Things you (dis)like the most in movies and TV

Like: Cinematography... can really add too or detract from the experience

Dislike: Ringing Phones!... in the film, just disrupts the flow

Can't stand fight scenes with a lot of cuts and editing. I won't watch an action movie if I know it has it.

Some more:

Like:
- Hot girls playing real characters (e.g. Margaery Tyrell)

Dislike:
- Poor language
- Generic "unconventional" anti-heroes
- Men are stupid, women are crazy
- Naive political messages (e.g. Avatar)

I don't like when a line is spoken early in a movie that gets repeated later for impact. It seems forced and lazy foreshadowing.

For example, in John Q I believe it was, early in the film when all is rosey, Denzel Washington is chatting with that young boy at his little league practice and eventually goes to leave so says good bye to him.
The little boy says "Don't say goodbye, I hate goodbyes".

Fairly obvious out of place line that you knew was said for a specific reason. I just don't like that stuff.

Can't stand fight scenes with a lot of cuts and editing. I won't watch an action movie if I know it has it.

This gets my vote. Nothing worse than building up an action scene then showing nothing at all.

There is one thing that for some reason drives me insane in TV and Movies...

When people "play" video games. I don't recall a single time when it looks like that person is actually playing. They are always holding the controller wrong or just mashing buttons. Drives me up the wall for some reason.

Pros:
Good acting
Likable characters
Well places humor
Awesome action scenes
Good pace

Cons:
Excessive shaky camera in close combat scenes
Guy stuck in bottom full mount punching the dude on top off with ease
Cringeworthy humor
Female leads who try too hard to be badass
Kids usually play annoying characters (CAAAARL)

Loves:
-Good writing
-Leaving some things unanswered
-Quality character quirks and subtexted backstory

Hates:
-Shoehorned love stories for no reason
-Insisting on explaining every little thing
-Constant fast-cut editing
-That silencers silence things rather than just keeping your eardrums intacted
-Overhot women somehow struggling or "not getting the breaks in life".... somehow. Or if they're scientists for no reason.

I despise it when the audience is treated like we are all stupid, so that a moment that should really be self-explanatory is explicitly explained by a character.

The Wire was great for not doing this. Like the scene when in season one when Herc enlists the others to get the desk into the office and it gets "stuck" in the doorway.

x100000000

"found footage" horror movies. hate them.

That's an odd one... but it def has become overused.

I'd trade 10 of those in one film for super-hotties in movies that pretend to be super-smarts.

day_r_s.jpg

Like:
Character study/deep characters
Cinematography
Great dialogue
Symbolism

Dislike:

Cookie cutter action scenes. Pretty much what one of the first replies in this thread touched on.

Non-subtle political messages littering the film when they serve no real use to story.

the "close call". In action movies, especially the Bond movies. You're not going to kill off fucking James Bond quit pretending that you are.

Moments in movies when you have to turn up the volume super high just to hear what their saying, then a few moments later an extremely loud bit happens and damn near renders you deaf.

I hate when a movie isn't given enough time to develop.

Sometimes certain movies just rub me the wrong way, can't fully explain, even just one scene and it ruins the entire experience for me. I'm very picky when it comes to how a movie is presented.

It's funny, my brother calls me a movie snob, he's the exact opposite, he has no standards when it comes to tv or movies. He'll watch anything, he even enjoyed Rock of Ages for God's sake.

Last edited:
Love stories.

Nearly every TV show and movie has a love story that sidetracks the usually already interesting plot line.

Especially when every angle has been done and is predictable. Chemistry on screen is needed to be believable too and rarely is.

Weak writing.
No thanks.

This.

Contrary to popular belief Love is not essential to make a movie relatable and it doesn't have to be in every major movie. It's so boring and overdone, makes me roll my eyes anytime they try to jam it into a storyline when it was going fine without it.

They make Romances/RomComs to explore Love in movies, leave it there so they can be avoided and just make a fantastic film without it. Do we really have to have it jammed down our throats when we're just trying to watch a good movie?

Love stories.

Nearly every TV show and movie has a love story that sidetracks the usually already interesting plot line.

Especially when every angle has been done and is predictable. Chemistry on screen is needed to be believable too and rarely is.

Weak writing.
No thanks.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine and New Girl were the two shows that really made me sad with this. Both are girlie-ish shows as is, I know. But each had/s truly solid writers and proper character development. Then it just turns into endless relationship shit.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is especially disappointing.

At least when Seinfeld did it, the woman died from licking stamps and Elaine/Puddy didn't really take up any time with relationship stuff... more like grown-up-2nd-graders dating.

Edit: Oh, but guys, the reason they do it is 100% simples. Middle-aged women and teenage girls watch commercialed-TV and spend money on products they see on said commercials at a higher rate than any male demos. Women fall for that love schtick every time. Hence it's shoehorned into everything.

Stupid random hot girl added in the middle of the movie for one of the main characters to fall in love with.

Its by far the most annoying thing as it's put in 90% of movies.

For instance the last few movies Ive watched could avoid this trend to make it a better movie.

Chronicles of Riddick. Random hot girl pops up, I knew it was over from then on.
Hobbit: The dwarf and the elf girl. Wtf? Did they try to pull off the romance from Lord of the rings? If so horrible job. Shouldve left out.
Divergent: Another one with hot girl and dude romance being the baseline.
Mission Impossible 2: Wow this one sucked compared to the first one. I havent seen the others but if they call go into a bullshit romance movie with action in it, Im not watching the rest.

These are just the last 4 movies I watched for the first time in the past week.

Ya maybe some of those movies arent the best movies in the world but it wouldve helped if they didnt say "okay to the drawing board lets really base the entire movie on a bullshit relationship and build the movie around that"

I guess another thing that pisses me off when a girl with great tits is in a movie but doesnt have anything online showing them :(

Last edited:
I dislike scenes after the credits. I feel like I'm gambling by leaving when the movie is over. When i do stay it's usually some dumb scene that makes me wish i left 8 minutes ago.

Back