Things mma fans used to believe blindly

Dddddeeeeeerpppp

What does that mean? It's a fact Sylvia came in at 310lbs. he was a fat slob going into that fight. We can pick extreme examples of things that happen in sports, but all things being equal - a good MMA fighter will beat a good boxer in an MMA fight. That being said, no MMA guy is going to be able to compete with a good boxer in a boxing match, although I guarantee that you would have some MMA guy knocking out a good boxer every once in a blue moon as well.

Last edited:
What does that mean? It's a fact Sylvia came in at 310lbs. he was a fat slob going into that fight. We can pick extreme examples of things that happen in sports, but all things being equal - an good MMA fighter will beat a good boxer in an MMA fight. That being said, no MMA guy is going to be able to compete with a good boxer in a boxing match, although I guarantee that you would have some MMA guy knocking out a good boxer every once in a blue moon as well.
Any fight starts standing... It's not likely, but that could happen to any mma fighter if they fight a boxer. Sylvia might have been fat, but Mercer was in horrible shape too, and old as fuck.

So Reem would have to cheat to become champion?
That's not the point. He was decimating just about everyone aside from Werdum on the juice. He would have become champ for sure. He didn't start losing until he got off the juice.

Stupid Things That MMA Fans Used to Believe

I took this from cagepatato and only took these i have encountered of what they mentioned. your welcome to add your sherdog cliche...

1. Alistair Overeem will become the UFC heavyweight champion in less than a year.
084_alistair_overeem_vs_antonio_silva_gallery_post.0_standard_730.0.jpg

2. There’s no way a boxer could ever beat a mixed martial artist under MMA rules.

3. Rickson’s record is 400-0. No, seriously.
ricksonbeach9fw.jpg

8. Nobody can finish Minotauro Nogueira.
Mir_TKOs_Nogueira.jpg

10. “Welcome to the Machida Era.”
Rua_Machida.jpg

13. …but Hector Lombard will *crush* those UFC guys.

149014157.jpg

15. Uriah Hall: Next Anderson Silva?

gastelum_hall_tuf17finale.jpg

• Conor will never win a UFC fight
  • Conor will never beat a top ten ranked opponent'
  • Conor will never beat a top 5 opponent
  • Conor will never beat a wrestler
  • Conor will never be a UFC champion
  • Conor will never be a two weight UFC Champion
And a few more gems from the peanut gallery:

You need to be at a top gym to win a title. You need to be incredibly well rounded to win a title. Ronda would wreck Cyborg. Jon Jones and Anderson Silva weren't on PED's. Brock was just a jacked white boi........deal with it. PMP is gonna be the first 3 weight world champ. Lando is gonna get clowned by T-Ferg. USADA had no impact on RDA. Eddie Alvarez will never be a UFC champ. Ronda could beat half the UFC male bantam weights. Woman's bantam weight is stacked and totally legit.

LOL you put at number 1 the most logical one. That was ubereem for you. Nobody thought that Ubereem would become econoreem. Ubereem would have become the champ in less than a year if he was still Ubereem. He was set to fight JDS for the TITLE in may 2012 after he beat brock which he would have probably win.
Jesus people still believe this? By 2012, Overeem had already been getting his ass kicked for ten years by top fighters regardless of how many steroids he pumped into himself.

Any fight starts standing... It's not likely, but that could happen to any mma fighter if they fight a boxer. Sylvia might have been fat, but Mercer was in horrible shape too, and old as fuck.

Okay, yeah we basically agree I think. I understand that good boxers have hands that blow most MMA guys out of the water - it's just that kicking, knees, elbows. clinch, take downs... etc, are completely foreign to boxers and are a massive disadvantage for them to have to deal with. 4 ounce gloves can do a lot of damage though and a clean punch can shut off anyones' lights......

MMA fans are not an entity with a single mind. People disagreed about these things on Sherdog regularly.

Ubereem lost multiple times, dunno why people are ignoring this. The level of fandom certain sherdoggers have for particular fighters is a trait normally only seen in teenage girls

For the most part, a boxer can't beat an MMA guy under MMA rules. Sylvia came into that fight at 310 lbs, and was totally out of shape.

I know, prior to that, Mercer got submitted via guillotine choke by Kimbo fucking Slice, IIRC.

Kimbo submitted someone.

Back