1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Thing you have the most trouble with?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by FangedMoon, Sep 25, 2010.

1. FangedMoon

FangedMoon White Belt

Hey guys, I'm a newbie to jiujitsu, only been doing it for about 4 or 5 months. However I have fallen inlove with the ground aspect of martial arts. This may be due to my inexperience, or it may be due to me being the smallest guy in class ( I way 145, the guy closest to me ways 180 and the heaviest guy we have is 283) but I have a rough time wth my sweeps from guard.

So my question is starting out what did you have most trouble with, and what do you have the most trouble with now? Just looking to hear the veterans stories of when they started out (and anyone is a veteran to a 4 monther) :icon_chee and what is everyones biggest trouble with now?

2. randomg1t

randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

i'm about your size and sweeps from full guard are probably still quite a huge hole in my game.

but because i've had those issues all along i think i developed my halfguard much better. i spend most of my time there and get all my sweeps from hg.

another thing i just can't get really good at is not getting thrown around by the 220+ monsters when i get sidecontrol on them. it's like, they pull me close and hold me tight so i can barely move, and when i press on their face to get some space and move to mount they explode and push me off so far they have all the space in the world they need to reguard or just bully me to my back. annoying.

3. PervertHyena

PervertHyena Yellow Belt

motivation

4. SMillard

SMillard Red Belt

stupid nagging injuries.

5. Jumpy

Jumpy Invincible

i just started two weeks ago pretty much

lapel chokes were giving me some trouble: opening up the gi to feed my other hand in under the neck feels unnatural, and i wanna pull opposite :/

6. CyberFreq

CyberFreq Blue Belt

Every piece of guard. Still have trouble with it. 7 months in and I'm only just now hitting some sweeps with regularity.

7. Snowman3459

Snowman3459 Guest

Guillotines and rear naked chokes.

I get caught a lot when I shoot for takedowns. Some of the more experienced people there always seem to catch my head or take my back with fair ease.

8. GJJNY

GJJNY Purple Belt

Big dumb strong guys who model their jiujitsu game after a boulder embedded in dirt.

Sitting in my guard for xx minutes while doing nothing doesn't speak well for your skills.

9. Gidselgrisen

Gidselgrisen Green Belt

I have fear issues - I have a very hard time learning more rugged techniques like takedowns, crushing people with my weight, pummeling aggressively for the RNC, etc, because I always have this fear that somebody (including myself) is going to break something. So I often fall back on playing guard.

10. Neuro

Neuro Purple Belt

this; as well as the larger injuries, too. Injuries are pretty much the only thing I find myself frustrated with frequently.

11. akharon

akharon Blue Belt

I heard something recently that changed my mind about this, I think it was Dave Camarillo. It takes two to stall. Be more active, make the other guy move. Sweep, tap, transition, whatever.

Specifically, when I can't do the above, I sometimes, open guard, feet on his hips, push him back and restart. Still though, he's only holding still because I can't move him. I need to get better.

12. SRK

SRK White Belt

i'm in the same boat as the OP. I'm 5'4,135lbs, and pushing 39 lol. Worst areas are closed guard (damn you short legs!!!), since I can barely even get guard closed half the time. Establishing/keeping mount is another area I absolutely suck at.

13. tysnw

tysnw Brown Belt

"Pwass de gua..pwass, pwass.. Aaarghhh!"

- My instructor should just record this down and play it whenever i'm rolling

14. DirtyCrabcakes

DirtyCrabcakes Orange Belt

I play guard ALOT. Mainly because I don't like fighting from the knees, so I generally try and pull guard. My main problems.

1. Feeling/recognizing when weight distribution is in my favor - i.e. when to go for the sweep.

2. Often I know that the person is doing something wrong, but I don't quite know what to do to take advantage of it.

3. Cardio

4. Open guard. People pass my open guard easily.

5. Entire top game. I essentially end up stalling from side control. I get to this position so rarely that I blank when I get here. I end up only going for kimuras and KOB.

15. 206warrior

206warrior Purple Belt

people taking my back to easily, I forget to not try to escape by going to a wrestling base.

16. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

It's still my half guard, as well as countering some of the more advanced passes.

17. 879lexus

879lexus Blue Belt

breaking guard...why don't they just call that 'using all your fukin energy to open the other guys legs and then get gassed''

18. Jagcorps_esq

Jagcorps_esq Red Belt

Speed.

Not other people's speed, but rather, my own speed in implementing things I know how to do, and even when to do.

It's not instinct for me yet, and so I tend to be a step behind and I hate that...because I at least know what I'm missing out on now.

19. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

Because if you do it right then that doesn't happen.

20. blfdgrappler

blfdgrappler Orange Belt

I still have trouble from the bottom of half-guard, particularly when I give up 20 to 40 pounds to a guy. My open guard could also use some tightening (probably how I end up in the bottom of half-guard so often).