They only scored it a 10-8???

I'm not commenting on whether the round you speak of should've been a 10-8 or a 10-7... I'm posting to point out that there is no criteria in MMA scoring where a knockdown gets you a 10-8 & while we're at it... lets see exactly what makes a 10-7.

It is worded to "consider" a 10-8 with "significant impact"... so you could conceivably have a knockdown that isn't considered all that bad & within their criteria... could be scored a 10-9. Equally, you could have a 10-8 without a knockdown at all.

A 10-7 requires all that plus "complete domination" plus a near stoppage moment. I'd have to watch that round again, but I do recall Gastelum firing back & not being completely helpless in that round.

I only saw it one time live though... so I can't speak accurately as to what that round should've been scored... I just wanted to make sure the scoring criteria itself is not misrepresented.

For clarity... here's the exact wording.

http://www.abcboxing.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/2017-Official-MMA-Judging-Criteria.pdf

10 - 8 Round

Judges must CONSIDER giving the score of 10 –8 when a fighter IMPACTS their opponent significantly in a round even though they do not dominate the action. Effectiveness in striking or grappling which leads to a diminishing of a fighter’s energy, confidence, abilities and spirit. All of these come as a direct result of negative impact. When a fighter is hurt with strikes, showing a lack of control or ability, these can be defining moments in the fight. If a judge sees that a fighter has been significantly damaged in the round the judge should CONSIDER the score of 10 –8.

10–7 Round

A 10 –7 Round in MMA is when a fighter completely overwhelms their opponent in Effective Striking and/or Grappling and stoppage is warranted.”A 10 –7 round in MMA is a score that judges will rarely give.It takes both overwhelming DOMINANCE of around, but also significant IMPACT that, at times,cause the judge to considerthat the fight could be stopped.Judges shall look for multiple IMPACTFUL blows or knockdowns that diminish the fighter,and/orgrappling maneuvers that place the fighter indominant situations with impactbeing inflictedthat visibly diminishesthefighter’s ability to compete.
I don’t think you read my initial post, I’m not even talking about the Gastelum fight, i was referring to the Eryk Anders fight where he got knocked down 4 times in one round.

I don’t think you read my initial post, I’m not even talking about the Gastelum fight, i was referring to the Eryk Anders fight where he got knocked down 4 times in one round.
Fair enough... but I don't think you read my post either... because my post wasn't about a particular fight... it was about your comment that:

10-8s are given when there is one knock down
I displayed the judging criteria right from the source... & there is nothing that says a knock down = a 10-8. I expanded further into what exactly does = a 10-8 & while I was at it also explained what = 10-7.

The particular fight you were talking about was inconsequential to the point I was making because your understanding of a 10-8 was inaccurate.

Fair enough... but I don't think you read my post either... because my post wasn't about a particular fight... it was about your comment that:

I displayed the judging criteria right from the source... & there is nothing that says a knock down = a 10-8. I expanded further into what exactly does = a 10-8 & while I was at it also explained what = 10-7.

The particular fight you were talking about was inconsequential to the point I was making because your understanding of a 10-8 was inaccurate.
Fair enough, I’m not saying any knockdown should automatically be 10-8, obviously you have to take the entire round into account. Maybe you dominated your opponent and he managed to catch you with one good one and dropped you for a flash knockdown, obviously that’s not an example of a 10-8.

And it’s not just my understanding of a 10-8 that’s inaccurate, the problem is that no one seems to understand it with any consistency, most notably the idiot judges who are all over the place.

I'm actually surprised it wasn't 10:9 considering how retarded those guys are.

Fair enough, I’m not saying any knockdown should automatically be 10-8, obviously you have to take the entire round into account. Maybe you dominated your opponent and he managed to catch you with one good one and dropped you for a flash knockdown, obviously that’s not an example of a 10-8.

And it’s not just my understanding of a 10-8 that’s inaccurate, the problem is that no one seems to understand it with any consistency, most notably the idiot judges who are all over the place.
Well said... & the problem is a bit deeper as well.

there are "local" judges... & there are "travelling" judges.

despite whether or not an event is said to be within the new unified rules... some locals separate the judging criteria... so if you're a "local" judge... you don't want to piss off your commision by judging in a way that is not cohesive with their belief... & yet in the same group of judges for a single event, you could have a "travelling judge" who doesn't care what the local commissions feeling of them are... & so they will judge according to the new rules despite the local commission not adopting them yet.

it's crazy. i about fell out of my chair when I read that. It's no wonder so many decisions are all over the place.

The UFC should demand "non-local judges" at every event. hopefully that's coming.

Not a flash knockdown alone, but depending on the circumstances and the rest of the round.

Rountree literally used Anders as a heavy bag for 5 minutes, and knocked him down 4 times. That should be a 10-6.
We need to stop trying to fit Boxing scoring into MMA.

10-6's don't exist. 10-7's shouldn't exist in a 5 round fight, just a stupid idea. 10-8's should be given out for total domination, so I have no issue with Rountree getting a 10-8 in that second round, perhaps even the first round.

10-7's are just to hard to decipher.

Out of curiosity I looked up round 1 of Carwin vs Brock; also only a 10-8.

I wonder how many 10-7s have ever been given?

We need to stop trying to fit Boxing scoring into MMA.

10-6's don't exist. 10-7's shouldn't exist in a 5 round fight, just a stupid idea. 10-8's should be given out for total domination, so I have no issue with Rountree getting a 10-8 in that second round, perhaps even the first round.

10-7's are just to hard to decipher.
So if in that fight the other two rounds were close and the judges gave them to Ander‘s, you would be OK with calling that fight a draw?

That was a clear 10-7 round in a 30-24 fight

As for people discussing new/old rules, the new rules didn't change scoring, they just spelled it out for the idiot judges in hopes of making the scoring more consistent

Back