Thinking of getting a small breed dog. Any advice/suggestions?

CardonaLJ**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So yea me and the misses ate thinking of getting a dog. Right now the short list is of the following breeds (on mobile so can't do pics ATM):

American cocker spaniel
Beagle
Cavalier king Charles spaniel
French bulldog
Jack Russell terrier
Pug
Staffordshire bull terrier

Anyone ever have experience with any of these breeds and what were you're views of them. Any other suggestions other than these? Looking for something that's good with small kids and generally nice without agression issues.

So yea, help me out sherbros.

Whatever you get just make sure its game bred

I love mongrels...on that list id prolly pick a beagle or jack russell terrier.

Patterdale terriers are worth a google. I'm going to get one when I get my first home.

Of your list I'd go with the Jack Russel, the Staffie or the Beagle.

I love mongrels...on that list id prolly pick a beagle or jack russell terrier.

Mutts are awesome.

I had these two dogs for a while - one was a purebred Maltese that was dumb as a box of rocks. Barely housetrained, couldn't even figure out how to play fetch on her best days. OTOH, the Maltese/poodle (same sire) was sharp as a tack. Lil fucker was outsmarting me all the time.

So yea me and the misses ate thinking of getting a dog. Right now the short list is of the following breeds (on mobile so can't do pics ATM):

American cocker spaniel
Beagle
Cavalier king Charles spaniel
French bulldog
Jack Russell terrier
Pug
Staffordshire bull terrier

Anyone ever have experience with any of these breeds and what were you're views of them. Any other suggestions other than these? Looking for something that's good with small kids and generally nice without agression issues.

So yea, help me out sherbros.

Over the years my parents, siblings or I have had cocker spaniels, French bulldogs and Pugs. All of them have been good dogs. Pugs can have breathing problems so be aware of that if you take them to high altitudes or on a plane. I have two dogs now and one of them is a shih Tzu that adopted me while I was out for a jog and I'd highly recommend them. I'm more of a medium to big mixed breed dog kind of guy but my shih Tzu is one of the coolest dogs I've ever seen. She's a major character.

I'd go for a Schnauzer, unless you want to the dog to be a kind of guard dog.

get a wiener dog mix, they make great dogs and being mixed they have a more functional body than your regular wiener dog

I'm pretty sure my dog is either a jack russell or rat terrier even though they said he was a min pin and he's great. very affectionate, smart and overall loving.

If you're considering a staffie, do it.

they're the nicest, most loyal, gentle breed of dogs (with good training) that will tear any home invader a new one in seconds.

You should rescue a beagle who was used for testing. Beagles are awesome. Either way adopt. They are extremely grateful.

Oh lawd, don't get an American Cocker when you can get an English Cocker. Much better looking dogs.

Also take into consideration the amount of time and money you want to invest grooming your new pal.

I have two yorkie poos and they definately need haircuts every two or three months. I drop them off at the groomers for three or four hours. The bill normally runs 40 to 60 bucks per dog.

I have to brush them at least 3 times a week to keep their fur looking good.

My sister has a chorkie. He does not need haircuts. She clips his nails at home. She does have to bathe him often cuz he likes rolling in "soils".

You will have a new friend for life. Im sure any dog you select will bring joy to you and your family.

I would pick a mini donkey

I like cocker spaniels. Also jack russells, I hear they are a bit of work but smart as hell.

In my experience Beagles are one of the most stubborn and difficult to train dogs to exist on this earth. It can drive you crazy. Unless you dont care about that. And theyre the kind of dog that just runs off into the forest or wherever when you unleash them (until theyre a bit older) and good luck catching him. Took my friend 2 or 3 days to find him one time. And it was a "trained" dog. Their drive is so strong they dont listen at all. Super annoying.

Other than that, Id be careful to not choose a breed that has many potential problems because of stupid cross breeding (pugs and such) or dogs that are very loud and obnoxious ( like those little white long haired terriers..).

Last edited:
I have had 2 Beagles and didn't like either of them. One was retarded the other was aggressive towards almost everyone including kids. I have a Corgi now, great with kids.

Shiba Inu. Greatest little shit head you'll ever own. You don't give a Shiba a command... you give them suggestions. I found mine in wandering the mean streets of Hilo HI and will never own another breed of dog. But I would not recommend one if you're a first time dog owner.

Cut the crap and get a big rat. Will come out to the same thing but you'll save on food bills and annoying barking.

Back