There's a reason locker room bonuses aren't disclosed; they aren't real.

I love how people validate the UFC's pay/practices by citing totally shady "locker room bonuses", which as earlier mentioned, are largely to help fighters and the UFC dodge taxes.

Nick Diaz has an accountant that paid it. He was just being stupid at the press conference when he Said that.

yup, that was AFTER he said he never paid taxes ever. The next day, "his team" claimed it was a misunderstanding and that someone paid diaz taxes (what else they gonna say?). Diaz didn't have an accountant in his entire career, heck he doesn't even know what accountant is . He fought few yrs in strikeforce and other org., and he was making sh*t money in earlier part of his career, and he hired an accountant....

Like I said, u be surprised HOW many people in America (they are millions of Diazs out there) have NO concept of taxes and reporting taxes. Im not even kidding.

AGAIN, the point is not all independent contractors report their every income. To report or not is solely on the fighters (all 500 of them).

I've never understood people who argue "the fighters arent underpaid, they get locker room bonuses!"

why do you think the bonuses aren't disclosed while the other pay is? because they don't exist or because they're so shamefully small they may as well not exist.

Yet all the UFC fighters I know here at Jackson's MMA have gotten them. Hell they are actually basically paying Dodson a salary while he is out.

yup, that was AFTER he said he never paid taxes ever. The next day, "his team" claimed it was a misunderstanding and that someone paid diaz taxes (what else they gonna say?). Diaz didn't have an accountant in his entire career, heck he doesn't even know what accountant is . He fought few yrs in strikeforce and other org., and he was making sh*t money in earlier part of his career, and he hired an accountant....

Like I said, u be surprised HOW many people in America (they are millions of Diazs out there) have NO concept of taxes and reporting taxes. Im not even kidding.

AGAIN, the point is not all independent contractors report their every income. To report or not is solely on the fighters (all 500 of them).

And none of the fighters ,ever, have been busted for tax evasion. That they talk about on Twitter. And that their boss announces at press conferences.

Likely story.

The problem with "locker room bonuses" is that some fighters get them, and most don't. They are completely discretionary. Of course fighters who got them won't complain about pay. So, while these bonuses may exist, they don't really address any grievances about fighter pay. If the UFC wants to silence critics, they should disclose all pay like legitimate companies do. It's kind of silly to assume that some foul-mouthed prick who touts his "backroom" dealings is being honest.

Legit companies don't disclose what they pay their employees unless they're publicly traded. Its funny that you feel so entitled to this info that isn't any of your business.

And none of the fighters ,ever, have been busted for tax evasion. That they talk about on Twitter. And that their boss announces at press conferences.

Likely story.

Again, there are MILLIONS of Americans don't pay/dodge taxes that are living free and never had a run in with IRS. Real story of America brah.

Go check out the est. percentage of the population that actually consistently pays taxes. It will shock you (when translated back into number) how many MILLIONS don't.

Even Jon Fitch who is suing he company said on youtube he received over $300,000 from the ufc in non contracted bonuses. Get a clue ts.

I love how people validate the UFC's pay/practices by citing totally shady "locker room bonuses", which as earlier mentioned, are largely to help fighters and the UFC dodge taxes.
The IRS should be paying them a visit any day now since we've blown the story wide open. All it took were a couple of crack detectives on Sherdog to expose this conspiracy.

Legit companies don't disclose what they pay their employees unless they're publicly traded. Its funny that you feel so entitled to this info that isn't any of your business.

Not really though.

Public listed cos don't need to report salary/pay for all employees. Just certain key roles.

As for private companies, plenty of private cos report pay. team sports organizations (Yankees, cowboys, lakers, etc) report salaries, and those contracts are public info.

Again, there are MILLIONS of Americans don't pay/dodge taxes that are living free and never had a run in with IRS. Real story of America brah.

Go check out the est. percentage of the population that actually consistently pays taxes. It will shock you (when translated back into number) how many MILLIONS don't.

Again, Google what a tax credit is. Thats why people don't pay. Heck, ill make it easier. EIC and CTC.

Not evasion.

Again, Google what a tax credit is. Thats why people don't pay. Heck, ill make it easier. EIC and CTC.

Not evasion.

again, google how many people don't report taxes.

Im sure UFC reporting those bonus figures. However, the fighters report or not, that is entirely on themselves as independent contractors.

That is no different than any other IC in any other industry. In fact most other IC's don't even have their 'base pay' disclosed.

That is no different than any other IC in any other industry. In fact most other IC's don't even have their 'base pay' disclosed.

yup, that's right. IC do the reporting/or not themselves.

No, because of taxes

I think it has less to do with taxes and more to do with the fact that a bonus might go directly to the fighter as opposed to the fighters paycheck where management probably takes a sizeable cut.

Jeez - the people who think that locker room bonuses are a way to evade taxes or launder money are too stupid to believe. All payments to employees, vendors, contractors (which is what the fighters are) etc. must be reported. If the IRS audits a company and cash disbursements don't match reported cash (and they audit very carefully), the amount of trouble the company is in is beyond belief. I used to be a STATE auditor, and even our audits were a major hemorrhoid.

PUBLICLY HELD companies are required to report salaries only for a handful of top executives. The only reason even show and win figures are sometimes reported is because they're required by some state commissions.

The obvious reasons the UFC gives locker room bonuses but doesn't report them:

1) It allows them to reward the kind of fights/fighters they like (incentives matter - so this gives them more control

2) If they see what they think is an unfair situation (from their perspective) - like a decision that went the wrong way, they can redress is. This keeps the receiving fighter on their good side.

3) By not revealing them, they have better negotiating power (the negotiating party with more information is always in the better position).

4) And the fighters typically won't talk about them because (a) they probably don't want anyone knowing their business (would you in their shoes?), and (b) They want to keep receiving them, so they don;t wnt to tick off Uncle Dana.

If we really want to know if they are real we should take a look at the Swedish fighters. Peoples tax returns in Sweden are public domain. So someone could look at their tax returns and see what they made and compare it to their reported salary

again, google how many people don't report taxes.

I am gonna assume you meant file taxes.

Those people don't have to file, because their income is very low.

The UFC isn't a money laundering scheme. their guys pay taxes like everyone else.

They don't disclose it so that they can use it as a reward for fighters and not have it used in negotiations.

First reply nailed it. It's for tax purposes.

The UFC is a private company. They have to publicly give the salaries for show/win/lose money for commission purposes. All other pay is under the table.

It benefits the UFC to give as low numbers as possible and to talk as little about pay as they can to keep from getting eaten alive by taxes.

Randy Couture's contract is public record thanks to him suing the UFC many years ago. If people took the time to read his contract, they would get an idea just how much these guys actually make and how the salary list after every PPV gets posted is just for show and shouldn't be taken seriously. It would be like me saying how much money I made an hour but giving no more details on how many hours a week I work, bonuses or incentives I might be making. It doesn't tell the whole story.

Back