This autistic student asked for a ‘fist bump’ and a selfie. He got two Title IX investigations.

ey2nxdi.jpg

Two different women had short interactions with this guy and both reported him for sexual harassment... while it could be people overreacting it seems like there's likely more to the story. To be fair the school had to get involved because of sexual harassment claims, so you can't really bash the school for their legally required diligence.

I don't know...the first incident seemed weird, but then the 2nd incident with the woman reporting him probably shows there's something more here that isn't being reported by the mother. I don't know, but just the way I feel as something is definitely out of place.

The GRE is pretty much the SAT for grad students. I took it in June. It's your standard verbal/math mashup, but it's also a bit more of an IQ test than a knowledge test. In terms of math, I don't think there's anything past Algebra 2 on there. No calc, trig, or stats (at least not beyond what you get in a high school algebra class), but the questions can be fairly tricky when you consider the time limit. The verbal is similar. I think any adult who reads regularly should be familiar with the vocabulary. The difficulty is in picking the right choice based on context.
What a fucking joke. Based on having taken and gotten a like 148 on the LSAT (lowest score is 120 where you basically don't answer a single question and perfect is 180) there's no way a test like the GRE could substitute it based on what I've experienced.

What a fucking joke. Based on having taken and gotten a like 148 on the LSAT (lowest score is 120 where you basically don't answer a single question and perfect is 180) there's no way a test like the GRE could substitute it based on what I've experienced.
I think it's a bit odd that it's used at all as there are also subject tests that can be taken instead. It's just another hoop to jump through in pursuit of higher education.

Due process is a major issue on college campuses. If there is a report of sexual misconduct, then the police should be involved. Failure to find enough evidence for a charge should end the schools investigation.

That's retarded. Men are under attack on campus.

So a strong, confident women who thinks women are just as capable as men filed an official complaint because a mentally challenged boy asked her to do a fist bump? She is so strong and brave. She is proving that women can do anything a man can do!

Where did logic and reason go? Why did colleges go insane and why are the adults not fixing this? She should have been laughed at and told to fuck off when she filed a complaint. A fist bump request is not sexual harassment.
I’m offended by the word retarded

Why is he even going to school? Seems like a waste of money. What can he really learn?

Your entire argument is "Oh, poor disabled person, we must automatically take their side in all situations, no matter what." No, we don't. His mom wants us to believe all these situations are manufactured, the multiple cases of sexual harassment, the failing grades? I don't buy it. He's not that interesting, nobody is going out of their way to mount a conspiracy against him. This is a developmentally delayed, autistic man who has sexual impulses he probably doesn't understand or control, he doesn't understand social norms because of his autism, most likely is unable to get a girlfriend, and he probably doesn't have any business being in a university to begin and only got in through some kind of pity program. I see no reason at all to defend him over the well-being of other students in the school.

When I saw the picture and the guy was black I thought “maybe that would be some protection against this craziness....”

But no - the Nazi-like #metoo movement has taken a life of its own and this guy is obviously another victim of it.

Too many instances of the worst-case-scenario playing out for me to think he's completely unaware of what he's doing.

The real thing here, imo, is if the school really did deny him the ability to defend himself and prematurely stopped the investigation - but still left the complaints on his file and handed down "corrective action." Fuck that, let's see what the actual issue is before we try to solve it - not only for the principal of due process, but the reality that you actually solve the problem by understanding it first.* There's a lot of missing pieces to this puzzle and the university should do the job finding and putting them together better if they're going to try at all.

I guess if your car doesn't start and you replace the battery maybe that starts the car. But if it's your alternator, that won't last long. And if it's the ignition, that won't do anything at all. So I think we could all agree that getting to the bottom of things is the best way to know what's at the bottom of things.

...there needs to be something done by state government and/or the federal government to regulate these college and high school kangaroo courts. It's far too easy to ruin someone's life through the disciplinary processes of the education system, where the burdens of proof and the substantive due process is much lower.

Well, we've got just the jurist for you. His name is Brett Kavanaugh, and he's been a critic of administrative overreach for a long time. He'll be on the SCOTUS in about a week.

Due process is a major issue on college campuses. If there is a report of sexual misconduct, then the police should be involved. Failure to find enough evidence for a charge should end the schools investigation.
Period. Dot. End.

Nothing more needs to be said. Kangaroo courts need to gone. They just encourage frivolous actions. (looking at you too Canadian human rights tribunal embarrassments)

Your entire argument is "Oh, poor disabled person, we must automatically take their side in all situations, no matter what." No, we don't. His mom wants us to believe all these situations are manufactured, the multiple cases of sexual harassment, the failing grades? I don't buy it. He's not that interesting, nobody is going out of their way to mount a conspiracy against him. This is a developmentally delayed, autistic man who has sexual impulses he probably doesn't understand or control, he doesn't understand social norms because of his autism, most likely is unable to get a girlfriend, and he probably doesn't have any business being in a university to begin and only got in through some kind of pity program. I see no reason at all to defend him over the well-being of other students in the school.
I get what you're saying but couldn't the argument be made those of us that are "normal" as in we understand social norms and shit should understand autistic people might not?

I feel there's more to this story than that article has but it can be said there needs to be an understanding there are those out there that due to autism, developmental delays, and other such things might not understand social norms like everyone else.

Assuming the stated is all factually accurate, poor kid. I'm a bit suspicious that this is the whole story as it seems strange that even the most vapid idiot would think either of the two situations - taken at face value - as sufficient to warrant a sexual harassment charge (i.e. I don't think an attention-seeking person of average intellect would think that they could get away with complaining of those situations as sexual harassment), but who knows, people are vile and dumb as shit.

If everything that is said is true that I feel bad for him. I'm skeptical about how true this is because there were more than just one person accusing him and every time it's always the other person misreading things. Maybe he just has bad luck I don't know. I could see this happening if he makes it a habit of going around campus asking everyone to take selfies. He will eventually run into the psychos doing that.

This is a weird story where I am hesitant to comment. I feel like these stories are the ones where only people who live and work on the campus, and regularly interact with the accused in question, tend to have a grip on the nuanced reality.

True but at the same time

"According to a charge letter dated Dec. 1, the student reported the incident as sexual harassment, claiming that Marcus “forcefully" placed [his] hand on her shoulder while taking a selfie with her.”

Seriously? During a consenting picture a touch or grab of the shoulder is worthy of a sexual assault charge, write up or whatever they call it. That is something that could have been addressed by her immediately saying something or just a talking to after. Can people not look at intent and use common sense. Especially if the guy is mentally challenged.

Even if he wasn't autistic, it sounds like nothing. Men are allowed to approach women and initiate in non-overtly sexual ways.. FIGHT FOR IT.

[QUOTE="Trotsky, post: 144202073, member: 506239"]My first impression is that I highly, highly doubt that this is all there is to the story.

EDIT: But, to be sure, there needs to be something done by state government and/or the federal government to regulate these college and high school kangaroo courts. It's far too easy to ruin someone's life through the disciplinary processes of the education system, where the burdens of proof and the substantive due process is much lower.[/QUOTE]
Of course you would

Back