Things that make a good fighter/ training partner?

Vader Orlag

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
So I am pretty new to mma, I am curious if there is anything outside of the obvious to make me a better fighter/ person to train with? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm glad you put "better person to train with" in there, shows to me you're willing to work :) In the gym, I think these are the important points (in order of importance):

1. Be humble and have no ego. Listen to everyone and everything even if you disagree
2. Never bitch or complain. Just do it.
3. Come into the gym consistently, frequently, and on time. Later on, when people ask to train with you, never flake - if you say you're gonng be there, BE THERE (I dunno why but from people I've talked to, MMA guys are notorious for flaking compared to boxing and Muay Thai guys when it comes to reneging on scheduled training sessions)
4. Take ass beatings like a man - don't pussy out or guys training for competition will look down on you (how many "tough guys" do you think fighters have seen come through the door all the time?)

Have an open mind when it comes to learning techniques, and try to gain insight even when you're not the one doing the punching. You can learn a lot by even just holding pads by trying to notice what a body is doing when it's striking.

Well what doesn't make a good training partner is when you are showing some dude
a technique and they go "oh I do it like this blah..blah...blah" and proceed
to demonstrate something they learned off the back of a cereal box.

no bitchassness and no excuses. gotta surround yourself with people that will push you and make you better. people that take the sport serious and are reliable.

Thanks guys, I just want to make sure I pick up as much as possible. I know a lot of things are picked up with experience, but the biggest thing I have learned so far is people don't mind helping or answering questions. And I think I can give myself a leg up as a newb to do research and ask questions.

Back