that, although I commend the Diaz brothers for their interesting hobbies, the translation of this sort of training to fighting isn't significant. If being able to swim long distances and run long distances was a major influence on the game you would see more athletes training that way. The reality is that Diaz brothers have sealed their fate as journeymen fighters by training this way. Spending time developing cardio and slow twitch muscle fibers have left them both with unexplosive strikes and subpar strength.

4. They both have some controversial losses that their fanboys cling to and consider victories. Whenever the Diaz brothers realize they are going to lose they are clever...unlike other fighters that will go for broke and attempt to win by any means necessary, the Diaz Bros will complain verbally, taunt, laydown, middle finger etc...they stand behind the defense that they won under their own ruleset, the manly ruleset. Many of their fans forget that they still lost those fights, and so they will be more inclined to bet for them further skewing the odds.

5. People forget that neither Diaz will go for broke in order to win because that reality is in stark contrast to what each fighter claims and how they are marketed.

* Nate is over-rated because people associate with him with his brother, who was frankly a much better fighter.

I respect the hell out of Nate and Nick and although I find their plodding style aesthetically unpleasing I respect its efficiency in a number of matchups. However, this isn't one of them.

Conor will eat Nate alive and he knows it. I am disappointed in Conor for pursuing this fight. Conor is a really relevant fighter at the moment and a Nate fight is pointless. I won't pay for this PPV because its just a money grab. I want to see the best fight the best. The UFC and Conor should have arranged to have a more suitable backup training in case this went down.
cya march 5th

Good stuff. Diaz brothers are horribly overrated.

Too+long+didn+t+read+i+loved+this+gif+had+to_e13f5c_3339187.gif

I don't understand...First you said this is a tremendous opportunity for Conor to fight Nate then you make Nate sound like a tomato can. Since when is fighting a tomato can a "tremendous opportunity"?

I don't understand...First you said this is a tremendous opportunity for Conor to fight Nate then you make Nate sound like a tomato can. Since when is fighting a tomato can a "tremendous opportunity"?

A little sarcasm never hurt anybody. Diaz isn't a can but he is middle of the pack.

If you honestly don't think that most fighters are swimming, biking and doing road work in preparation for their fights, you are an idiot. Of course people do those things to train.

image.jpg

It's a tough fight. Nate's 'plodding'style has some intricacies you are obviously not aware of.

It's a tough fight. Nate's 'plodding'style has some intricacies you are obviously not aware of.

The 'plodding style' can and will be exploited by those with good wrestling and submission defence, a striker who implements leg kicks well, or an inside fighter who can slip a spammed jab and land hooks.

Conor has strong boxing defence and head movement. He will slip Nates predictable strikes and surprise Nate with his own variability. It will be a slaughter and the worst part is Nate is so one dimensional he won't change things up when he is losing. You will see dominance in the first two minutes and nothing will change until it ends. With other fighter's you know that there will be some adaptation in the fight adding excitement.

TS how does Conor's nut taste?
I am pissed at Conor for taking this fight and even talking about it before when he had just won the 145 belt. I don't like cherry picking overrated fighters on short notice.

Again, Sherdog gets really sensitive with this sort of thing. I respect Nate and Nick I really do. They have had solid careers in the UFC and that is no meagre feat. But, the reality is they are criminally overrated and it should stop.

honestly I'd be way more impress with Connor beating Nate or Nick than Dos Anjos and Jose. Diaz brothers have game, come to fight, and can pull upsets. Way more excited for this one, to be honest.

Definitely not a fan of Connor, but if he wins, I'd actually quit saying he's overrated after this fight.

Didn't read, but an overrated fighter in the top 5 seems like an oxymoron to me.

Back