Things you (dis)like the most in movies and TV

I've never seen a movie get playing the guitar right. I get the fact that it's 'acting', but it took me out of scenes in 'Almost Famous' and completely ruined 'Sweet & Lowdown', even though I absolutely adore the subject matter (essentially Woody Allen's love letter to Django Reinhardt)

Even in 'Whiplash', my favorite movie of the year, the guy in the studio band was playing a strat body-type Ibanez. SMH at that hard.

Anyone remember the name of the movie where Ralph Macchio gets in a guitar duel with the devil? Yeah, his 'guitar' playing looked like absolute shit too.

Crossroads

Moist sounds of people kissing.

Dislikes
1. There aren't no average looking people in most of the movies
2. Hate stupid coincidences like the ones of the last star treks, but little coincidences don't bother me
3. Pretentious movies
4. Too dark movies
5. Shaky camera

1. Escapism
2. Unexpected Endings
3. Plot Twists

for TV, dislike:

95% of basic (fox, abc, nbc, cbs, etc) cable (non comedy) shows

reasons:
-boring
-poor acting
-poor writing
-repetitive
-not dark or realistic enough
-boring

Don't get me wrong. I have enjoyed shows that have been on these channels before. But I find it is the exception and not the rule. I always feel bad when someone tries to talk up a show to me on one of these channels and I'm like sorry man.

AMC, FX, Showtime, Cinemax, HBO, Netflix, etc is where real programming lives.

I'm sorry I'm just not interested in that that "super awesome new episode of NCIS" or whatever so and so watched

I dislike cable shows that get ordered for a lot of episodes but the writers don't know what to do with the episodes. Walking Dead suffered from this a lot. Sons of Anarchy as well. I think unless the show is styled like a serial or a soap opera (which are both more network things) there should be a plan for how many seasons and how many episodes it is, with an ending to wrap everything up.

I dislike cable shows that get ordered for a lot of episodes but the writers don't know what to do with the episodes. Walking Dead suffered from this a lot. Sons of Anarchy as well. I think unless the show is styled like a serial or a soap opera (which are both more network things) there should be a plan for how many seasons and how many episodes it is, with an ending to wrap everything up.

"Lost" really bothered me with this. I binged watched it on Netflix so I wasn't as rustled as people who watched it live week by week but I've read and you can obviously tell they were just making it up as they went with no real ideas for endings or anything being wrapped up or making sense.

I've been having a hard time getting excited about movies the past few years mainly because I feel we are living in the golden age of television. You've got shows like Breaking Bad, True Detective, GoT, Mad Men, House of Cards, and American Horror Story etc. It's very hard for a movie to compete when they only get 2.5 hours and a good cable show gets 8-12 hours spaced out over a couple weeks.

Anyway for movies

-tight story (don't try and cram too much in)
-visuals
-twists

Dislikes
-forced love interest (TDK is one of my favourite movies and a big reason why is because they killed off the love interest about 2/3 through the movie)
-over the top cgi (think the Hobbit movies)
-watering things down to be PG-13 when they should be R
-average joe characters performing super human feats (think of the hero that's never held a gun in their life getting 360 no scope headshots 15 mins later)

Been getting sick of Comedies that are unrealistic, over the top, immature, slapstick type. Most just come off as unfunny and embarrassing such as most recent Adam Sandler flicks.

I hate when a Horror movie starts off really and then it makes one of the following mistakes:

1. Shows the thing you're supposed to be afraid of. (The Viewers imagination is always superior.) A good example of this is the Blair Witch Project. I'm utterly convinced that had that movie shown what you were supposed to fear, that we would not be discussing it today. The genius behind it was simple. Create a terrifying situation with an unknown antagonist. Was it a witch? A ghost? Something more sinister? Who knows... But every person that watched placed their own worst nightmare into that role.

2. Blames the problem on 'The House,' especially if the house is 'Evil.' (Overdone, completely not scary.)

3. Indian burial grounds. (C'mon, Son.)

Dislikes: When you're excited for a fantastic book to be turned into a movie, and it ends up being a posh dragon talking for HALF THE FUCKING MOVIE!!!! FUCK!!!!!!!!!!****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fast shaky cam cuts and dumbed down dialogue.

Dislike: Cliches, Good trailers/Bad movie ratio.
Like: Good action setpieces. Nice CGI and special/practical effects. Epic sountracks.

Also, I hate how Marvel is too scared to not be a kids movie. At least XMEN has the balls to say fuck.

I feel the same way, but you can't really blame them.

Increase the rating, limit your market, reduce your profits. I read an article that talked about how the target rating dramatically influences the amount of money studios are willing to invest in a film.

I haven't really researched the issue, but if you look at the box office for comic book movies, I would guess (quality aside) that the relationship between revenue and rating is inversely proportional.

A quick example:

Watchmen
Budget: $130 million
Box office: $185.3

The Avengers
Budget: $220 million
Box office: $1.518 billion

Would The Avengers have made 1.5 billion if you couldn't take your kids to see it? This is probably a terrible example (because: The Avengers) but you get the idea.

Anyone who wants to take a look at rating vs revenue can check this out (just found it):

2009 YEARLY BOX OFFICE BY MPAA RATING

You can adjust the filters by rating to show the different revenue amounts.

I hate when a Horror movie starts off really and then it makes one of the following mistakes:

1. Shows the thing you're supposed to be afraid of. (The Viewers imagination is always superior.) A good example of this is the Blair Witch Project. I'm utterly convinced that had that movie shown what you were supposed to fear, that we would not be discussing it today. The genius behind it was simple. Create a terrifying situation with an unknown antagonist. Was it a witch? A ghost? Something more sinister? Who knows... But every person that watched placed their own worst nightmare into that role.

2. Blames the problem on 'The House,' especially if the house is 'Evil.' (Overdone, completely not scary.)

3. Indian burial grounds. (C'mon, Son.)

Is it just me or do they make ten thousand low budget horror movies a year?

I don't watch much horror but when I'm looking for something to see, I have to search through an ocean of them.

Dislike: Stereotypical blonde bad guy vs jew hero, politcal correctness, race swapping

Like: Lightsabers

Dislike: Stereotypical blonde bad guy vs jew hero, politcal correctness, race swapping

Like: Lightsabers

Thank you, yes. I can handle a few race swaps here and there but it has gone way overboard.

Also, hip hop. I know swaths of stupid tweeners eat that crap up, but i cant stand it.
Perfect example: jay z in the great gatsby

Back