News Thiago Alves out off Copenhagen event; Gunnar Nelson needs new opponent

toe hold

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019...c-copenhagen-gunnar-nelson-needs-new-opponent

SIR

Thiago Alves out at UFC on ESPN+ 18, Gunnar Nelson needs new opponent

The UFC’s debut event in Denmark needs a new fighter for the co-main event.

Thiago Alves (23-14 MMA, 15-11 UFC) has been forced to withdraw from a planned meeting with Gunnar Nelson (17-4-1 MMA, 8-4 UFC) at this month’s UFC on ESPN+ 18 event MMA Junkie today learned from a person familiar with the matter but not authorized to discuss it publicly.

UFC officials are currently seeking a replacement opponent to face Nelson at the Sept. 28 event, which takes place at Royal Arena in Copenhagen and streams live on ESPN+.

Injury is to blame for Alves’ withdrawal, though specifics of his condition were not immediately available and a timetable for his return was not established.

Icelandic grappling standout Nelson is looking to rebound from a split-decision loss to Leon Edwards at UFC on ESPN+ 6 in March in an outcome that saw him fall to 4-4 in his past eight fights, after opening his career undefeated through his first 14 pro contests.

IMO, with travel restrictions and limited time to apply for a visa, other than a Nordic or Scandanavian tomato, it will be tough to get a suitable replacement at this late date. Too bad.

Last edited:
that is now 9 times Alves has pulled out from UFC fights (or been pulled for PEDs)

Magny was just cleared by USADA. Throw him there.

He is about the level of Gunnar Nelson.

The fight didnt make sense anyway so... im fine with it!
<Fedor23>

Wtf lol didnt know that was even a fight. Gunnar would have killed him.

Plenty of options; Magny, Lee, Chiesa, RDA, Warley, Burns, Rocco

Plenty of options; Magny, Lee, Chiesa, RDA, Warley, Burns, Rocco

IMO, Magny would be the only one on that list who could possibly consider taking the fight on two weeks notice. Mostly due to the fact he is itching to return from suspension and a fight with Nelson fell through before when Nelson pulled out. Even then, I doubt he takes it.

source.gif

If a fight that you didn't know was happening doesn't happen, was it even truly scheduled...

Copenhagen is my backyard but I am not even gonna attend it's a shitty card

Magny was just cleared by USADA. Throw him there.

He is about the level of Gunnar Nelson.

Perfect replacement. Funnily enough, a rescheduling a UFN Co-main in the UK that saw Gunnar drop out with injury. That night, we got the incredible co-main event of Neil Magny vs. debuting UK journeyman, Craig White.

Which makes me think we'll get the same here.

Gunnar will fight a newcomer, someone like Serbian ATT guy Uros Jurisic (10-0), Ramazan Kuramagomedov (6-0 - recently won on DWCS but didn't get a contract).

If it's someone under contract, I'm expecting a European for Visa reasons. So someone like:

Emil Meek
Sergey Khandozhko (had his fight this weekend scrapped due to visa issues, ready to fight)
Bartosz Fabinski

Gun to head, I'm saying we're getting Gunnar vs. Fabinski. They'll probably bump one of the LHW fights up to co-main.

Where does Kevin Lee fit into this? Slot him in Dana.

The 9th UFC fight that Alves has pulled out of (you can check it on his tapology page)

Back