They only scored it a 10-8???

This fight perfectly shows just how retarded UFC judging is.

10-8s are given when there is one knock down, when you have four and complete domination like that the score should indicate just how much of a dominant round it was.

If rounds one and three were super close and they gave them to Anders, that fight would’ve been a draw, that’s just fucking stupid.
One knockdown is not a 10-8, you're watching the wrong sport.

What’s the last 10-7 we saw? Maia v Gunner maybe?

Other than Starns v Quarry have we ever seen a 10-7 in a purely standup affair in MMA?

I’m not saying you or TS are wrong. I’m just investigating possibilities. Refs go through a lot of training that teach them a lot which isn’t spelled out specifically in NAC 467, and it could be that stand up domination with little attempt to finish (and zero attempt to follow up on the ground after a knockdown) simply doesn’t qualify. And if we haven’t taken a half dozen of the training seminars these guys go through, we as less educated fans might not know.
There was absolutely nothing about Maia and Gunnar that was 10-7 worthy.

4 kds should be a 10-7, pretty straightforward

I don't like kds as a scoring criteria in mma.
You catch a guy who is retreating and its fairly easy to put him on his arse without really hurting him.

Can anymore provide an example when a 10-7 round was awarded in MMA?

I can't think of one.

Pride scoring was better. Entire fight, based on damage.

I agree PRIDE was better but UFC is the exact same. Just based on round. A lot of people don't seem to understand that. Rogan is one of those guys where he looks at damage at the end of the fight and declares a winner. It doesn't work that way.

The scoring criteria is effective striking, grappling, aggression and octagon control but in that order. If someone is aggressive, you only count that if the striking and grappling are even. Effective striking is damage. It's supposed to trump every other scoring criteria.

If the striking is even, who had the more effective grappling? If that's even, who was more aggressive? Etc.

Just rewatched Gas vs. Israel..that 5th round is a 10-7 period..And I wanted Gas to win.

One knockdown is not a 10-8, you're watching the wrong sport.
Not a flash knockdown alone, but depending on the circumstances and the rest of the round.

Rountree literally used Anders as a heavy bag for 5 minutes, and knocked him down 4 times. That should be a 10-6.

What is a 10-7 in MMA?

I guess you have to literally kill the guy.

Anders got outstruck like a 100 to 1 in that round, and dropped 4 times, and they treated it the same as they do when there's only one knockdown and it's not nearly as one sided.

With all the problems mma has, judging has to be the worst one.

I've seen a lot of fights and a lot of dumb corners. No way they should have let Anders go out for the 3rd round.

Yeah, that was a 10-7.

What is a 10-7 in MMA?

I guess you have to literally kill the guy.

Anders got outstruck like a 100 to 1 in that round, and dropped 4 times, and they treated it the same as they do when there's only one knockdown and it's not nearly as one sided.

With all the problems mma has, judging has to be the worst one.

where's the 10-8 with 1 knockdown. haven't really seen that ever. If they are dominated all round AND there is a knockdown yeah for sure.

I do agree there should be 10-7 though.

Why do you wait until the end of the post to say what fight you are talking about?

I've seen a lot of fights and a lot of dumb corners. No way they should have let Anders go out for the 3rd round.

Yeah, that was a 10-7.
Agreed, Anders wanted his corner to pull him out so bad after the second, you could see it all over his face when he looked his coach in the eye when the coach started talking to him about what he should do for the 3rd. He was begging him with them eyes to throw in the towel, but he was never gonna say it out loud.

except this wasn't their criteria at all...
Alright, they scored damage as a second criteria over finishing effort. My point still stands though.

If the match reaches its time limit then the outcome of the bout is determined by the three judges. The fight is scored in its entirety and not round-by-round. (In Pride events staged in the United States, however, the fights were scored round by round.) After the third round, each judge must decide a winner. Matches cannot end in a draw. A decision is made according to the following criteria in this order of priority:
  1. The effort made to finish the fight via KO or submission
  2. Damage given to the opponent
  3. Standing combinations and ground control
  4. Takedowns and takedown defense
  5. Aggressiveness
  6. Weight (in the case that the weight difference is 10 kg/22 lb or more)
If a fight was stopped on advice of the ring doctor after an accidental but illegal action, e.g. a clash of heads, and the contest is in its second or third round, the match was decided by the judges using the same criteria.

I agree PRIDE was better but UFC is the exact same. Just based on round. A lot of people don't seem to understand that. Rogan is one of those guys where he looks at damage at the end of the fight and declares a winner. It doesn't work that way.

The scoring criteria is effective striking, grappling, aggression and octagon control but in that order. If someone is aggressive, you only count that if the striking and grappling are even. Effective striking is damage. It's supposed to trump every other scoring criteria.

If the striking is even, who had the more effective grappling? If that's even, who was more aggressive? Etc.
Scoring damage round for round doesn't really work IMO.

I used to think this, but I'm 95% sure it's effective striking AND grappling are juged first.

Anyway, that never really changed. The new scoring system just makes it easier for judges to pick a winner they want to see move forward. Not sure why we are giving more power to already shitty, unchecked judges

Agreed, Anders wanted his corner to pull him out so bad after the second, you could see it all over his face when he looked his coach in the eye when the coach started talking to him about what he should do for the 3rd. He was begging him with them eyes to throw in the towel, but he was never gonna say it out loud.
Ahh the good ol' sherdog psychologist is in the house. Last time I heard a body language expert analyze a fight was when Conor was supposed to demolish khabib.

I prefer objectivity, not that ''chuck with that look in his eye' babble. But that's just me

Ahh the good ol' sherdog psychologist is in the house. Last time I heard a body language expert analyze a fight was when Conor was supposed to demolish khabib.

I prefer objectivity, not that ''chuck with that look in his eye' babble. But that's just me
He did, dude was begging for his corner to stop the fight. Literal people are some of the most annoying on the planet.

Back