They are all on steroids.Big muscles with low fat=steroids

In college I hit the gym hard with one of my roommates. Our third roommate, this dude from Bako lived on beer and $3 Little Caesars Pizzas and Cheetos. He would get his ass to the gym once a month tops if he got up before noon on a Saturday, He would toss on wheels and hit that shit for 10 reps. While he never had any fat (Crazy given his diet and lack of movement), the day after a workout a shredded six pack would surface and he looked like TRT Vitor. I met his dad back in his hometown, freakishly big country man 6'6 that apparently threw up serious iron during his hay day.

Point: genetics are everything if you want to be big and cut

Yeap. All those gym rats and athletes with 7% bodyfat and huge muscles are on steroids. I don't buy the freak genetic bullshit. I am 6 feet tall ,180 pounds and i have much more bodyfat than all those 250 pounds freaks with 7% bodyfat.

If you want to look for clean athletes look at basketball players like Kevin Durant. But look also at muscular players like Westbrook. Westbrook is 6'1 200 pounds and has more fat and less muscles than all those ''genetic freaks''.

Mark Hunt has a lot of muscles but also a lot of fat. YOU CAN'T HAVE BIG MUSCLES AND 7% BODYFAT.

You can, but you need extreme discipline to keep diet and cardio exact. I'm guessing you're correct concerning about 98% of these freakish athletes with the stats you mentioned. 7% bodyfat is just ridiculously low anyways hahaha. Even 9-12% is getting pretty low when talking about natural. Its one thing to be a marathon runner and have body fat that low. But for sure, when you;re carrying around a lot of muscle mass with body fat% that low....highly suspect.

He's saying "they are all on steroids" and references 250 pound guys who have 7% bodyfat.

I'm hard pressed to think of a single heavyweight in the UFC who is shredded with 7% bodyfat. If you guys know of some, let me know.

You keep referencing studies, but haven't linked a single study. I'm not saying you are wrong or the studies are wrong, but I would like to know what studies you are referencing as I'm genuinely curious to read them.
I don't know the people personally so I can't say for a fact that people are on steroids. But it's very hard to be 250 pounds with 7% body fat unless you're 7-feet tall. Hell, if you're 6-foot, it's actually hard to be 200 pounds with 7% body fat. The FFMI is slightly above what humans can generally achieve no matter how much they naturally lift.

Here's a page that links to and discusses the study...

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/steroids-vs-natural/

"...with the exception of the fact that some groups were or were not weight training, and some were or were not using drugs… everything else (diet and training) was equal and even.

The Results

So… guess what happened?

Group 1
(no exercise, natural) experienced no significant changes. No surprise there.
Group 2 (no exercise, drug use) was able to build about 7 pounds of muscle. That’s not a typo. The group receiving testosterone injections and NOT working out at all gained 7 pounds of muscle.
Group 3 (exercise, natural) was able to build about 4 pounds of muscle.
Group 4 (exercise, drug use) was able to build about 13 pounds of muscle."

Last edited:
Nope genetics look at Mike OHearn he is a drug tested natty body builder and he is more impressive than Brock, so it is possible for some people.
Dear Lord. What is this shit. PLEASE don't tell me that you actually believe Mike is clean.

As for the OP, you can get big and sort of lean as an amateur lifter. Just depends on how big you're expecting to get. Read into FFMI as other posters have said. Too lazy to look it up as I'm on phone, but I read a nice article about it a while ago. It goes into athletes before the steroid Era, their FFMI and the athletes during steroid Era. There's a clear cutoff point where you can tell from someone's FFMI if they're on the juice. Also by using your fucking eyes of course, though there are fat fucks on roids as well of course. Believe me, I used to post on elitefitness about 15 years ago and I've seen all types and sizes of roiders there.

As for myself, I am now 33 and have lifted since I was 13. Haven't used roids and during some years I was more dedicated than during others. I started out at about 6 feet and 165 pounds. At 17 I was about 180 with 6 percent bodyfat, disclaimer : this was tested with those caliper type gizmos on more than five different occasions but I sure as hell didn't look like I was at six percent so take from that what you want. Anyway, at my peak (around 25 years old) I was 6 foot 2 and about 230 at i guess 15 percent bodyfat. At 30 I got a pretty nasty shoulder injury and ballooned up to 240 pounds of fat fuckness. I would say my normal, sustainable weight is anywhere between 205 and 215 in decent shape. So that's 40 pounds of somewhat lean muscle in 20 years as a somewhat dedicated amateur lifter. Not accounting for puberty and shit and just filling out as an adult as I started pretty young. Especially here In the netherlands where there wasn't any lifting culture / mindset to speak of back then.

do you suffer of brain damage?

when Josh Barnett had 7% fat??? popped 3 times for Steroid

Yeah it's easy to tell who does steroids by their body type.

Like obvious roider Josh Barnett:

Supporters of the eye test don't claim to be able to identify every steroid user and non-user by eye. It's about identifying the guys who are very obviously users.

Think about this analogy:
You're standing by the side of a road. There's a 50mph speed limit. Can you accurately sort every car who is over and under the speed limit, by eye? No, impossible. 48,49,50,51,52...all look pretty much the same.

But someone tears by at 120mph. Can you say with certainty he just broke the limit? Yes.

This is the eye test. There are heavy juicers who you can say with 100% certainty that they are users. Because it's ridiculously obvious. Lesnar, prime Overeem, Palhares, Lombard, Romero etc. Everybody knew these guys were on shit and would pop eventually with enough testing. Sure enough, they all did.

A fat dude could do a cycle of roids, take some low quality shit, take some shit that's ineffective but still banned. He could fail his test and you would never have guessed to look at him. Doesn't invalidate the eye test.

For what it's worth, Barnett shows plenty of visual signs of roiding over the entirety of his career. He's obviously a guy who has been on and off the roids, probably cycled in an uneducated way and steroid use has badly affected his natural hormone levels. Dude even has gyno scars in the photo you posted.

Yep he is an idiot. Either trollin o knows nothing about fitness.

My cool story bro. I put on 14 lbs in 5 months my 4th year in the Marines. I did that while going from 8% bodyfat to 7%. Did it clean while in a heavy combat zone in Iraq. Not much to do in our spare time but life in our super low quality gym. And I wasn't really little to begin with.

Post some pics... You can't put on 14lbs while dropping fat. I have taken one of the strongest steroids there is, Trenbolone, and even then, it's nearly impossible to drop from such a low body fat while gaining 14lb solid pounds of muscle.

You are exaggerating your body fat percentage.

Many of the people in this thread who are claiming, "it's possible to get ripped naturally" are most likely the people who want to be ripped but are afraid of taking anabolics, so they refuse to accept the reality and keep hanging onto the delusion that hard work + diet = ripped muscles.

Here is a research in The New England Journal of Medicine:
(http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199607043350101)

Men who took Testosterone and DID NOT exercise (second column from left)
gained MORE MUSCLE MASS than those who exercised naturally (third column from left)

362r1.jpg

Nope genetics look at Mike OHearn he is a drug tested natty body builder and he is more impressive than Brock, so it is possible for some people.

Do you think it's possible that that guy is on something that isn't natural or that he's taking something that isn't banned in his testing but would be under usada? Do they do random out of competition testing or can he cycle? I've never heard of him, had to Google him, and don't know anything about bodybuilding competitions but there must be a reason that on his wiki page """ natural""" is in triple quotes.
We all know from past cases just because somebody hasn't pissed hot doesn't mean they're not on gear. So this guy doesn't prove or disprove anything.

Huge, ripped with cardio......alarm bells are ringing.

No combat sports are 'cardio' sports, by which I am assuming you mean mainly aerobic. More like 70% anaerobic, 30% aerobic. I've rolled with a guy who ran middle distance track at the Olympics who was exhausted after two rounds of sparring because he wasn't used to training so hard anaerobically.

Something like BJJ or Wrestling is absolutely a good enough way to build muscle as long as you rest and eat well. Not that I'm saying it will create some of the monsters you see out there but to say MMA is a completely aerobic exercise and that the guys should all look like Kenyans who run the marathon is just wrong...
I never said mma is a completely aerobic sport. Anything over 2 minutes is using the aerobic energy system extensively. The fact that fighters have to explode at fairly random intervals does indeed use the anaerobic system highly, but it's not like football where you get 40 seconds to recover for the next explosion. What energy system is heavily relied on to recover? The aerobic system.

The goal of every mma fighter is to raise their baseline aerobic recovery ability so that they can use the aerobic system to fuel their explosive motions as much as possible. There's a reason why road work is still so important and fighters dont just do sprints (as you're aware)

If I had to assign numbers to it, I would think it's a 60/40 split between aerobic and anaerobic systems, which the numbers being interchangeable depending on the fighter's style

http://www.8weeksout.com/2012/02/23/roadwork-2-0-the-comeback/

Joel explains it better than I ever could

Last edited:
You're a fucking moron. Yes you can have low body fat and huge muscles. You probably don't do enough cardio and have a shit diet. Or maybe you just don't understand how to work out. I'm currently 170 eating one meal a day and gaining muscle, not gaining any fat. No roids and I'm using very few supplements, none of which contain anything banned.

It can be done, you're just a pussy.

That's great, congrats. Do you have a log here or somewhere? How much muscle are you gaining? Not gaining ANY fat whatsoever, huh? Is it based on actual measurement or just looking at the mirror and assuming? How long have you been lifting?

The number of people ITT that are able to gain muscle while losing fat is really impressive. We should call some doctors so that they can study and understand what is so specific about this fascinating sample... I'm betting "desillusion" will be on the list of observations.

Typical Sherdog thread with more hearsay, broscience and anecdotic evidence than a thread on bb.com. It's sad.

Not only are you wrong, but it is completely unnecessary to gain large amounts of fat in order to build muscle. Anyone with a decent understanding of exercise physiology and nutrition knows this. It is very possible to have a low percentage of body fat and gain muscle mass while adding very little or no fat. The idea of gaining a large amount of fat to "bulk up" and then exercise to "turn that fat into muscle" is a complete myth. There is literally no science behind that myth. Fat cannot be turned into muscle. Muscle does not turn into fat. The two are mutually exclusive substances.

5 pounds of added muscle mass is a good, realistic gain for most men in a single year. There are 3,500 calories in a pound of fat but only 1600 calories in a pound of muscle. This is partially because protein only has 4 calories per gram while fat has 9 calories per gram and also because a significant percentage of a pound of muscle is made up of water.

1,600 X 5 = 8,000 extra calories one would have to consume within a YEAR. to put on those added 5 pounds of muscle mass.

8,000 per year = approximately 150 extra calories per WEEK!
You need a calorie surplus to gain muscle naturally. So you'll gain some fat along with the lean mass. Thats why bodybuilders alternate between bulking and cutting. You are right that you can do it slower and not gain a bunch of fat though.

Mike O'Hearn at !14! years old:
14-year-old-bodybuilder.png

Sorry he has the genetics, doesn't need the steroids, plus he is totally aesthetic when you take steroids some parts of your body grow disproportionately, he has the same proportions as pre-steroid era body builders.

image.jpeg

Totally natural and all genetics, all day....

Yeah it's easy to tell who does steroids by their body type.

Like obvious roider Josh Barnett:

usa-today-7669918.0.jpg

He looks like he got off. He was similar before, but the shoulders were wider and the chest was different.

Back