thinking about starting some training

berniesmack

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey, I. Made this thread in the wrong forum and everyone told me to make it here as ill get more/better help. I am 20 years old and have no martial arts experience. I am a huge fan of everything mma and would like to start takin some classes. Im just wondering if there is anything I should know before I start to look/pick a school. I know that the first couple weeks im gonna be lost and getting my face smashed by someone probably younger than me but ill go into this very humble just trying to learn. I think bjj interest me the most so ill properly look for a good bjj gym. I would love to compete after I've trained long enough and am we'll prepared.

Some questions I have are pricing, good schools in my area, and anything info that wil help me start my training off better. Thanks...

In terms of location, there's a few gym databases/maps you could check: I think the most comprehensive for the US at the moment is TrainJiuJitsu.com. bjjMap.com also has a bunch, and the Gym Database is shaping up nicely.

In terms of pricing, you're liable to be paying a fair bit when it comes to BJJ, but while expensive, it tends to be high quality (depending on where you are, can range from $100 to $200 a month, though there are places for less than that, as well as more). If it proves to be out of your price range, then judo is a widely available (and almost always much cheaper) alternative. Wrestling is a good choice too, especially if you're still in the education system.

Hey, I. Made this thread in the wrong forum and everyone told me to make it here as ill get more/better help. I am 20 years old and have no martial arts experience. I am a huge fan of everything mma and would like to start takin some classes. Im just wondering if there is anything I should know before I start to look/pick a school. I know that the first couple weeks im gonna be lost and getting my face smashed by someone probably younger than me but ill go into this very humble just trying to learn. I think bjj interest me the most so ill properly look for a good bjj gym. I would love to compete after I've trained long enough and am we'll prepared.

Some questions I have are pricing, good schools in my area, and anything info that wil help me start my training off better. Thanks...
Mate, you live close to one of the best trainers out there. Go to Kimura/Nova Uniao BJJ, with inst Jean Kleber. he gave me my blue belt when I was about your age..

KIMURA Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu > Home

Boston is actually a great place for you, there are tons of choices in the area.. and many of the schools send fighters to compete in the many local MMA events.

MassMMA.net - School Listings

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back