Think about this, if Lopez was more skilled than Loma

It wasn't rope-a-dope as he took very little damage in the first half of the fight. A lot of the body shots that landed Lomachenko was dipping out of range from. As Bradley said on the ESPN broadcast, Lomachenko decided to wait until the second half to pick up his punch output and start engaging. He was told to be patient and showed no urgency. Maybe he felt forced to do so for longer than he initially planned to, who knows. He was clearly uncomfortable with Lopez's power as Mikey was with Spence and Floyd was early with Conor.

He wasn't giving away the first half of the fight because he couldn't figure Lopez out, he wasn't even putting forth much of an effort until round 7 came. Feeling overwhelmed by a much larger big puncher's power was the case whether people buy that strategy or not.
Couldn't disagree more. That totally is acting as if Lopez wasn't even in the ring in there at all.
Nobody volunteers to purposefully not do anything for 7 rounds. Then claim they thought they won the cards....This theory doesn't add up with what Loma said directly after the fight.

I love how some of you are totally ignoring the size disparity. Yet when Lopez fought someone bigger than himself (Nakatani) he looked relatively poor. Let's wait and see how Lopez looks when fighting at a higher weight class. My prediction is he won't look nearly as great.

I love how some of you are totally ignoring the size disparity. Yet when Lopez fought someone bigger than himself (Nakatani) he looked relatively poor. Let's wait and see how Lopez looks when fighting at a higher weight class. My prediction is he won't look nearly as great.
Similar to when Loma beat Rigo, size didnt seem to be the factor in this one. Size was never imposed in an advantageous way.

Similar to when Loma beat Rigo, size didnt seem to be the factor in this one. Size was never imposed in an advantageous way.
Size was a factor in that bout too, with Rigondeaux getting shrugged off easily whenever he'd try to tie up or when they'd come in close. Which I know is not what aries thinks, because I recall conversations about that Rigondeaux fight, in which I made the same points as I'm making now and aries said, if I recall, that size wasn't a factor there (when it was, imo)

If a guy is using his reach, that's a size thing in itself. Then you have a guy with a bigger frame who also so happens to be physically stronger, then that's important and a lot to overcome, and that's part of Lopez being from a higher weight class than where Lomachenko should be. If Mayweather went and got outjabbed by Bivol all night, size would be a factor too. You don't need to be an inside fighter roughing up everyone for a size difference to be a factor.

Size was a factor in that bout too, with Rigondeaux getting shrugged off easily whenever he'd try to tie up or when they'd come in close. Which I know is not what aries thinks, because I recall conversations about that Rigondeaux fight, in which I made the same points as I'm making now and aries said, if I recall, that size wasn't a factor there (when it was, imo)

If a guy is using his reach, that's a size thing in itself. Then you have a guy with a bigger frame who also so happens to be physically stronger, then that's important and a lot to overcome, and that's part of Lopez being from a higher weight class than where Lomachenko should be. If Mayweather went and got outjabbed by Bivol all night, size would be a factor too. You don't need to be an inside fighter roughing up everyone for a size difference to be a factor.
No, you know exactly what is being done in this thread. These guys are trying to paint this picture that Loma was zipping around the ring, dancing circles around Lopez, easily dodging every "clumsy" punch while smiling at Lopez, all the while executing this daring plan to tire Lopez out, and then later he turned it on, and just blew Lopez away with skill the likes we've never seen, but oh this sob story that it was too little too late, but otherwise every second he actually fought he scored flawlessly.

Wrong. He was out techniqued, shown timing beats speed, but oh in case you thought I was slow, here's some speed back oh by the way remember that timing I had, yeah that makes me faster than you. Loma was shown all the tricks in the world can be diffused by an high IQ understanding of the game. A lot of ways in can be stopped by the same idea as long as you have the right idea.

Not this idea that Loma somehow proved in losing he was still a better boxer, he didnt look flashy, he looked like he was struggling. Lopez looked too good, and they dont like it, and Loma made it worse pouting after the fight and looking gotten to, and proclaiming he won etc...

Not the only guy who hasn't passed the test for greatness either while moving up and getting up in years. He's in good company, people need to calm the fuck down!

I know it's just a forum, but damn Im really impressed by the way how some here called it with Loma years ahead of the fact. Some of y'all literally called it down to the style fighter and hadn't picked a Loma opponent to win once and were like, CMON, GIVE US A REAL FIGHT, and literally the day Loma/Lopez got made or even suggested called him man to do it and end Lomas win streak. Some right down to the strategy via seeing holes in Lomas game for years. Good job dudes, hope you won some money.

I know it's just a forum, but damn Im really impressed by the way how some here called it with Loma years ahead of the fact. Some of y'all literally called it down to the style fighter and hadn't picked a Loma opponent to win once and were like, CMON, GIVE US A REAL FIGHT, and literally the day Loma/Lopez got made or even suggested called him man to do it and end Lomas win streak. Some right down to the strategy via seeing holes in Lomas game for years. Good job dudes, hope you won some money.
I punked out at the last second with my thousand.

No, you know exactly what is being done in this thread. These guys are trying to paint this picture that Loma was zipping around the ring, dancing circles around Lopez, easily dodging every "clumsy" punch while smiling at Lopez, all the while executing this daring plan to tire Lopez out, and then later he turned it on, and just blew Lopez away with skill the likes we've never seen, but oh this sob story that it was too little too late, but otherwise every second he actually fought he scored flawlessly.

Wrong. He was out techniqued, shown timing beats speed, but oh in case you thought I was slow, here's some speed back oh by the way remember that timing I had, yeah that makes me faster than you. Loma was shown all the tricks in the world can be diffused by an high IQ understanding of the game. A lot of ways in can be stopped by the same idea as long as you have the right idea.

Not this idea that Loma somehow proved in losing he was still a better boxer, he didnt look flashy, he looked like he was struggling. Lopez looked too good, and they dont like it, and Loma made it worse pouting after the fight and looking gotten to, and proclaiming he won etc...

Not the only guy who hasn't passed the test for greatness either while moving up and getting up in years. He's in good company, people need to calm the fuck down!
Loma wasn't out-techniqued ffs, he was outsized.

If Canelo fought Beterbiev and lost, would you say he's less skilled than Beterbiev?

Loma looked shook by Lopez power and stature. Lopez used his 3" reach advantage well and held Loma at bay.

Last edited:
That's right. Reason being, Lopez doesn't have a KO/stoppage after 7 rounds. What round did Lomachenko really even start to work? Round 7. It's no coincidence and even @chiefwiggum gets it. Lomachenko comes on late and he wanted Lopez to shoot his heavy shots early which is exactly what Floyd did to Conor. The difference is he wasn't getting jabbed up in the process and countered (with the same timed rear uppercut counter that Lopez was trying to hit Loma with early, the one Conor managed to land on Floyd multiple times).

I don’t know if that’s sarcasm but you’re right.
Lomas strategy which is being a smaller man fighting a really big man You can’t just go tit for tat early
It took longer than Loma thought and he paid on the cards. I thought it was a much closer fight.
Toney and Chris Byrd would do the same. Even Pernell did this.

I like both of these guys. It seems like most are cheerleaders. Lomas strategy didn’t work for the cards. Teo didn’t outbox Loma. He waited too long.
And teo won on the cards. I don’t think a lot of these guys have competed or had any type of strategy in athletics before. Sometimes you have to run.
Some times you have to hack a Shaq. Sometimes you have to move and take the steam out of a bigger guy.

it wasn’t a masterclass. Loma was comfortable landed the cleaner shots in the last half of the fight.
and the cleaner shots in the fight. You score round by round.
Teos jab was a non factor. Teo can’t fight on the inside and did a lot of complaining for any work on the inside.
Either way I scored it a draw. Round by round. Clean effective punches. I have no problem with Lopez getting the win.
Lomas gameplan stifled his own chances even though it was close. He waited too long.
But you can see the glaring weakness of how teofimo has no inside game. Which he should as he’s a strong guy for 135.
But he’s young and he will build off of that.

I think a lot of people are parrots and haters. And spout the same shit they here. And judge performances of fighters differently than others.

but I’m just some guy who hasn’t participated in boxing or watched it until a few weeks ago.

so from this novices perspective. That’s my opinion.

Loma wasn't out-techniqued ffs, he was outsized.

If Canelo fought Beterbiev and lost, would you say he's less skilled than Beterbiev?
If Beterbiev beat Canelo by literally shutting down all his strengths and putting on a clinic using boxing fundamentals and IQ to make Canelo look ordinary instead of just coming out and trying to impose size and power, then yes. I would say, "wow, Beterbiev was so measured in his efforts, looks like he studied Canelo's tendencies and came prepared to exploit them. Guess he wanted to prove he was more than a one dimensional destroyer."

You wouldn't be shocked and impressed if Beterbiev showed polished defense and fundamentals to establish control over Canelo over 12 instead of seek and destroy?

Because the comparison doesn't jive. Lopez is nothing like Beterbiev nor did he perform as such!

Lomo lost stop trying to make excuses Lopez was just too much for him

this...but I think have certain physical advantages did help
Well, even when technique and ability may be slightly skewed on one side there's always a factor of power and durability on the other side. In the later rounds, Loma landed some nice crips shots that made Lopez flinch but it turns out those shots didn't really do to much. When Lopez landed his owns shots, Loma looked like he clearly felt those shots which affected his mentality a bit during those rounds.

Lopez probably realized that Loma's punches weren't doing too much actual damage which gave Lopez more options to do the things that he instinctively wanted to do that night.

TL;DR: Your opponents can hesitate when they realize your punches and durability are stronger than theirs.

about the Beterbiev vs Canelo fight that ppl are bringing up as an example, I don't think that fight is too much of a mismatch since that Canelo (while smaller) has really underrated power in his hands. That Kovalev KO as an example.

If Canelo is faster, he might actually have a chance in that fight as well.

Actually lomachenko refused to make much of the fight and he himself cited the size disparity as to why. So he did agree implicitly that he had the size advantage and that it would have helped him.

Well, even when technique and ability may be slightly skewed on one side there's always a factor of power and durability on the other side. In the later rounds, Loma landed some nice crips shots that made Lopez flinch but it turns out those shots didn't really do to much. When Lopez landed his owns shots, Loma looked like he clearly felt those shots which affected his mentality a bit during those rounds.

Lopez probably realized that Loma's punches weren't doing too much actual damage which gave Lopez more options to do the things that he instinctively wanted to do that night.

TL;DR: Your opponents can hesitate when they realize your punches and durability are stronger than theirs.

about the Beterbiev vs Canelo fight that ppl are bringing up as an example, I don't think that fight is too much of a mismatch since that Canelo (while smaller) has really underrated power in his hands. That Kovalev KO as an example.

If Canelo is faster, he might actually have a chance in that fight as well.

Lopez has been able to disrespect the punches of virtually everyone he has fought at lightweight because of this. Lomachenko's punches would be even weaker relatively speaking as he is the smallest he has fought I believe.

Actually lomachenko refused to make much of the fight and he himself cited the size disparity as to why. So he did agree implicitly that he had the size advantage and that it would have helped him.
Sorry, argument's exhausted, I'd explain it more but I'm done. There isnt gonna be a rematch apparently, no point discussing what isnt gonna change if there isnt gonna be a budge on either side. Lopez should go up, Loma back down. Plenty of great fights for both.

Lopez has been able to disrespect the punches of virtually everyone he has fought at lightweight because of this. Lomachenko's punches would be even weaker relatively speaking as he is the smallest he has fought I believe.
Yea, I don't think there were moments in that fight where Lopez was close to getting knocked down or shook. Their speed/agility relatively being equal would lean things even further towards Lopez since Loma works best when the opponent is slower and can't keep pace with him.

Lopez is a big LW, but it's not like he dwarfed Commey or Nakatani. Commey actually looked the bigger man in their fight (he had a semi-substantial reach advantage). Lopez isn't JCC Jr. at MW cutting insane amounts of weight. He made a fight day weigh-in under 145 without any trouble within the last year.

lol

2x Olympic gold champion, who made world class boxers (including elite and undefeated Rigondeaux) say no mas after he toyed with them, 4 fights in a row.

delusional Yank
Rigo was half his size kid

And Campbell sucks yet almost beat him too

Back