This is a huge setback for Sandhagen

Rhood

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
He's in the same position as Calvin Kattar.
Being so close to the title shot, then losing, and now far away.
People are forgetting that there are numerous Bantamweight contenders rising up the ranks quickly, including Bantamweight Khabib.

He has to fight 2 more to be a contender again.

Last edited:
Nah, coin flip decision won’t put him back much. He’s probably still one win away. My guess is he fights Rob Font for the next shot after Aljo/Yan vs. TJ.

Just put your head down, and soldier on. He’s one win away from a TS. It’s not the end of the world. It just made the road a little longer.

I accept the judges decision no matter whether I agree, or not. You just gotta get back in the saddle. Excuses and poor judging is for losers. Just move on, or fold.

He was never that guy.

He got embarrassed by Sterling, then declared himself a “world beater” because he beat severely washed up Moraes and Frankie… had an easy road up, now let’s see him fight someone up and coming like him… Chito, Merab, Valiev, etc all good fights for him.

Anyone who thought Sandhagen was the real deal doesn’t know this sport… he was unproven and got exposed yet again when tested.

People are forgetting that there are numerous Bantamweight contenders rising up the ranks quickly, including Bantamweight Khabib.

It was close fight, if it was a KO yeah. But, seems most thought sand won. So his popularity didn't go down.

No it is not. It was a close fight with a controversial judges decision.

Kattar got nowhere near winning the fight with Max.

Not really, the brass seems to like him. He got choked out by aljo and was going to challenge for the title had the title match not gone awry for knocking out an old frankie edgar with a knee. He's really beat no other top contenders. He said the brass says he just has to win one fight and he'll challenge. who knows if that holds up, but I wouldn't be surprised. Like I said he was about to get a title shot off fighting frankie.

he's no Conor, Diaz, or Masvidal who seemingly absorb no damage to popularity in loss but he can easily learn to improve his fight IQ and technique. BW is a shark tank and the best will have to go through him.

Super close fight is only a minor setback.

Sandhagen vs Font is the fight to make. Winner gets a TS

Nah, coin flip decision won’t put him back much. He’s probably still one win away. My guess is he fights Rob Font for the next shot after Aljo/Yan vs. TJ.

He lost his number one contender fight against aljo, then his next fight was against number one ranked moraes. Now he loses his number one contender fight with TJ, so he'll probably get another number one contender fight. UFC wants him to win

No it is not. It was a close fight with a controversial judges decision.

Kattar got nowhere near winning the fight with Max.

He's referring to how each time they had a big chance to break through, they failed: kattar against zabit and Max, Cory against Aljo and TJ.

We have Yan vs. Sterling, if there is any controversy whatsoever we can safely presume there will be a trilogy. Afterwards we have Dillashaw, 100%. He has bigger name value and is a bigger money fight, compared to Sandhagen. I mean really bigger on both counts. So Sandhagen could easily be the third in line for the TS, provided he wins his next fight.

Who else beat TJ up that badly at BW since Dodson caught him at the TUF finale? I thought TJ actually beat Dom and Assuncao, but thought he clearly lost tonight.

To me, this was the best performance of Cory's career and validated that he is truly champ material. Teh rare Gus v Jones type performance where the loser on the scorecards gains more with the "L" than any victory previous. If that crazy judge does not give TJ round 4 (which even Luke Thomas said was "indefensible"), Cory is fighting for the title next. The guy is a good looking American, super flashy in the stand up and on the ground, always in exciting fights, and you better believe the UFC is frothing at the bit to see him ass the future of this division. If he were smart, he would change his last name to "O'Paddy" or something and go after the Conor Market$$$ like Marcus Davis did - he sure looks the part.

The more worrisome thing for Sandhagen is how little he did to go out there and take this fight. TJ was grinding, not looking his usual self because his knee was jacked and he was struggling to see from his right eye. What is Sandhagen’s excuse for letting that split D slip away? Dude needs to learn from this.

A super questionable split decision loss to the former champion is a "huge set back"?

A loss is a loss
6 months from now people won't remember this as a close fight.
They will only remember him losing, because losing stays on the record forever.

Not really.

Well actually maybe.

Reading the last few days how Dom beat TJ in similar circumstance gives me pause.

Back