Things ive learnt by changing gym

Keiwil

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ive recently changed to a new gym because i felt i needed to be in a weightlifting enviorment. It was very intimitating at first because it was very intense and the lifters are some of the best lifters in the country. Its a mix of weightlifters, powerlifters and athletes (shotput, javelin etc).

Just thought id share some stuff ive learnt. Take it for what it is.

Rep range is usually between 1-5 reps
lifters usually do 4-6 attemts on 1 rep lifts.
Alot of the time is focused on volume. Doing the lifts over and over
Not much accessory work.
If a lift is weak they simple train it more often (up to 8 times a week)
Usually lifters squat, do 1 main lift and train 1 excercise on their weakpoints.
rarely go to failiure, explosive power, speed and technique is the primary focus
They always find a weakness in the other lifters (every rep) and will shout/bully them until they get it right! that usually happens in 2-3 attempts.
Olympic squats and powerlifting squats are completely different motions.
Depth and speed are essential for squats.
No need to keep everything super tight in squats like ive learnt. keep firm and relaxed. When going into the hole you will feel an urge to go up again when the weight feels too heavy. Let the bar accelerate you into the hole, you will rebound fast! (ive noticed that going back up too early is a primary reasoln for knee pain).
Olympic lifters usually start first in the knees when squatting. Powerlifter start with hips. Try breaking at knees first in lighter lifts you will learn alot.

Keep it simple and train with more experienced lifters.
Enough of me rambling.

thanks for posting your observations - I always like to hear this kind of stuff.

I just joined a new gym also. Here are my observations.

It is not crowded at 4:30 AM

If you forget your backpack there over the weekend, someone will place it on the front table for you, but they will first remove your earphones.

Farting in the steamroom will not make you any new friends.:D

If you see someone doing barbell curls in the Squat Cage you are NOT allowed to beat them over the head with an Oly Bar...they definately need to change the law on this...:icon_twis

You're really observant. Interesting post. I'm going to try the knee break on squats things.

Wish my gym had guys screaming at me when I was squatting. It sounds like a place to get very strong, and in my imagination it has a fog from all the chalk being used.

And you live in Sweden with all that hot pussy. Not bad man.

nice post

but i thought bouncing at the bottom of the squat was bad? unless u mean something else

You're in Gothenburg, perhaps?

If I may add what I've learned since changed gyms and routines.
-Strength training routines are much better
-Box jumps and jumping squats are great for developing explosiveness
-I discovered I have completely stopped doing arm work like curls and triceps work and yet my arms are stronger and slightly larger from only 2 months of working out in a strength routine
-Machines are horrible devices never use them
-The smith machine is an ineffective training tool for big lifts only good for some accessory work
Just my 2 cents.

Wish my gym had guys screaming at me when I was squatting. It sounds like a place to get very strong, and in my imagination it has a fog from all the chalk being used.

And you live in Sweden with all that hot pussy. Not bad man.

I live in australia, and the only thing people scream at me when im squatting is "Oh god what kind of terrible curl is that!?"

A lifter who just won a big competition was preparing for a competition the next day actually stopped training to yell at "little me" in my rack pulls. Having the person stare at me i had no choice but to lift the weight without failing. the adrenaline i got actually made it hard for me to sleep that night. Instead of doing a single i did a tripple and it felt 100 kgs lighter :)

You dont really bounce of the bottom its hard to explain but when you reach rock bottom with good speed its like a reflex that gets you out of the hole. If you watch John Broz pupil pat mendes squat he has a similar thing going on.
Its hard to learn to squat reading guides on the internet and waching videos. You have to get out there and squat with others and you pick up small things that make a big difference.

I wish I trained at your gym. I had the misfortunate of going to an LA Fitness yesterday. It was an experience. (an experience without a squat rack grrr:icon_twis)

I will be changing gyms in January because Im moving.Dont know what to expect,probably will be surrounded by morons again but what can you do.

I live in New Zealand and I was in the states last year and went to a 24 hour fitness? I think. I asked the guy there if they had any Kettlebells. No. Could I use chalk. No. Do they have a deadlift area. No. But they have a nice basketball court. WTF.

I went surfing instead and then did some bodyweight drills afterwards.

In my gym something terrifying is going on.
The squat rack curlers and stuff like that is about the same. However a certain creature is growing in numbers at a scary rate. The MMA guy is reproducing.
Two days ago this guy would do 10 1/2 squats with like 125 lbs, walk back a bit and do his Muay Thai clinch/knees drills and repeat after like a one min break. His buddy was on the side shadow boxing while holding the 2.5 lbs plates.
Today I saw some guy that was in that gay ass machine that people use for triceps but you can do "chest" if you grab cables from borth sides. So he was grabbing the cables and shadow boxing.

Now here is some Planet fitness gem.

YouTube - Roid Rage

You can hear at the beginning of the video the end of the Planet fitness alarm.
It seems he was grunting so he is approached by the high school girl that is working there. After the discussion the guy goes berserk.

PS: Damn I saw it again and geez what a fucking idiot. The dumbell almost hit that girl. If she gets hurt, with that video as evidence that clown would've gone to jail.

Last edited:
I live in australia, and the only thing people scream at me when im squatting is "Oh god what kind of terrible curl is that!?"

Amen, on the australia part. Army gym aswell, only one other guy i have seen do full squats and oly moves.

Wow lucky jerk, I think an enviroment can really effect you, as you as a human like to match your surroundings. Lucky jerk, I live in Japan =(

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I see that there are several people from New Zealand and Australia in this thread. I have a question regarding fish protein powder in the Dieting / Supplement Discussion forum and would appreciate any input you might have.

Back