There's a reason locker room bonuses aren't disclosed; they aren't real.

BigGucci

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I've never understood people who argue "the fighters arent underpaid, they get locker room bonuses!"

why do you think the bonuses aren't disclosed while the other pay is? because they don't exist or because they're so shamefully small they may as well not exist.

Or because some fighters get paid enough on that alone that this helps them launder money?

Yeah.. the UFC doesn't disclose the bonuses because it helps the fighters cheat on their taxes... lol

They probably break Jones off with a couple zones of soft.

Fighters have come on here and talked about how considerable their bonuses were. So that's just not true.

I remember an interview given by Maldonado to a brazilian MMA website, back when he had only four fights in the ufc. He said he had never been paid only the contractual amount and one time he got something like four times the amount. Of course there might be otn bonuses in this, but when they like the fight they seem to pay a little extra.

Fighters have come on here and talked about how considerable their bonuses were. So that's just not true.

The problem with "locker room bonuses" is that some fighters get them, and most don't. They are completely discretionary. Of course fighters who got them won't complain about pay. So, while these bonuses may exist, they don't really address any grievances about fighter pay. If the UFC wants to silence critics, they should disclose all pay like legitimate companies do. It's kind of silly to assume that some foul-mouthed prick who touts his "backroom" dealings is being honest.

Dana says he doesn't like to give out real numbers, which is def. the truth cause i came on here and saw people saying things like i shoulda got paid more even though i lost but i headlined the card..

i did, dana sent me an extra 25k right after the fight plus i got main event sponsor money haha

the UFC pays you to do your job, if you do it than you get paid good.. in my UFC debut i made over 80,000... thats a lot of money for a division half the MMA community didn't know existed!!

i love all of you guys, most of you know my life story, i just wanted you to know that i get taken care of by the UFC real well, ESPECIALLY when it comes to $!

All i gotta do now is beat the crap out of someone and move forward and start making anderson moneyyy !!!!!!! :)

Ian McCall Talks UFC Fighter Pay

“I get taken care of. We get discretionary bonuses, which you’ve heard Lorenzo [Fertitta] talk about as well. They send us bonuses after every single one of our fights, and they’re nice bonuses. I feel very well taken care of.

Roop Defends UFC Pay

“To be honest, it makes me mad, because people don’t understand,” said Bisping. “I’ve worked hard, and I get [the amount stipulated in the contract], but when Dana comes into the locker room and gives me a check afterwards, they don’t have to do that. Far from it. I was already very happy with the money I was getting, but then they’ll hand you another check on top of that and say, ‘Well done…good job,’ and there’ll be another huge check inside the envelope.”

Bisping Defends Fighter Pay

I got a discretionary bonus after all 3 of my fights, even an amount equal to my what would have been my win bonus after my embarrassing performance against Stephan Struve.

Fighter Pay Explained by Sean McCorkle

“Just got a check from the UFC,” he commented in Portuguese, noting it was the fourth time he received a bonus [Author Note: That makes him 4/4 for receiving bonus checks, for those of you keeping score]. “The UFC paid me more than if I had won the fight. Thanks to the Fertitta brothers, Dana White and Joe Silva.”

Fabio Maldonado Receives Sizable Bonus Check for Getting Beat Up at UFC 153

“The bonus of the night was $75,000. [The bonus Chris Lytle was given] wasn’t near that, but it was still significant,” Pavia says. “It was more than a mere token, so we’re very happy about that. They took care of him, they gave him a nice chunk.

Chris Lytle Received Locker Room Bonus For UFC 116 Submission

I've never understood people who argue "the fighters arent underpaid, they get locker room bonuses!"

why do you think the bonuses aren't disclosed while the other pay is? because they don't exist or because they're so shamefully small they may as well not exist.

They do exist there just not handed out as much as people like to claim.Fitch got 300k for his gsp fight.I imagine gus got 1 for his fight with jones and chael would of gotten one for his Anderson fight.

The reason the ufc likes to promote em and keep ppv pay etc shrouded in secret is it damages a fighters ability to negotiate when he doesn't know what everyone else is earning

They do exist there just not handed out as much as people like to claim.Fitch got 300k for his gsp fight.I imagine gus got 1 for his fight with jones and chael would of gotten one for his Anderson fight.

The reason the ufc likes to promote em and keep ppv pay etc shrouded in secret is it damages a fighters ability to negotiate when he doesn't know what everyone else is earning

Strong user name to post content.

Exactly what I would have put if knew where this info was or how to quote multiple times lol.

But honestly there are reasons you guys can have a pop at UFC and it's brass but this is a weak one. Time to find another drum to beat TS.

Wow...6 examples out of hundreds and hundreds of fighters over many years. Quite the sample size.
I could post 600 and it wouldn't make a difference. You're going to believe what you want to believe.

Another case closed by a Sherdogger.

Exactly what I would have put if knew where this info was or how to quote multiple times lol.

But honestly there are reasons you guys can have a pop at UFC and it's brass but this is a weak one. Time to find another drum to beat TS.

I'll repeat this for you as well, in the spirit of proper sampling: he gave 6 examples, now you go add up the amount of fighters the UFC has had over how many years its employed the backroom bonus practise. Compare those numbers...6 is not a proper sample size to warrant anything other then propping up his opinion.

In fact even if it was 30 it would still be a substandard sample size.

I know a guy who was payed a locker room bonus.
He took on a very high profile opponent, on about three weeks notice.

He actually missed weight, too.
He was still given an extra $20k higher than his show purse because NO one wanted to fight his opponent and he stepped up.
This was in 2006, when the sport was blossoming and they needed a tough,credible opponent, otherwise the UFC would have lost an important fight.

Yeah.. the UFC doesn't disclose the bonuses because it helps the fighters cheat on their taxes... lol

I believe this. The bonuses are cash in an envelope, likely straight from Dana's own take-home pay, which is a ridiculous amount. It is also hard for the IRS to monitor how much cash Dana has because of his gambling habits.

Wow...6 examples out of hundreds and hundreds of fighters over many years. Quite the sample size.

If fighters such as Sean McCorkle and George Roop get bonuses every single time Id like to think most others would as well

Back