This 80 year old man has better boxing technique than mma fighters

Compare his bag work to conor's pathetic work pre floyd?

Conor even admits he cringes looking back at the training for Floyd

P. S I think this old guy would put manners into the geriatric beaters Perry and McGregor

Pensioner bless

How many MMA fighters actually keep their chin down?

If you ever train most gym do a boxing class and MMA, they will tell you flat out that boxing shit will not work in MMA.

You Bob and weave you're getting clinched or kneed.
Y
stance like that? Kicked or taken down,

Nearly everyone in my gym does Muay Thai and BJJ, no one just pure boxing, it's really a dieing art, as it's just so stupid to only fight with half of your limbs
Explains why so many mma fighters are boxing oriented strikers huh?

Explains why so many mma fighters are boxing oriented strikers huh?
Yes for sure but much different stance and hand positioning.

Even with Muay Thai, you have to adjust your stance for TDS.

It's why no one stands like a boxer you'll get taken down, clinched or kneed on the face all day.

You think that shoulder role shit is going to work? Lol, that lead leg getting eaten up then Double legged

I'd watch him and another senior citizen go at it.

That’s so awesome! He could literally sleep people at 80!

lol good luck getting him out of his standby contract.
This was filmed at Fight Island just in case Nog-Shogun needs a replacement.
d91.gif

I mean... yeah, he looks great. He was also most likely a boxer, I'd be worried if he didn't look better than MMA fighters on the bag

Dustin Poirer uses shoulder roll just fine. As with other boxing defences, everything has application in MMA. Just don’t be scared, homie!
True, but it's why so many MMA guys look like they hav shit boxing. Because they are throwing strikes for MMA in anticipation of a shot or a kick.

Unlike boxing
where you can stand legs wide apart, bladed shoulders, Bob and weave, front foot on that nice 45 degree angle , all the bullshit that will have your legs eaten up in MMA.

True, but it's why so many MMA guys look like they hav shit boxing. Because they are throwing strikes for MMA in anticipation of a shot or a kick.

Unlike boxing
where you can stand legs wide apart, bladed shoulders, Bob and weave, front foot on that nice 45 degree angle , all the bullshit that will have your legs eaten up in MMA.
Sure thing, pure boxing or MT will give you a very bad habits for MMA, especially if they’re your first exp in combat sports.

Many boxing nuances are rendered implausible in MMA. It doesn’t delegitimize boxing, nor does it negate its danger. It’s no different than any other martial art. Gordon Ryan would tap anyone in the UFC in BJJ. It doesn’t mean he submits everyone in an MMA fight. He’s gonna get punched in the face. Likewise, Floyd Mayweather has likely forgotten more about boxing than any MMA fighter will ever know, but it won’t matter much when he’s double legged in 9 seconds.

This doesn’t mean MMA fighters can’t improve their boxing, or that grapplers cant add layers to their submission game. Due to the dynamic nature of MMA, one can’t possibly be a Gordon Ryan and Mike Tyson at the same time.
I agree in general but I also think there is a lot more useful techniques mixed martial artists can learn from boxing than there is techniques that are not applicable. I also understand thats its very hard to make time to properly learn every phase of mma needed at a decent level (submission defence/offence, grappling, takedown defence, clinch grappling, clinch striking, striking in the pocket, striking at range) but in general most mma fighters have poor mechanics when it comes to even basic punching and defensive movements. In other words most of them look sloppy and they throw telegraphed punches.

I’d love to see high level professional boxers put on mma gloves and spar. It would be interesting to see what (if anything) it does to their punches and defense.

Then again, anyone who has ever worn a pair of 6-8oz professional boxing gloves will tell you the difference between them and 4oz mma gloves isnt much. Those pro boxing gloves feel small.

I would also argue that mma is a fist fight First. The take downs, wrestling, jits, kicks and everything else is secondary. Fighters throw more punches than the rest of the strikes combined and typically spend more time on their feet than on the ground.

Back