These old school NES games are hard!!!!

Some people say the Mortal Kombat ports are better on the gennie.

I would say Street Fighter 2 is about equal but some say gennie is better for that game.

For MK, the only reason is they PG'd the fatalities on the Snes.

Street fighter always felt better on the Snes to me.

I dont know whether it's the consoles that made the difference, but the megadrive always seemed to have the better platformers.

Yeah the NES had some ridiculously difficult games.

Ghosts N Goblins was the only game I played but didn't beat, that shit was absurd.

Metroid, Kid Icarus, Battletoads, Contra, and a few of the Mega Mans were also really hard.

I am a Sega Mega guy growing up! I will always cry when people say SNES is better than the Genesis/Mega but after seeing the Emulators I finally learned to accept it.

First the colors and like you said the over all gameplay is boosted on Sness.
It is known. But watching Snesdrunk youtube channel, if a game is available on sega or snes, he would, 70% recommend the sega version. The reasons were usually better audio or higher resolution.

Definitely true. I'm just happy that they are still fun and have high replayability. Me and the girlfriend had a blast playing all the Mario games together.

It is known. But watching Snesdrunk youtube channel, if a game is available on sega or snes, he would, 70% recommend the sega version. The reasons were usually better audio or higher resolution.

I will check that Channel, I have been geeking out this past few weeks about Super Nes and the Genesis.

I never had the Snes I should have purchased the one I saw at Robinson Ermita in 2004.

From I remember playing the SNes at rentals and at my buddies house I prefer the feel of the street fighter on the Genie but love the extra colors on the SNS.

I think Aladin looks better on the SNEs and Dragon ball on the gennie looks so small.

I will check that Channel, I have been geeking out this past few weeks about Super Nes and the Genesis.

I never had the Snes I should have purchased the one I saw at Robinson Ermita in 2004.

From I remember playing the SNes at rentals and at my buddies house I prefer the feel of the street fighter on the Genie but love the extra colors on the SNS.

I think Aladin looks better on the SNEs and Dragon ball on the gennie looks so small.
SF2 and DBz on snes are better. Aladin on Genesis is better.

SF2 and DBz on snes are better. Aladin on Genesis is better.
Genesis version of SF2's colors looks harsh probably the lack of shades it can render. However the Special Champion eddition on SEGA has the complete intro.

Some people say the Mortal Kombat ports are better on the gennie.

I would say Street Fighter 2 is about equal but some say gennie is better for that game.

MK1 had much better gameplay on the Genesis while the SNES version suffered from input lag and horrible game mechanics. MK2 on SNES had much better gameplay than MK1. UMK3 sucked on both consoles.

SF2 played the same on both.

Pit-Fighter on Genesis was a good port of the arcade version while the SNES port was one of the worst games on the console.

Top Gear 2 was far superior on the SNES is just about everything IIRC.

Wrestlemania The Arcade Game on the Genesis had all 8 wrestlers and didn't have as much slowdown with 4 wrestlers in the ring. The SNES version was missing Bam Bam Bigelow and Yokuzuna and could only handle 3 wrestlers in the ring at a time (with horrible slowdown).

TMNT Tournament Fighters was better in all areas on the SNES. The Genesis version was a mess.

Last edited:
MK1 had much better gameplay on the Genesis while the SNES version suffered from input lag and horrible game mechanics. MK2 on SNES had much better gameplay on the SNES. UMK3 sucked on both consoles.

SF2 played the same on both.

Pit-Fighter on Genesis was a good port of the arcade version while the SNES port was one of the worst games on the console.

Top Gear 2 was far superior on the SNES is just about everything IIRC.

Wrestlemania The Arcade Game on the Genesis had all 8 wrestlers and didn't have as much slowdown with 4 wrestlers in the ring. The SNES version was missing Bam Bam Bigelow and Yokuzuna on the SNES and could only handle 3 wrestlers in the ring at a time (with horrible slowdown).

TMNT Tournament Fighters was better in all areas on the SNES. The Genesis version was a mess.

A good info you have there, so MK1 has some input lag on the SNES I thought its just my emulator.

I use the Zsnes

Hardest NES game I ever beat was Ninja Gaiden. That shit was insanely hard. I don't even know how I beat it back then. Those last few levels were god tier difficult IMO.

Contra? Man I was a god tier player with Contra. I would finish with 36 extra lives after beating the game without dying and using the code.

I think most of the games we play these days are just as hard if not harder but we benefit for instant help online. back then if you were stuck in an area, you stayed stuck unless you bought a guide book and had to figure that shit out on your own. it could be something absolutely silly that you missed that would make you run around in circles for hours. now if you are frustrated for longer than 5 mins you can look online for help. Also games these days are extremely generous with save points IMO. If you died in a game back in the day, you may have to start WAAAAAAAAY back there and you lose all your fuckin' equipment and loot you gained before the save point.

Last edited:
I remember having a hard time playing Robocop 2 on Nes.

Hardest NES game I ever beat was Ninja Gaiden. That shit was insanely hard. I don't even know how I beat it back then. Those last few levels were god tier difficult IMO.

Contra? Man I was a god tier play with Contra. I would finish with 36 extra lives after beating the game without dying and using the code.

I think most of the games we play these days are just as hard if not harder but we benefit for instant help online. back then if you were stuck in an area, you were stuck unless you bought a guide book and had to figure that shit out on your own. it could be something absolutely silly that you missed that would make you run around in circles for hours. now if you are frustrated for longer than 5 mins you can look online for help. Also games these days are extremely generous with save points IMO. If you died in a game back in the day, you may have to start WAAAAAAAAY back there and you lose all your fuckin' equipment and loot you gained before the save point.

Fester's Quest IIRC started you ALL the way back to beginning of the game, but at least you didn't lose your items.

That's part of their beauty. Games had to rely on re-playability because they didn't have the gimmick of graphics to distract and "carry" the game. Memorization and patience were big in old games and it forced you to become "good". Also a lot of NES games and older games in general were ported from Arcade games so the idea was to make them brutally difficult as to force the player to insert another coin...
Thats hindsight though. Going from Atari to NES was pretty mindblowing in terms of graphics.

Back in those days they had to toughen kids up in case nuclear war broke out

Spent hours on in last night. Couldn't get past the last ship

The first time I beat it (without a P-Wing) it felt so good and satisfying!

I memorized the canon and rocky wrench patterns a long time ago, so I could still beat it now, but it still feels good :)

Bionic commando is probly one of the hardest games i beat back in the day on the NES.

Its impressive to watch people beat games like Ninja Gaiden 1 with 1 life.

Adventures of Link and Megaman series were hard. Original Legend of Zelda wasn't so hard, especially if you unlocked the various weapons, swords, bombs, arrow, etc.

Thats hindsight though. Going from Atari to NES was pretty mindblowing in terms of graphics.

fair point. it seems as the graphics "crutch" became more impressive and capable the difficulty ramped down. to support that point, most atari games are impossibly hard or unbeatable...

some games and systems advertised the graphics as a selling point, i remember some boxes saying things like "X number of bits of power" or the xenophobe box says "Over 1 Mega Power!"

Back