Think I've hit a plateau on SS

FlowWithTheGo23

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Everything has been stalled out for a few weeks now. In an attempt to fix it, I've taken about 10% off my lifts. I've also started doing assistance work (pullups), as I'm about in the program where I should start doing that. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Sounds good. Have you read the book and/or the wiki? It explains what to do when you plateau (i.e. deload, like you have done) and what programs you can move onto after you deload a few times.

What do the starting and current numbers look like? How long have you been running it?

I read the book, but it was like two years ago. I keep it on hand as a reference guide I guess. This is actually like the third time I've done SS, but sort of failed on it in the past. I'd get some sort of injury from BJJ or something, and everything would fall apart.

I found a good schedule this time, so I'm hoping things go differently.

What do the starting and current numbers look like? How long have you been running it?

Running it for about 3 months. I've been doing it as a two day split. I've also missed two weeks about a month back (vacation/sickness), and another week about two months ago (pulled muscle).

Starting numbers-
BW-178 lbs
Squat-135 lbs
Deadlift-185 lbs
Bench-135 lbs
Press-95 lbs
Power clean-95 lbs

Current numbers-
BW-185 lbs
Squat- 185 lbs (did sets of 165 last night)
Deadlift- 245 (Did 225 last workout A)
Bench-155 (did 150 last workout A)
Press-135 (did 105 last night)
Power cleans-135 (Did 130 last night)

I hit a plateau as well. Taking it down 10% and adding in some more stuff.

I'm doing SS too and whenever I hit a plateau I deload and I've been able to continue progressing thanks to that.

Check your form on each of the lifts, stronglifts.com has really good form advice and it helped me a lot.

Are you also sleeping and eating right ?

Are you using a belt for squat and deadlift ?

Running it for about 3 months. I've been doing it as a two day split. I've also missed two weeks about a month back (vacation/sickness), and another week about two months ago (pulled muscle).

Starting numbers-
BW-178 lbs
Squat-135 lbs
Deadlift-185 lbs
Bench-135 lbs
Press-95 lbs
Power clean-95 lbs

Current numbers-
BW-185 lbs
Squat- 185 lbs (did sets of 165 last night)
Deadlift- 245 (Did 225 last workout A)
Bench-155 (did 150 last workout A)
Press-135 (did 105 last night)
Power cleans-135 (Did 130 last night)

Seems like you should be able to milk gains for a bit more. Are you stalling everywhere or on certain lifts? Have you failed sets? If so, how far did you make it through?

Perhaps the pullups will help my bench/SOHP. Is there anything I can do to help squats/deadlifts?

If you want to help your bench/SOHP you would be better off doing heavy rows over chins.

To help your squats and deads the best thing is good rest and diet at this point.

Your squats are way low compared to everything else
is there a reason why?

*seems weird but goblet squats more than anything helped my squat strength more than anything because all of the stablizers are strengthed

And if you can't ten pull ups you have problems with your lats and that would hold you back on bench in a huge way.

If you want to help your bench/SOHP you would be better off doing heavy rows over chins.

To help your squats and deads the best thing is good rest and diet at this point.

I only did those because that's what's recommended.

In regard to some of the other questions...maybe I could eat a little more? No, I don't drink a gallon of milk a day, but I feel like I eat pretty well.

I feel like my form is pretty good, until I start pushing the weight. I was trying to put up 185 about a week too soon, and my form was pretty crappy. I got the weight up, but my knees were buckling in, etc.

Perhaps the pullups will help my bench/SOHP. Is there anything I can do to help squats/deadlifts?

First off, your deadlift should be higher. Attack it.

I am going to decrease and add in single leg squats just to give my legs something new then go back to my old workset in 2 weeks.

Also, try zercher squats should help with your internal aduction on your knees on the squat. Start low weight and just incorporate them.

A form check is never a bad idea.

Your squats are way low compared to everything else
is there a reason why?

*seems weird but goblet squats more than anything helped my squat strength more than anything because all of the stablizers are strengthed

Because I'm weak? Idk, don't have any injuries or anything. I always find this odd, because people tell me I'm strong on the mats and all of that. I really have no idea why I'm such a pussy when it comes to weight.

I only did those because that's what's recommended.

In regard to some of the other questions...maybe I could eat a little more? No, I don't drink a gallon of milk a day, but I feel like I eat pretty well.

I feel like my form is pretty good, until I start pushing the weight. I was trying to put up 185 about a week too soon, and my form was pretty crappy. I got the weight up, but my knees were buckling in, etc.

yeah it's the barbell squats that's doing it. Your stabilizer muscles in legs particularly hips and quads are weak. goblet squat and wall squats. Start off with a 45 lb plate or dumbell and try them. Do that 2 or 3 times, while do a little normal squating. then come back in 2 or 3 weeks and watch. also if you have chains or resistance bands you can work with those as well

2gwexk1.jpg

rubksj.jpg

11gmu7r.jpg

try these three if you can

And if you can't ten pull ups you have problems with your lats and that would hold you back on bench in a huge way.

That's good to know. I used to be able to do 20 (a few years ago), but haven't done them in forever. Did my first set the other day and could only pull out 6...pretty embarrassing.

Back