Thinking of getting my ear drained but if I do will I be able to train?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by PistolPeteMMA, Jul 28, 2010.

1. PistolPeteMMA

PistolPeteMMA Yellow Belt

I've got cauliflower ear pretty bad on my left ear. I started wearing a headgear and it's gone way down so I was happy. Well, last night we were doing takedowns and I didn't have the headgear on and now it's all blown up again. I've been thinking of draining it but was told if I do I won't be able to train for a month. I've heard that if you get it drained and hit it again it will fill up even worse. Not sure what I should do. I started icing it but I'm not willing to take a month off of my training.

Any advice?
    Pete

2. keynote

keynote Purple Belt

A month of training, or a permanently disfigured ear. It's up to you dude.

3. Respeezy

Respeezy Purple Belt

I understood that you have to let it get drain immediatly , like within 12 hours , for it not to remain permanent damaged( ugly).
    Or is that bs?

4. xcydal

xcydal I am in here.

Cauliflower ear = Instant explosive sex appeal.

Usually when mine swells bad, I just leave it alone for a day, apply some pressure and it goes down.

5. gsxrpaul

gsxrpaul Yellow Belt

I trained a few days after I got mine drained, but I wore headgear if the technique we were working on was anywhere near the head, or if we were sparring. Then again, the doctor drained mine, and put stitches in my ear so that it wouldn't fill back up.

6. Solidus Snake

Solidus Snake Purple Belt

Unless you are not doing this as a life-job, I would suggest you to rest and let heal your ear if you don't want some bad bumps on it.

7. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

It's not going to go away on its own. You either get it drained ASAP, or it's there for life. If you can't bear to not train for a week while it heals, then consider that the alternative is permanent cauliflower ear.

8. xcydal

xcydal I am in here.

What's with all the hate on cauliflower ear? If my ears went back to normal tomorrow, I'd be pissed. That shit is earned.

9. "Mata Leao"

"Mata Leao" Orange Belt

You might want to consider the long-term implications of having a disfigured ear. If you ever have a job where you are dealing with people, a disfigured ear could be a significant impediment. I work in finance and routinely have meetings with business associates and clients, as well as give presentations. I could never afford to have really bad cauliflower ear. I need to have people paying attention to what I am saying and not just thinking, "what the F is up with his ear". Oh, and despite what some people will say, women are absolutely repulsed by very bad cauliflower ear. One month of training really equates to nothing in the grand scheme of your life in Jujitsu.

10. Cojofl

Cojofl Brown Belt

I, luckily, don't get caulis, but a month sounds a bit long to me.

11. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

Some people are single and want to look appealing to the opposite sex. Others have spouses who don't want them to have that look.

Some people have professional jobs where appearance is considered important. Others have jobs where they deal with clients and need to look well groomed as well.

Some people are concerned about their health. During one of my instructor's cauli incidents, his ear canal closed up and he had to have it taken care of or he would have lost hearing in that ear.

Plenty of reasons that people might want to avoid it.

12. ACL Tear

ACL Tear White Belt

I started training when I was 28. I can't afford to have a disfigured ear. In the professional world people don't understand why you would let this happen to your ear. People will look at you like you are out of your mind even if you explain cali. Women for the most part are repulsed by it. Would you be attracted to a girl with cali?

I got Cali in my inner ear. I got it drained several time by a doctor (with insures $25.00 plus sick leave). Its barley noticeable now but I now where head gear every time I roll. Even with insurance its just not worth the time off from work (not to mention trainng) toI get it drained. Doing it yourself can cause bad infections. Its probably not common but why take a risk of having a real medical problem which will cost your money and training time?

If your younger and reading this please take into consideration what may be cool and a badge of honor now can in the future cost you the hot girl(s), good jobs, money, training time or your hearing. For me its just better to save the trouble and wear the headgear even if people make fun of me.

Trust me you will Never think about the headgear when you are not training (and barely when you are). You will think about cali every time you get a weird look from someone in public. Guess what they won

13. PistolPeteMMA

PistolPeteMMA Yellow Belt

I made an appointment with my doctor to have it drained tomorrow. I have a wrestling headgear that I've been wearing. So, after I have it drained I should still be able to train with the headgear on. I have 2 seperate headgears and one is a bit larger ear cup but it a bit harder with more protection so I'll just wear this. I won't allow techniques that cause any pressure at all on the ear and if I have to I will just drill techniques and won't roll until it's healed.

I work in sales so having cauliflower ear is not a benefit in any way shape or form and could impact the amount of money I make. I don't mind having a little bit of cauliflower ear but the way it looks now is not gonna fly. My wife is NOT happy about it at all.

I figure I will deal with it as I can and when I'm no longer training in BJJ I can get plastic surgery to repair it.

14. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Orange Belt

I personally do not want cauliflower ear on myself. It looks gross. If I want to show people what I've earned, I will show them m past belts, trophies, swords and medals that I have won over the years.

As for training, I don't think time really matters too much for healing when you're wearing headgear. I've used headgear and grappled for 23 years, had my ears drained numerous times and always trained within a couple of days of having it drained. Just be careful and let your training partners know if it's that big of a deal to you.

15. HardEight

HardEight Blue Belt

Drain it yourself.
    Put on the headgear.
    Never stop training.

This is what I do and never have any problems.

16. supersuk

supersuk White Belt

Drain it, wear your headgear while you practice, maybe even tape your ear to keep pressure on it. You dont have to miss a day.

Cauliflower ear is repairable, you can get reconstructive surgery on it and it looks brand new. I had it done, can't even tell the difference.

Cauliflower is a little bit of a freak occurance anyways, all it takes is one unlucky blow/rub. I dont even wear my headgear anymore, havent had cauliflower problems in over 10 years.

17. xcydal

xcydal I am in here.

No. This has not cost me girls or money in any way. I have cauli, and I still have a good job, girls and pretty good money. It has in no way detracted from my life. It is a 'badge of honor', to a lot of us, and it's something that other wrestlers/grapplers immediately recognize. I have never gotten weird looks, occasionally someone (usually while I'm working in Europe) might ask about it, but I just tell them I wrestled in high school/college. They usually just want to know if it's from rugby, they call it 'rugby ear' over here a lot.

It's easy for outsiders to try and belittle it and call it disgusting, but where I'm from (Iowa) it's a culture thing, and we're proud of it. I've had it since I was 14, and I've never noticed any negatives.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  18. kahyo

kahyo Orange Belt

Any of you guys got a suggestion for high quality head gear?

19. HomerPlata

HomerPlata Purple Belt

I thought you were joking in your earlier post. Guess not. Good luck with the whole ear thing. :eek:

20. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

Just for the record, some places consider cauli to be a badge of honour, other places not so much.