thinking about Kyokushin competition

Hey guys, I am considering possibly competing in a kyokushin karate fight or tournament. Would like to hear your guys thoughts and opinions about this? How much different will my training be vs muay thai? I am thinking basically the same, just dont punch the face, and be prepared for axe kicks and spinning kicks.

Yup axe kicks and spinning kicks caught my kid by surprise against a karate kid.

What about shotokan?
As a former Shotokan practitioner I'd say that Shotokan is the Kendo Karate style. In some aspects it's more Kendo than Karate.

Hey AMTT, I think you might be interested in this particular individual - Sakmongkol Sithchuchok. He was one of the best MT practitioners during his era. After retiring from Muay Thai he transitioned to Kyokushin and did very well.

Here is a short clip of him competing in Kyokushin:

Here is his bio: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakmongkol_Sithchuchok

Yup, from WoW: Battle Mage, from Japan: Masterless Samurai, and from Irland: Little seal.

I have problems
The Japanese "ronin" has no "h" though. BTW you've misspelled "samurai" in your sig.

Yes, I'm a grammar nazi.

I thought kendo was a sword fighting style though?
Kendo as an art is only to the first strike - the idea being that if you've managed to land a solid strike on someone with a sword, they're dead and you don't need to keep fighting.
Funakoshi, who founded Shotokan, was very influenced by Kendo and tried to inculcate an idea of his students treating their limbs like swords, which is why point fighting has become a thing in Shotokan - the assumption is that if you can hit someone, you've won. Which pretty much everything else shows in bollocks, but it's kind of ingrained in the style now. Due to that issue, the scoring of Shotokan favours someone who manages a clean hit first - regardless of whether that hit has any significant power behind it, which is possibly a reason that Shotokan has become so sporty since it was founded.

If you think you can train the same as MT just without face punches to prepare for a Kyokushin tournament you're mistaking. You'll be really confused when someone is going to walk you down and blast you with all kind of strikes and you won't be able to punch to the face or clinch.

If I were you I'd get as much sparring in as possible vs. real Kyokushin practitioners to get used to the distancing, the way they move and set up their strikes, their combos, etc. This is probably also a good way to condition your body because it's quite gruelling to the body.

I've seen a few Muay Thai guys trying to fight in Kyokushin tournament and they usually either get disqualified for fouls (punching the head by reflex especially when they get sworn by attacks, excessive clinching, grabbing the gi or the kicks, etc.), or they lose decision after the first round because they're too passive - there's a decision after every round so you could lose after the first round which means you have to go all in from the start, unlike in MT where you have 5 rounds to go through so you gotta pace yourself- or they get KO'd by flashing kicks they're not used to (spinning heel kicks, rolling thunder kicks, close range Brazilian kicks, etc.) or even finished by low kicks. Thinking of it I can't recall seeing any of them going very far in any tournament to be honest, they're usually just not accustomed enough to the rules and type of fighting.

Last edited:
Back