Think about this, if Lopez was more skilled than Loma

Lopez is a big LW, but it's not like he dwarfed Commey or Nakatani. Commey actually looked the bigger man in their fight (he had a semi-substantial reach advantage). Lopez isn't JCC Jr. at MW cutting insane amounts of weight. He made a fight day weigh-in under 145 without any trouble within the last year.

He had a lot of trouble wth nakatani who was the only LW bigger than him. Commey fought very simplistically and was easy for him to read. Lopez has a very good natural fight iq and is a very good boxer obviously but we need to take into account how he out powers most of his opponents on account of his larger frame.

Yea, I don't think there were moments in that fight where Lopez was close to getting knocked down or shook. Their speed/agility relatively being equal would lean things even further towards Lopez since Loma works best when the opponent is slower and can't keep pace with him.

Agreed. If you are weaker and smaller than your opponent you need to be faster or u need a defensive strategy that doesnt require you to work in the pocket because if he is both as fast and stronger than you are then the pocket is the knock out zone for you.

He had a lot of trouble wth nakatani who was the only LW bigger than him. Commey fought very simplistically and was easy for him to read. Lopez has a very good natural fight iq and is a very good boxer obviously but we need to take into account how he out powers most of his opponents on account of his larger frame.

He didn't outsize Commey, the only other top rated LW he fought. He still blew him away he rather easily. He's a big LW, but again, he's no JCC Jr. type just massively outsizing opposition.

He didn't outsize Commey, the only other top rated LW he fought. He still blew him away he rather easily. He's a big LW, but again, he's no JCC Jr. type just massively outsizing opposition.

My post actually agreed with you on what you said above. Lopez was certainly a cleverer boxer than commey for that fight. But it is telling that when the other boxer had the size and reach advantage lopez struggled.

Rigo was half his size kid

And Campbell sucks yet almost beat him too

Rigondeaux is smaller though not half lomachenko's size. Lomachenko in fact downplayed his victory over him due to his greater size.

Campbell was clearly beaten by lomachenko throughout their fight. And he certainly is no bum being a Olympic gold medalist himself and a very competent boxer.

lacy was favored as well. people talked him up like he was going to rule 175 for the next decade after clobbering calzaghe. boy did that backfire.
I remember how it was expected to be Jeff's breakout moment and Joe would be flattened into a welcome mat in the process.

Calzaghe starts styling on him and never let up. Stifled his vaunted left hook, had Jeff bloody and busted up by rd. 4.
He almost pulled off a complete shutout had it not been for the point deduction in rd. 11.
He absolutely brought the house down that night.

why is it so hard to just say Loma lost because he was beaten by a better guy on the night?

Because Loma came on later and won more later rounds. It's like a 3 rounder in the ufc where things don't get interesting until round 3 but by then the decision is already set.

Personally I feel the amount of successful title defenses, how long you remain champion and if you beat your opponent more than once gives you an edge when being classified as the better boxer.

You can debate on styles, who's faster, who's more technical, who's a better counter puncher, and break everything down but if the style or type of boxing you do works and you keep winning that's what matters.

If Loma heals up, comes in a 100% with no excuses and in a rematch the outcome significantly different then we can say Loma's shoulder and him not engaging early on cost him the first fight.

Also if Lopez defends before Loma gets another shot depending on if it's a worth opponent, might change peoples opinions on the Loma/Lopez fight especially if Lopez loses, struggles, or doesn't have a great fight.

Both Loma and Lopez are good boxers, I think a rematch would determine who's better not just one fight.

No, you know exactly what is being done in this thread. These guys are trying to paint this picture that ..
Lol, why are you telling me what other people are saying, instead of responding to what I'm saying? I didn't reference what other people were saying. I don't have an interest in paragraphs detailing your beef with other people's agendas.

There were 2 parts to the fight. The 1st part Lopez clearly outboxed Loma while they were both fresh at 100%. Without complicating it and without adding my own take on the word. Lopez did EVERYTHING better than Loma in any unit of boxing you want to measure the 1st half of that fight. Even Loma said this.
Once Lopez started to fade mostly in speed Loma than began to outbox Lopez. Because it was safer and Lopez couldn't hold of Loma as effectively.
Exactly what I saw. Not sure what this places' obsession with Loma is. Is it cause he sparred MMA fighters?

Anyone still puzzled by what happened, here's a great vid to explain..

Back