Thinking about leaving my gym

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by ava122, Feb 18, 2016.

1. ava122

ava122 White Belt

Hey everyone.

I've been training at a gym for a couple of years and am thinking about leaving. In the last year we've lost 2 instructors. One left, another joined and took over the class and then left a few months later. Pretty much we only have 2 BJJ classes a week and the instructor would run those. A student took over for one of the classes but he was random with showing up and also with what he taught and has since disappeared.
    The school does have another gym about an 1+ hour away with some purple belts and some people who train but due to its location I can't get there.

The guy who owns the school has taken over for one of the classes teaching however I've found the classes aren't planned, he jumps all around the place in terms of teaching and we pretty much breeze over some technique and the majority of the class is spent on warming up and having a roll. The other day he showed me a technique which he wasn't even that sure of how to do, ran through it twice with me then went off to help the other guys while I sat there. He then forgot the syllabus then had to ask me to fill in the blanks and showed what he'd forgotten. Pretty much we may get 5-6 people max come to the class. Other times it's 2-3.

The other class was suppose to be run by some of the purple belts from the other club, the owner and a recently appointed blue belt. So far none of these purple belts have shown up and the class has only run by this blue belt. Similar to the other class, long warms ups and rolling and they maybe spend 30% of the class on tech and the actual instruction is pretty crap. They've also taken it upon themselves to get the class to do judo techniques (due to their apparent knowledge of judo) even though this isn't part of the curriculum and no one wants to do it. I pulled up the owner about the these purple belts coming here to teach and he's now "Umming" and "ahhhing" and saying this might only now happen occasionally and not a regular thing.

Unfortunately there's no other BJJ schools near by but I'm at the stage where i'm paying a bunch of cash and getting nothing out of it besides the occasional roll. I realized I am only really making gains through self study. People are dropping off and the class is made up white belts who only stick around for a couple months. We've also got some characters like some retired akido/judo guy who roughs everyone up and wrists locks people and does shitty 'street' stuff like elbows in the throat and sticking fingers inside ears. After rolling he'll pull you up a yak about how you're suppose to defend it. He also likes to make weird "HIYA" sounds while rolling. There's another dude who rocks up randomly, usually 15 minutes late to class and then spends the class talking through tech and going on about amazing moves he'd reckon would work. He then disappears for a few weeks to then resurface to talk about more amazing concepts.

I tried to get a bunch of newer guys to come in and train on the side and drew them up a basic syllabus for them to follow. The were super enthusiastic came a bunch of times and trained and said they were learning what I was showing. After a few classes the excuses about being tired and wanting to go out instead ect ect. I tried to get them back in but they don't bother showing up or returning calls.

At the moment I'm thinking of canceling completely and joining a club in the city. This will mean I can only go there and train once a month and hours of travelling. Pretty much just take a week off and travel up to the city & train 5 days a week twice a day and then come home. It isn't very practical but at least I'll be learning something and be around motivated people and black belts instead of throwing money down the drain and hoping for things to get better. I'm sure the owner will give me grief for leaving but what can ya do?

Has anyone been in this situation or have any comments?

Thanks for reading my pity party.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  2. Allan san

Allan san Green Belt

Get the hell out of dodge

3. skombolis

skombolis Gold Belt

Sounds like you know already what you gotta do. It may be inconvenient but at least you will be moving in a positive direction. Best of luck to ya.

4. mattemate

mattemate Brown Belt

Tough it out, quitter.

5. kpoz12

kpoz12 The No Life King Platinum Member

Aw shit, am I your teacher?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    Badger67 likes this.
  6. Badger67

Badger67 Taxidea taxus

I swear this is nearly a page out of my most recent adventure. Where are you situated in canada?

I say leave and find a better gym even if its less often. I'm at a point where i just might start training free lance myself.

7. the heed

the heed Look at the size of that boy's heed.

If you don't think you are getting anything out of your gym, time to find another one.
    Your time and money is precious to you. No need to waste either of them.

8. Sexy Pants

Sexy Pants Blue Belt

Why don't you stay at your current gym and do the city thing you spoke about as well. The truth is you seem more dedicated than the rest, so you'll get better faster and maybe you'll be able teach and gather students. Also work to beat the fuck out of the wristlock dirty penis.

9. ava122

ava122 White Belt

Tough what out? There's literally nothing to tough out as there's nothing happening at my gym. If anything the current plan of traveling further to do classes is the tougher option and seeing as I'm willing to travel a greater distance for proper training elsewhere would indicate I'm not quitting...

10. Ton

Ton The master of Potato Plata

. .

I think he was being facetious.

11. ava122

ava122 White Belt

I have been doing that but the thing that and visiting other gym when I can. However in terms of doing both and staying at my current gym, I pay a bunch of money each week to my gym but the classes deliver little benefit and are run rather poorly. Yet they take money out of my account each week. Also people hardly show up and the average new guy only stays a few weeks. And I don't blame them as the way the classes are run are usually confusing and poorly executed and by the time they realized they've spent $200 on a gi.

So pretty much I pack my gi up, go out to the gym hope that there will be a decent class or more than 2 people will show up. I do what ever form of class happens and usually the most I get is 10 mins of rolling time and then I go home with out gaining any new knowledge.

As for teaching, as mentioned above I've spent time recently trying to get some new guys in to train. However they're all into it for a little while but then they get lazy, start making excuses and don't want to train. I've spent my own time planning stuff out for them, trying to organize sessions for them to come to but after a while it becomes a exercise in futility and realizing these guys don't want to put any time in.

I have no issue with putting in extra effort but the gym is now lacking the two basic ingredients for training - competent instructors & students. Without this its hard to make progress. And when the gym still takes X amount of money from me each week it's even more annoying.

12. ava122

ava122 White Belt

oh

13. T-Bone

T-Bone Banned 2X but still here Double Yellow Card

Gracie University perhaps? It has its faults, but sounds better than your current situation.

Even if you did take 1 Week off per month and train 5 days straight, we learn best thru frequent repetition. 1 Week on, followed by 3 weeks off, and you might not get as much benefit as you think. But you might. Dunno.

I feel for ya... bad situation. Research Gracie University.

-T

14. ava122

ava122 White Belt

I've seen a little bit of Gracie University. I'll go back and have another look at it. I've got access to other training resources but G.U might be a thing to check out.

"we learn best thru frequent repetition. 1 Week on, followed by 3 weeks off, and you might not get as much benefit as you think."
    I totally agree about repetition being best and doing the big hit of training then weeks off is far from ideal. However when I do go in the gym the actual lessons are not taught well and the rolling isn't that great nor is there usually anyone there so there's minimal training partners.

A big part of it is just to be in a positive enviroment. The gym I'm thinking of joining has lots of people who are all really cool and the instructors are really nice, talented and super professional. When I've been there before I'm always in a great mood afterwards. Compare this to a place where hardly anyone shows up, people have a crap attitude to training and have crappy egos and the instructors aren't that into what they're doing or that organized. Basically it's a bummer to be around and puts my general experience of BJJ in a negative light.

I should also note I've got mats at home and a grappling dummy. So I won't be sitting around for 3 weeks. I can still do drills, exercises and practice new moves. Not as good as having training partners but it still gives me options to work on BJJ.

15. T-Bone

T-Bone Banned 2X but still here Double Yellow Card

Sounds Like a plan. Give the new gym a shot and, like you said, you have access to practice somewhat for the 3 weeks away from that gym.

Does the new gym have contract only? Or will they let you go month to month? Just curious.

-T

16. ava122

ava122 White Belt

I'm not too sure. I'm guessing it's month by month. I have trained there in the past as a drop in and the owner basically would say come in and train as much as you want for the and just pay what my regular students pay for the week. Which was a pretty cool deal as some places would make you pay a per class drop in rate which is pretty expensive.

I'm going to have a chat with him soon and basically explain the situation and how I can only come up once a month and if I can become a member but just pay for the week and not the whole month as I'll only be there 1/4 of the month. Hopefully they can make an exception. Also found out they have an affiliate school about halfway where I live and they are. So maybe once a month I can rock there also and do a couple of classes. I'm pretty sure they've got a thing where if you're a member of one of their schools then you can train at any other one.

17. Big_Chief_Stove

Big_Chief_Stove Silver Belt

I'd join another gym, but if you're meeting people that want to learn jiu jitsu near you, why not get some mats and have your own little club too?

18. These Two Hands

These Two Hands Our revenge will be the laughter of our children

...in before cabbage-based side dish references...

19. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

Stay there and learn anything from youtube, books and stuff like that.

You do not have anything else within 1 hour drive.

You have a place to train, make the most of it.

Stop expecting to be spoon fed techniques.

I know it is not fair but so is life.

It would build you character.

TheGZA and Pierced7681 like this.
  20. Vitamin C

Vitamin C Black Belt

Any judo nearby?

lechien likes this.