There's no real substance to Rogans UFC commentary when you rewatch the fights

We only speak like this of Rogan because we’ve been watching him for over a decade and we take him for granted.

Even if you were versed in striking when you started watching MMA, Rogan introduced a lot of lay men to BJJ.

Admittedly, I wasn’t versed in any martial arts when I started watching MMA in the early 00’s. Rogan’s commentary really highlighted the importance of leg kicks, body shots, and basic striking fundamentals in general. Not to mention, he explained the basics of BJJ grappling and gn’p. Rogan taught me what the guard is and what a rnc is.

We may be tired of him, but Rogan singlehandedly educated the masses on the basics of MMA. I just tune him out and enjoy the fights these days.

Highlighted the importance? He's hyping leg kicks in fights where they don't lead to anything. He's talkign as if somebody is broken down, yet nothing happens and the fight just moves along. He's completely fixated on them and it's annoying as fuck

We need the holy trinity: Goldy, Mauro, Schiavello. Imagine the chaos.

MAMA MIA
IT IS AAAAAAAAAL OVER
GOOD NOIGHT OIRENE

It isn't easy to analyze something as it's happening at the pace of a typical fight.
Going in depth on something that is happening fast is what makes Cruz so unlistenable, he's still breaking down something that happened a while ago but 100 different other things have happened since.
Great post and so much truth in this ^

Breaking down every technique is not applicable to live fighting, especially UFC where the pace is going a million miles an hour. UFC commentary needs a lot of energy, its a high energy event, you can't be breaking down every slight technique

Give Me DC, Bisping, Dan Hardy. All day every day.

oh!!! that hurt him! (fuckin punch missed!) lol!

Then you rewatch it and realize anybody could do his job!

I think you are vastly underestimating how much skill that goes into even making a passable effort in a six hours long event, where you are calling everything on the fly, got somebody in your ear the whole time, in a noisy arena, having to be enthused, communicating with two other guys sitting on your side of the table. Whatever you think of Rogan, very few people could do what he is doing. Doesn't mean there aren't better options out there, but claiming that anybody could do his job and calling your statement a "realisation" seems arrogant.

Great post and so much truth in this ^

Breaking down every technique is not applicable to live fighting, especially UFC where the pace is going a million miles an hour. UFC commentary needs a lot of energy, its a high energy event, you can't be breaking down every slight technique

That's not what a great commentator does.

Unpopular opinion in this thread...but I think he's great.

That's not what a great commentator does.
There is nothing such as a great commentator in this sport, you can't break MMA down unless you have 1 hour + and many takes and edits and a lot of time to think about it. Like Luke Thomas on his breakdown show.. if he did it live with the fight going a million miles an hour he would be horrendous and wouldn't be able to even say much.

Give Me DC, Bisping, Dan Hardy. All day every day.

Bisping=Captain Obvious. That younger kid with a boy voice who replaced Mike is alright, though still far from a great commentator

He makes it feel like a big event when he is calling the fights imo. You at least know he cares about fighting. I think the nfl announcers are much worse. But to each their own.

<Fedor23>

If anyone remembers Gus Johnson calling elite xt you might see it can be a lot worse.

There is nothing such as a great commentator in this sport, you can't break MMA down unless you have 1 hour + and many takes and edits and a lot of time to think about it. Like Luke Thomas on his breakdown show.. if he did it live with the fight going a million miles an hour he would be horrendous and wouldn't be able to even say much.

A good commentator senses the direction of the fights and can guide the viewers through more subtle strategies involved. All Rogan does is make a lot of noise and hype low kicks.

He makes it feel like a big event when he is calling the fights imo. You at least know he cares about fighting. I think the nfl announcers are much worse. But to each their own.

<Fedor23>

Not even that anymore. He's way more subdued these days. Listen to his commentary on Conor vs Khabib..

Larry Merchant was a complete dick but a decent commentator, and he didn't even know how to fight. Compared to Rogan he's a hall of famer..

I’ve been amazed at how insightful he is watching some old fights, even technical insights, even when he’s commentating with former champions. It’s a shame he doesn’t like MMA.

It’s his job to explain what’s going on is it not? If he spent to much time analyzing it would take away from that.

I’ve been amazed at how insightful he is watching some old fights, even technical insights, even when he’s commentating with former champions. It’s a shame he doesn’t like MMA.

He's dead but yes. Merchant's analysis was very rarely off. He was well read. I know he watched a tremendous amount of fights so he probably picked up patterns that way.

He's dead but yes. Merchant's analysis was very rarely off. He was well read. I know he watched a tremendous amount of fights so he probably picked up patterns that way.

Where do you get that he’s dead? I honestly feel sad if that is true.

Boxing's easier to commentate on than MMA. Ebb and flow easier to follow and generally more predictable.

Back