1. Server maintenance is scheduled for today between 11AM and 2PM ET. The site will go down for 15-20 mins. We'll try to get it done before noon.

This 80 year old man has better boxing technique than mma fighters

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Dana's Moonface, Jul 25, 2020.

1. zapataxiv Red Belt

I agree with you

Dexter, HunterAcosta and AndyMaBobs like this.
  2. zapataxiv Red Belt

Don’t forget about boner vs Griffith at the tuf finale

Dexter and j123 like this.
  3. HunterAcosta Brown Belt

Its "you're". You're welcome.

4. HunterAcosta Brown Belt

I agree with everything you said except bout Tonon. I dont feel hes made an "honest attempt" at really delving into striking. His standup is basic at best and he is a grappler first and foremost. He still trains mostly grappling at danahers and puts a lot of time into mma ground and pound training, sub grappling and alot of wrestling. If you feel hes putting in a lot of work in boxing, where is he putting in this work?A guy like him should really be spending about a year just doing boxing,/muay this, taking a break from mma and really honing his stand up skills. I dont think hes doing this, but if im wrong please prove it to me.

5. AndyMaBobs Brown Belt

Y'know your basement? Well right underneath that.
    That wouldn't be a good idea. If your goal is MMA you should be training MMA and learning striking with the context of that. You certainly shouldn't stop BJJ and MMA, to learn boxing or muay thai, only to start training MMA and then having to re-learn everything from stance and also get to grips with BJJ again, while also learning to use BJJ in a way more appropriate for MMA.

He's on the right track. I doubt he'll ever be a big thing in MMA, but I would be quite glad if he proved me wrong.

RabbitPunch36 likes this.
  6. HunterAcosta Brown Belt

At his level, he wouldnt lose a darn thing in grappling taking a year off. He wouldnt have to relearn grips as he doesnt play with a gi. Have you seen him much? I said he has basic striking. I was wrong, He has below basic striking. Were splitting hairs. He maybe shouldnt take a whole year off and just do boxing. But he needs to make it a focus in his mma training, which he is not now currently. He has such great grappling now and is fightingi lower comp in One, that it doesnt matter now. He is a better Ryan Hall(bjj wise) but with less diversity of striking that Hall has. If he spends his career overseas he wont need to prob, get much better at boxing or striking in general, but if he wants to move to Bellator or UFC someday, he wont go far or rather, at best, hed be a Ryan Hall imo. I respect your analysis by the way and those vids you posted were right on. And honestly, he doesnt even need to become a master of boxing like Yan , just get the basics honed down as in mma, the basics(one two, slip, etc in boxing) can get you far.

7. tekkenfan Black Belt

sound logic

8. Reyesnuthugr Dominick Reyes Belt

There's a very good chance he could slep an 80 year old wrestler/mma guy

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    sonhow and Dexter like this.
  9. AndyMaBobs Brown Belt

If taking a year off to learn something else were actually a good thing to do, professionals would do it

Dexter likes this.
  10. Reyesnuthugr Dominick Reyes Belt

Don't they? Some go to Thailand for extended periods, even years and I'm guessing it's probably not for the bjj Thailand is renowned for (?) Seems they still have teammates to do MMA with so they don't completely forget that, but they're clearly over there to specialize in the specialty of that area.

That's just an example

MMA is still in its infancy- there's a lot of good ideas that pro MMA guys don't do yet. There's a lot of ideas they train now that they didn't before, and there's yet more that they will adopt in the future that they aren't doing now. Right?

HunterAcosta and Dexter like this.
  11. AndyMaBobs Brown Belt

So on this, very few MMA fighters actually go to Thailand to train Muay Thai, Thai boxers and kickboxers do, but MMA? It's not common.

The second point is when you do here about MMA fighters, particularly in the UFC, go to Thailand they don't go to a Singpatong, or a Sitmonchai, they always go to Tiger Muay Thai, which is an MMA camp with tons of BJJ (funnily enough, Petr Yan actually trains out of Tiger Muay Thai).

They don't stop what they're doing for a year and only work on one thing - that's an idea that sherdoggers seem to have, but it's not a thing you should actually do, nor do pros actually do it

Dexter and j123 like this.
  12. Reyesnuthugr Dominick Reyes Belt

Fair enough. I still think they should.

13. spacetime Yellow Card Yellow Card

See! Just as good as boxers:cool:

14. spacetime Yellow Card Yellow Card

Non existent footwork from the youngster.... The old man is just flailing his arms

15. spacetime Yellow Card Yellow Card

There are more fighters than Conor in MMA

16. spacetime Yellow Card Yellow Card

Where did he say that?

17. Dana's Moonface Red Belt

18. spacetime Yellow Card Yellow Card

Dana's Moonface likes this.
  19. Dana's Moonface Red Belt

His punching is below average by boxing standards

Majority of Mma fighters don't have the chin/power boxers do, as they don't spend the majority of their time punching

Conor does have very good timing by mma standards, but he is not a concussive power puncher

I 'shiver' when I look back at all the comments saying he will knock floyd out cold with one big left, as if he hits harder than Maidana, cotto, manny, Oscar, Shane, canelo, etc, etc lol

Reyesnuthugr and Dexter like this.
  20. SandisLL Brown Belt

Conor's chin had not been tested. Power? Yeah, I think he does have enough power to TKO/KO but his striking doesn't looks some kind top 200 in ammies or pros for boxe or KB/MT. Ofc this is MMA and he can add grappling = different world.