Thinking about leaving my gym

I'd join another gym, but if you're meeting people that want to learn jiu jitsu near you, why not get some mats and have your own little club too?
Hopefully I can come across some people that wanna train nearby and get something setup.

Stay there and learn anything from youtube, books and stuff like that.

You do not have anything else within 1 hour drive.

You have a place to train, make the most of it.

Stop expecting to be spoon fed techniques.

I know it is not fair but so is life.

It would build you character.

Really?

So keep going in a paying top rate for somewhere that has two classes both of which has people who aren't qualified to instruct and don't really show proper technique. Also each class struggles to get 3-4 people who are either brand new white belts, people who show up randomly or people who train in a dangerous manner. Who the heck is "spoon feeding techniques? I'm not asking to get a private from a black belt 7 days a week. I'm asking for someone to run the class with a decent level of competency and with some basic planning for their students so people can make some basic progression.

Also I'm unsure how going somewhere that's not run properly builds character? If I was going to a school where I was being trained hard and getting smashed on the mats by good guys and needed to improve my game, I could see how that would build character through struggle and hard work. But seeing as my classes are usually hoping someone shows up to teach, watching a poorly run class and hoping to get 10mins of rolling time at the end, I'm not sure if that's going to build character. I can watch all the youtube vids in the world but if the gym doesn't have the basic numbers, coaching or classes for me to apply these things, then what's the point? I mean would people want to pay money to go to college where classes don't run properly, aren't organized, the teacher has little knowledge of the subject and people aren't in a place to learn properly?

"I know it is not fair but so is life." - Yeah but in life you can also make changes to try and improve your situation or at least get away from shitty places. I've been at this place for a number of years now and watched it go from a good school to a shitty one and sat through its steady decline. While instructors and students have jumped ship I've hung around and been loyal to the club and tried to make the best of the situation but over time but I get less and less to the point where I get little tech knowledge or rolling time. I can appreciate the whole 'toughen up ' attitude but adversity has a point if you're getting something out it at the end. This place takes my time, money and slowly killing my love for BJJ. Also after going to a class and rolling with the 100+kilo aikido/judo guy the other day (who decided he wanted to go light ) before grabbing my toes and ankle with his hands and trying to wrench my foot out of the socket, I'm pretty sure I'm going to rack up some injuries due to the shitty duty of care there also.

Really no one likes being in a toxic relationship where they don't look forward to seeing the person, don't enjoying being with them when they're there and doesn't get anything out of the relationship.
At the end of the day they realized they've spent their time and money on this thing and aren't happy or better off for it. Yet they stick around and be miserable hoping things will get better when there's no evidence it will but they're going to stick with it and feel miserable because they're scared they're going to lose something that's not really there anymore.

Sorry to hear. Doesn't sound worth it. Quit. Join a gym gym or something and get swole.

Lol. I already do a bit of that.

Started checking out this new boxing gym the other week and was pretty good and had good people. Will also start traveling up to the city soon and start training with a couple of black belts and smashing out a week of classes twice a day.

Really?

Really no one likes being in a toxic relationship where they don't look forward to seeing the person, don't enjoying being with them when they're there and doesn't get anything out of the relationship.
At the end of the day they realized they've spent their time and money on this thing and aren't happy or better off for it. Yet they stick around and be miserable hoping things will get better when there's no evidence it will but they're going to stick with it and feel miserable because they're scared they're going to lose something that's not really there anymore.

I deleted most of the comments.

Not because they are not true.

Yes, you have a right to be angry that as a consumer you feel like you getting ripped off.

However, you mentioned you got no BJJ and no Judo within an hour drive.

You seems like you care about improving.

All I am saying is instead of looking at this situation as a loss.

Look at it a different way.

You are paying for space mats and the opportunity to train with others that share similar interests.

That counts for something. It costs money to have mats and location etc..

So pay up the money and enjoy it.

The teaching is no good. so what? get started and learn on your own.

Tap people out and get moving.

They tap you. SO what? no big deal,it is just training.

One of my student came from such background is the best guy I ever rolled with.

Because he was self taught, he was so open to learn new stuff and he did.

Every time I show him something new, he just use it against me right away and succeed.

It is like you show him a new video and he finish it within a session: game over!

Also, he remained humble as he knew what it takes to build a club and team.

When I started my new club, I never worried about the numbers and stuff like that.

I saw my instructor build his gym from nothing and I was part of it.

I knew I could do the same.

Like I said, your position is not ideal at the moment.

But it is worth the try if you are keen.

Let put this way:

Do you want to give up and then find out someone else open BJJ gym down your town in 2 years time?

As a consumer you feel like you getting ripped off.

Yes. I am getting ripped off.

You are paying for space mats and the opportunity to train with others that share similar interests.
That counts for something. It costs money to have mats and location etc..
So pay up the money and enjoy it.

Actually it doesn't. As I mentioned, I already own mats and have access to another venue with mats. So on that front it makes the gym I go to obsolete.
As for people training, the gyms BJJ brings 2-4 people per class. They are either first week noobs who leave after a few weeks, people who don't want to train but instead talk or people who have histories of being assholes and beating up on other students or being increasingly hard to work with and have driven other students away. So IF they show up they are usually are little benefit.

The teaching is no good. so what? get started and learn on your own.

Already do that. And if the teaching is poor and pretty much pointless, then again the gym is obsolete.

Tap people out and get moving.

Already do that

They tap you. SO what? no big deal,it is just training.

Who said it was?

One of my student came from such background is the best guy I ever rolled with.
Because he was self taught, he was so open to learn new stuff and he did.
Every time I show him something new, he just use it against me right away and succeed.

That's good for him. If a person can get by on being self taught, then what's the point of my gym? Also my gym hardly teaches, let alone teaches new stuff. Therefore I need to seek out new instruction.

Also, he remained humble as he knew what it takes to build a club and team.

That's cool. I too know what it takes to build a team and a club. However the management of the gym have little intention of doing that and have not put in the upkeep the last 2 years to manage its students and team and has shown little intention of doing so. I don't manage this gym. I have no control over how they run things, so even if I want to I can't change the way they manage it.

I saw my instructor build his gym from nothing and I was part of it.
I knew I could do the same.

Ok cool. But again, what's this have to do with me? I'm not looking to build a gym. I want to exchange money for a competent instructor and a decent number of students who are willing to train in a productive manner. This school now doesn't provide this.

Do you want to give up and then find out someone else open BJJ gym down your town in 2 years time?
I don't care to be honest. I think it would be good if someone opened another BJJ school in town as it would provide a better service than what's currently there. Also I won't be in this town in 2 years so I'm not worried. I've seen another gym go down a similar path. Poor teaching methods, poor management, disinterest in students well being. I speak to people who still go there and hear stories on how they feel unhappy, they're not making progress and not being looked after but they stay there due to a sense of loyalty or they're worried about having to somewhere else or travel for proper training.

Also I'm not giving up on BJJ. Never said I was. I'm leaving a club that can't provide basic services that it claims to provide. I stuck with the school for 2 years and it's gotten worse and worse. The school offers extremely little to progress in BJJ. So you're saying stay there, continue to go in and spend my time and money there in a enviroment that is caught in a cycle of failing its students and not helping them progress? Stick around in a hope that somehow everything will magically get better even though there's the sheer evidence it won't. Go to a place where people aren't happy and is becoming a toxic enviroment. Go home unfulfilled but pretend me be happy and thank god that I get to be around a pale, broken version of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu?

I'm going to put forth a plan that I probably mentioned above.
I'm not going to go to that club anymore. Automatic benefits - save money have more time and instantly happier in my day to day.
With the extra time I'm going to have I'll start training BJJ more on my own more and build up my skills based on proper research and not what some coach pulls out of their ass 2 mins before class.
Also with this free time I'll join a local boxing gym and develop new martial arts skills as well as more athleticism to apply to BJJ

I'll then go to the city, join the new gym and once a month go there for a week train hard 2-3 times a day for a 7 days. I'll be around black belts who care for their students and work off a syllabus, be around a full class of motivated people and be around a safer, positive enviroment. I'll end up getting more classes and mat time in that week then I would in a whole month at my current gym. Pros of this - learning actual BJJ, have proper coaches who can guide my progression, get actual mat time in rolling with range of people, be happier with my general experience off BJJ. I might even save enough money to get a private lesson off one of the coaches :) . Also I'll probably get some time each month to go to the closer affiliate gym and get in a day or two of classes.

Back at home I'll also seek out some people to hopefully train with during the week. Possibly even seek out some of the people who have ditched the current gym and sort something with them. Who knows. Really I'd rather take the personal responsibility all on myself to get some sort of training and move on in a positive way. Will it involve traveling, hard work and dedication? Yes. but better than sitting around a place that doesn't deliver hoping someone else is going to get their shit together to deliver what they're suppose to.

I appreciate the time you took writing what you did. However due to my direct relationship to the situation and also the advice of others, unfortunately there's points that I see different.

Dude.

From what you wrote, you should just open your own club.

Best of luck.

Man, as I wrote above "I'm not looking to build a gym. I want to exchange money for a competent instructor and a decent number of students" Locally at most I'd wanna find a couple of people to train with a couple of times a week. Building a whole club from scratch brings me no closer to my actual goal of being taught BJJ.

Back