Things that Jon did that surprised you against DC

I thought Jones was much more careful with how he placed his fingers for most of the fight. He still got in an eyepoke, but I'm willing to believe that was accidental.

Raising his hands in victory then throwing in a shot after the fact.

I know they have a feud, I know Jones is now a 'heel', etc... but I was surprised at that act nevertheless. By comparison, I was not surprised at all by him apologizing to Cormier for the eye poke and them tapping gloves. I expected that, did not expect the poor sportsmanship at the end of the fight.

I was rooting for Cormier... but I actually liked that. For me that isn't a show of unsportsmanlike behavior so much as it is an acknowledgment that a fight is a fight and you're in one until that bell rings.

As a fighter you are responsible for protecting yourself at all times.

Reminded me of this:

mayweather-ortiz-k-o-o.gif

A lot of people weren't happy about that, either, but not me.

I'm no fan of Floyd, but dammit, why are you hugging me over and over when we're supposed to be fighting... and why in hell is your first response to being hit instead of hugged in a friggen' prize fight to look at the ref to save you from the bad man who's hitting you... in the middle of a PRIZE FIGHT.

Far more disappointed in DC that he stopped fighting before it was over, in a fight he was losing, no less.

I was rooting for Cormier... but I actually liked that. For me that isn't a show of unsportsmanlike behavior so much as it is an acknowledgment that a fight is a fight and you're in one until that bell rings.

As a fighter you are responsible for protecting yourself at all times.

Reminded me of this:

mayweather-ortiz-k-o-o.gif

A lot of people weren't happy about that, either, but not me.

I'm no fan of Floyd, but dammit, why are you hugging me over and over when we're supposed to be fighting... and why in hell is your first response to being hit instead of hugged in a friggen' prize fight to look at the ref to save you from the bad man who's hitting you... in the middle of a PRIZE FIGHT.

Far more disappointed in DC that he stopped fighting before it was over, in a fight he was losing, no less.

That's easily explained by Victor Ortiz being only slightly above the legal category of mentally retarded.

holding cormier down in the 4th and 5th and really doing nothing

Only one eye poke. Was blown away he could stop so easily, but he knew that trick has been figured out and refs are likely going to take a point after the first warning.

I know they have a feud, I know Jones is now a 'heel', etc... but I was surprised at that act nevertheless. By comparison, I was not surprised at all by him apologizing to Cormier for the eye poke and them tapping gloves. I expected that, did not expect the poor sportsmanship at the end of the fight.

This does come to mind.

He did the "suck it" to DC at the end of the fight

You were surprised that Jones hit DC while the fight was still going on? Are you serious right now? If it was after the bell then yes that would be very surprising but that wasn't the case. The fight was still going on I have no idea why DC thought he could just stop fighting while their was time still left on the clock but that's not the way MMA works. Why do you think coaches/ref say defend yourself at all times? Jones threw his hands up because he thought DC was going to keep going for the TD until the bell. DC then for whatever bizarre reason decided I'm just going to give up with three seconds left and leave myself completely undefended inches away from my opponent. I've never seen anything like that in MMA in my life. One of the first things they tell you in MMA is to defend yourself at all times. DC clearly didn't listen to that rule.

waiting for "very malicious and very violent things" for 5 rounds... surprise.

hPxLMjY.jpg

His punches to the body. I was expecting the knees and kicks there but Jones really worked on his body punches. He ripped some pretty mean ones to the body that got overlooked.

surprised at first that jon didnt use his reach and attack at range, but he tends to try beat his opponents at their own game so idk why i was surprised by that.

surprised that dc was able to jab at jones though. thought jones would be able to avoid DCs punches pretty easily.

was not surprised he punched DC after he put his hands back down, protect yourself at all times folks.

He was trying too, but DC ate that shit up.

Slow head movement
No combinations thrown
Leg kicks minimal besides soft shin kicks
Not suprised:eye poke, cage grab, hands up sucker punch

Nothing Jones has done in the cage has surprised me ever since he demolished Shogun.

I picked DC to win, but figured it could go either way.
Now considering who DC trains with(Cain, a guy notorious for pushing oppenents against the cage), you would think that DC wouldve been able to do that to Jones.
Instead Jones proceeds to get the upper hand almost every time and hold DC against the fence.

DC needs to realize that training with a champion doesn't make him one, so it doesn't matter if he trains with Cain. The thing that suprised me was that Jon Jones was able to ragdoll the fuck out of DC, like he was a tiny little feather being blown around with a very great ease.

I voted for DC to win too.

Jones fan here but - only one eye poke

Back