There's not need for extra respect for McGregor for fighting at 170

That's nonsense, average height in LW is 5'9 and 70-73 reach, Nate is 6'0 and 76 reach, bigger than Conor and most of LWs.

Let's be fair about Khabib. He has a fight booked and started he would not be able to fight in March.
not sure about him not being ready, but he did wanted the mcgregor fight. but i dont say mcgregor ducked or anything cause its a one a week and a half change, i couldnt care less

theyre both LW, and they probably weight around the same, the difference is, nate couldnt cut that much on short notice, so they kinda did a gentlemen's agreement to fight both without going through the weight cutting process = 170 pounds

IF mcgregor had fought a true 170, then that would be difference, but as it stands, its just a 155 bout without the weight cut
Its going to be perceived as you criticizing McGregor, but Youre right. This is simply a LW fight where both opponents wont need to dehydrate. Theres no need for fans to embellish it.

I'm interested in seeing a "in fighting shape" McGregor without a weight cut. I'm betting he'll be pretty stocky.

what is the optimum amount of respect to give at this point?

I'm thinking 2-3 fucks, right?

There is no reason to even make this thread. Conor deserves alot of respect for continuing to take these fights on short notice, the guy backs up his talk when most wouldnt. We havent seen him once back down from anything yet. He's a throwback to an older era,and he has alot more to lose than alot of the guys who did it in the past.

Nate has often talked about struggling to make 155, and actually missed it against rda. There's no way nate could make 145, where McG's never missed weight. There's no doubt that nate is the bigger man and therefore likely benefits from it being at 170 (not having to cut as much). I get what you're saying about them now both typically being 155'ers (although not recently for Conor), but it's a little more complicated than that so it's fair to put some weight on the fact that it's at 170, it's not a complete non-factor.

The reason I take it that he's getting a bit of credit for this is how the fight was put together. Originally scheduled to fight at 155lbs, someone, I'm assuming the UFC, tried to make the fight at 160lbs, then 165lbs. Conor said he didn't give a fuck, make it welterweight to make it easier on Nate since the fight was late notice for him.

My source for this is Helwani's twitter, I think... Someone's fucking twitter, anyways.

Point being that McGregor could have declined to fight even higher in weight since he's coming up for this fight to begin with. Conor had options. Cowboy said he could make the weight, for example.

If this is an accurate account of the events that took place, why doesn't he deserve a bit of credit for that? Because they "probably weigh about the same"? I know it's early but what the fuck?

Its going to be perceived as you criticizing McGregor, but Youre right. This is simply a LW fight where both opponents wont need to dehydrate. Theres no need for fans to embellish it.
im just criticizing the praze, hahaha. at least it will be a fun fight

Nate has often talked about struggling to make 155, and actually missed it against rda. There's no way nate could make 145, where McG's never missed weight. There's no doubt that nate is the bigger man and therefore likely benefits from it being at 170 (not having to cut as much). I get what you're saying about them now both typically being 155'ers (although not recently for Conor), but it's a little more complicated than that so it's fair to put some weight on the fact that it's at 170, it's not a complete non-factor.
The reason I take it that he's getting a bit of credit for this is how the fight was put together. Originally scheduled to fight at 155lbs, someone, I'm assuming the UFC, tried to make the fight at 160lbs, then 165lbs. Conor said he didn't give a fuck, make it welterweight to make it easier on Nate since the fight was late notice for him.

My source for this is Helwani's twitter, I think... Someone's fucking twitter, anyways.

Point being that McGregor could have declined to fight even higher in weight since he's coming up for this fight to begin with. Conor had options. Cowboy said he could make the weight, for example.

If this is an accurate account of the events that took place, why doesn't he deserve a bit of credit for that? Because they "probably weigh about the same"? I know it's early but what the fuck?
ok, maybe A BIT of credit, but thats it

word, nate is an easier matchup than cerrone, so maybe thats why they give nate the privilege of not making weight and didnt care about the cerrone matchup (also nate a way bigger draw, but still easier matchup

Its a much easier fight than RDA and it's just far enough out that Conor didn't have to start his hydration cut, so it won't effect him either.

That said, I respect him for still fighting and saving the card

Thats true I guess,but its just that Nate is way bigger than Conor naturally.

Back