Things Gus should work on (IMHO)

5 keys to Gus' success in the rematch would be

1) Excellent, on point boxing
2) Stout TDD
3) Watch out for unorthodox spinning shit and elbows
4) Maybe add a little more power to his strikes.
5) Avoid the clinch

So repeat the first fight, but incorperate more power in his punches.

Clean up those uppercuts he loves so much. He has payed for them in a lot of fights - including the Jones one. Uppercuts work against shorted, haunced opponents (like Hammil), they don't work against a tall, rangy guy like Jones (Gus also did them against Shogun, and they were ineffectual there as well). Their especially bad when he uses them as a counter (except against Thiago I suppose).

ex:

jon-jones-lands-elbow-on-gustafsson-gif.gif

Also, force "mid-range" fighting more. Gus is great at forcing the battle into mid-range (rare for a tall guy like him). In mid-range, his punches carry the advantage over Jones. At a distance, Jone's kicks give him a desisive advantage.

Gus did so well in the first fight. I don't think he needs to change much.

saw him throwing tons of spinning back kicks in a sparring match, but I don't think I saw him throw one in the Jones fight. maybe he isn't comfy throwing those yet in a fight but it would be a nice move to add to his repertoire.

if he just used kicks more in general it'd probably make him a better fighter, not to say that he isn't a great one already.

other than that, his wrestling is fine, boxing and movement are fine. he could sacrifice some technique and start winging bombs now and then for a finish if he wanted.

Gus cardio was fine until he was hit by that spinning elbow. It was more damage than fatigue that did him in.

Gus needs to work on his eyepoke defense. He's walking right into them.

Well, I seriously doubt Jones would expect a teep kick so it would at least be interesting to see how he'd react to it.

I am one of Jones' few remaining fans by the way and hope he wins.

Jones has a good number of fans here and hopefully it is a good fight.

this is all, he tooled jones until he gassed

The gassing excuse.

Tooling would imply that he actually tooled someone. He was doing well and countering jones coming in with jones throwing a good number of kickstrikes at Gus.

Gustafsson's boxing is the key. He comes from a boxing background and clearly has an advantage is this area over Jones who started as a wrestler. Jones is great with elbows, kicks and knees, but he's not quite on the same level as Gus when it comes to throwing punches. Straight punches, jab, cross, that's where Gus hurt Jones the most in their fight.

Add in some feints and avoid getting too close with Jones to avoid takedowns and spinning elbows. He needs to pressure Jones and make him move backwards without overcommitting to his offense. Keep it at the mid-range, away from the kicks and elbows of Jones.

Last edited:
I think Gus was too hesitant to engage with Jones for the first 2 rounds in the first fight. He was right to be hesitant of course because he had no idea how hard, or how much damage to expect. That being said, I think this time around Gus will be more confident and aggressive early on in the fight.

Aside from the 'hail Mary' elbow in the fourth, most of Jon's competition has largely avoided being hit by them since the Rampage fight. Jon has still clipped people aside from that heavy one that rocked Gus, but largely it seems that his feet, or his hips are some sort of tell that these guys can see and they duck it. Both Rampage and Glover got out of the way of it, which surprised me a great deal.

The kicks.

Gus seemed to block them from a general standpoint but even the blocked ones still have a heavy impact. He needs to either close the distance to reduce the number of kicks, which is no so easy with Jones and his ability to turn away and keep distance, or have an effective counter for those kicks.

My advice for Gus would be to use some of Jon's moves against him. Those annoying kicks that everyone complains about, some sharp elbows in close, and one of the biggest things would be to keep Jon from setting up his distance with his lead 'eye poke' palm on the forehead hand. Jones does not jab per se, he figures out his distance and gets set up for his unusual combos from there. If he does not get to judges the distance effectively and never is allowed to get into his set up position, Gus should be able to take advantage of his opportunities much better.

Lastly, no matter how damn hurt Gus is, he must always make it look like he is not hurt, tired, or even been touched. One thing Jackson fighters do well is they do not succumb to fatigue until after the fight is done (most often anyway).

All of these things are so much easier said than done of course, but there is no easy way to beat Jon Jones right now. I believe Gus has the tools and the physical ability to do it, but he will have to be the aggressive fighter for the duration of the fight and be prepared for those 'Jon Jones' moments that were the difference in the first fight.

I'd love to see Gus give Jones a taste of his own medicine and use teep kicks every now and then.

that and mix it up with kicks to the body when Jon uses his hand to judge the distance.

Every time Jon puts that hand out there it should be rewarded with something aggressive.

Hand out;
Teep
Hand out;
body kick
Hand out
Take down attempt
Hand out
something else. Mix it up. Do not let Jones get comfortable even once.

If Jon never gets comfortable and is never allowed to get into his normal groove, Gus will put him way off his game plan.

Like I said, I don't think his cardio was as much a factor as Jones' multiple kicks to his midsection.

Hard to time but when Jones throws the kick, Gus should be moving forward so that the impact is not where Jon intends it. It will put Jones off balance.

Something similar to how Hendricks would get down, in closer to GSP and throw an upper cut. Gus should have something in place for dealing with those kicks.

Jones mixes it up a fair bit too. He added that axe kick against Glover that will likely be used again as well.

Back