Thiago Alves tests free agency waters after UFC release, but won’t fight unless money is right

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
Thiago Alves’ 15-year UFC career ended on Dec. 7 following his 27th bout inside the Octagon. But he still plans to put the gloves on again.

Prior to his loss to Tim Means at UFC on ESPN 7, “Pitbull” told MMA Fighting he would explore free agency and “probably” retire in 2020. One month later, the onetime UFC title challenger said he’s in talks with MMA promotions, but the numbers aren’t high enough to consider another fight.

“There are some negotiations going on, but nothing really excited me yet to keep fighting,” Alves told MMA Fighting. “Thank god I’m financially set, so I don’t need to fight. I want to fight if it makes sense financially. If it doesn’t, I’m cool.

“I’m open to offers, but it has to be the right offer. I’m not fighting for pennies. It has to be more than I was making in the UFC. It has to be something good.”

Alves won’t disclose what he was making in his final UFC deal, but said he wants a “minimum of six figures just to step in again.” The Brazilian veteran is focused on opening his own gym in the United States and joining the police force in Florida.

If he never fights again, Alves hopes to be remembered as one of the best knockout artists of all time in the UFC welterweight division. He tore through the welterweight division before challenging Georges St-Pierre for the welterweight title at UFC 100. His overall record stands at 23-15 and includes stoppage victories over the likes of Matt Hughes, Karo Parisyan and Chris Lytle.

“I’ve done everything for this sport,” Alves said. “The only thing I haven’t done was win the world title, but I fought the best welterweight of all times, Georges St-Pierre. A 19-year-old kid that left Fortaleza for Miami with 50 dollars in his pocket...I want people to remember me as someone who worked hard and believed in his dream. I did everything my way. I’ve done a lot of sh*t, but I’ve learned with my mistakes and kept moving forward without blaming anyone else but me. I have no complaints.

“I live a great life, I have a beautiful house, a lot of money in the pocket, my family is great, my son is great. I love my work. I’m part of American Top Team, a team I helped create and become what it is today. I’ve inspired many fighters that are competing in MMA today. So, if you’re going to remember me, remember me as someone who believed in his potential. I’m living the dream since the day I left Fortaleza. For me to come back (to fighting), it has to be something that really makes sense, otherwise I’m cool.”

Alves has a message for other fighters who continue to fight their way to the top.

“I want people to understand that fighting is only part of your life, so enjoy life and have fun,” he said. “Believe in yourself, invest in yourself. Keep your heart light when you leave MMA, because this is only one part of your life – you’ll still have a third or a quarter left. I’m excited, man. I have nothing to complain. I just turned 36, and I’m still very young.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

If he does go somewhere else, back on the acai berries and back to...

thiago-alves.jpg

Last edited:
I had the privilege of seeing the man wreck Matt Hughes in person at UFC 85.

Will always follow Alves, best of luck to whatever he decides to do next.

I think he goes to bellator and gets wrecked or we see him absolutely wreck cans in japan

I had the privilege of seeing the man wreck Matt Hughes in person at UFC 85.

Will always follow Alves, best of luck to whatever he decides to do next.

Watched UFC 85 live at a bar, my friend and I were the only ones cheering for Alves. Have always been a fan of him.

The guy keeps losing. I think it's time for him to retire, cant keep up with the next generation of young studs like Tim means...

Always been a fan always will be, his run up to GSP was unreal. GSP fight was a bit of a let down but GSP was doing that to everyone at the time lol.

Let's see him go to Bellator and fight that young prospect Erick Silva to see if he still has what it takes. I think Alves could take him with his veteran savvy.

Get him far away from usada. And we might get vintage Thiago Alves back.

Vitor like career. Not any good when has to play fair. Hang em up.

Based on his last few performances, the money won't be right. Just go to PFL.

Let's see him go to Bellator and fight that young prospect Erick Silva to see if he still has what it takes. I think Alves could take him with his veteran savvy.
Why would u put an 18 yr old vs a veteran like alves.

Prime Alves was a monster, but he's not worth 6 figures in my opinion. He's fallen so far from those glory days. I know he's gotten some offers, but if he sticks to his word he'll retire with Means as his last fight.

Best of luck to him. I like they guy despite my favourite Alves-moment is one of his losses. I remember his match against Kampmann and me and my buddy were rooting for our countryman despite Alves absolutely dominating him, until Alves decided after 14 minutes of being safe on the feet and being in no risk of losing a decision to dive right into Kampmanns guillotine.

I do also remember fondly his match against Papy Abedi, some Swedish fool that showed up for his debut with a grand entrance, being arrogant as hell and putting himself over like he was a big star and not just the sort of interesting prospect he was. Alves made him tap in the first frame.

One of the longest serving members on the roster. The card he debuted on had Evan Tanner and David Loiseau as the main event.

Dude’s been working for the UFC for 15 years and they just chew him up and spit him out like some old gum.

Rizin just had their best event yet, they should get him for a couple of fights

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back