Thinking of getting a small breed dog. Any advice/suggestions?

I have a beagle and I'm glad I did. She is very affectionate, playful and smart. If and when I get another dog, I will go for a rescue beagle, from testing.

So yea me and the misses ate thinking of getting a dog. Right now the short list is of the following breeds (on mobile so can't do pics ATM):

American cocker spaniel
Beagle
Cavalier king Charles spaniel
French bulldog
Jack Russell terrier
Pug
Staffordshire bull terrier

Anyone ever have experience with any of these breeds and what were you're views of them. Any other suggestions other than these? Looking for something that's good with small kids and generally nice without agression issues.

So yea, help me out sherbros.

those breeds are all quite different. what are you and the old lady looking for in terms of personality and maintenance etc?

Shiba Inu. Greatest little shit head you'll ever own. You don't give a Shiba a command... you give them suggestions. I found mine in wandering the mean streets of Hilo HI and will never own another breed of dog. But I would not recommend one if you're a first time dog owner.

my brother just got one in january. he loves her to pieces, but we had an akita when we were kids, so he knows the drill.

Most dogs are good with children that live with them but don't always get along with visiting children, especially if they aren't used to the chaos that goes with children.

We have a male Westie and a female Mini Schnauzer and both are great dogs, the westie is a tad hardheaded but really loving and the mini is sweet as can be but barks at anything but can't go wrong with either imo

Little dogs are fucking annoying, usually.

Go for a chow chow, they look pretty badass and are pretty good temperment wise (one of my neighbours had one)

I have a mini jack Russell/yorkie cross, and he's awesome!!!

If I had to choose pedigree, I like the look of French Bulldogs, and I think a Pug would be funny to have around.

I've been in contact with mini schnauzers before. Great dogs. Gf doesn't like em tho.

I had an american cocker spaniel ad a kid and that dog was loyal to a t. Only problem was when we had guest over. He'd try to snap at them. God forbid I gave my mom or DAD a hug and he'd go apeshit. Friend had a Shiba inu and that dog was dumb as shit. Would piss when it got excited and if u left s window open it would bolt.

Gf likes the beagle and I like the cavalier King g Charles. Bit I'd go for either or.

As far personality, something lively bit calm at the same time. And for maintenance something low on maintenance. Also some thing that's easy to house train

1 vote against JRT's.

My sister has one. It killed another pet she had (a rat). It harassed another dog we had (a peek-a-poo). And when my sister was babysitting a newborn, it showed aggression towards the baby (though now that it's a toddler, no issues). It's getting chill now in it's older age, but it was a handful.

The peek-a-poo in question was a pretty good little dog.

I've never owned a small dog so I can't make a suggestion outside of that. If you don't have any other small animals/babies around, maybe you would like a jack russell terrier.

can i ask why you want a small breed?

i personally hate them, think theyre annoying as fuck and only ever see girls or asians who want them

husky-owner master race reporting in
10246293_10152044731178663_577917558169691739_n.jpg

its even more fun now that shes learning to talk, she says "hello", "i love you", "yes" and "no"

can i ask why you want a small breed?

i personally hate them, think theyre annoying as fuck and only ever see girls or asians who want them

husky-owner master race reporting in
10246293_10152044731178663_577917558169691739_n.jpg

its even more fun now that shes learning to talk, she says "hello", "i love you", "yes" and "no"

Smallish apartment and don't have the space for a big dog. Otherwise I'd be on the first train to huskie villd

another vote against shiba for inexperienced owners or people who do not plan on running the dog everyday

they have such a strong independent drive, they won't behave just for your sake like more obedient breeds. plus they do not get tired, if you try to ignore them until they calm down, it will not happen

i know 4 people who got shibas because theyre cute... only 1 worked out, because the owner has trained multiple dogs and took it running everyday

Smallish apartment and don't have the space for a big dog. Otherwise I'd be on the first train to huskie villd

ahh i see

i live an apartment also, but its 1060 sq feet, and both i and my fiance are runners. plus my situation allows me to take my dog with me throughout my day, she is only ever home alone for 3-4 hours a day

i used to have a weimaraner and lived in a garage. those are amongst the highest energy dogs in existence but as long as they have room to walk around and play with their toys and you run them for 1-2 hours a day, its alright

definitely not suggesting a husky for anyone who does not have a big yard or willing to run 6-10 miles a day tho
1011068_10152349557561663_1628346511_n.jpg

Back