There's a huge difference between meeting true contender and fan favourite matches

hasar

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When Anderson meet fan favourite match like Silva vs Sonnen he beat Sonnen easily. When he met true contender Weidman, Weidman KOed him. Also Weidman was youngest guy Silva fought during his title reign.

When Jones met Rampage, Jones looked like superhuman. When Jones fought true contender Alex he nearly lost the fight. Also Gus was the youngest fighter Jon met during his title reign.

My point is if you fight true contenders constantly, it's really difficult to stay at the top.
No fighter bashing. Of course it's business. That's why they'll make fights that fans wants to see.

GSP fights nothing but true contenders, other than Nick Diaz of course.

When Anderson meet fan favourite match like Silva vs Sonnen he beat Sonnen easily. When he met true contender Weidman, Weidman KOed him. Also Weidman was youngest guy Silva fought during his title reign.

When Jones met Rampage, Jones looked like superhuman. When Jones fought true contender Alex he nearly lost the fight. Also Gus was the youngest fighter Jon met during his title reign.

My point is if you fight true contenders constantly, it's really difficult to stay at the top.
No fighter bashing. Of course it's business. That's why they'll make fights that fans wants to see.

I disagree with above mention. Fan favored fighters who fight a Champion are also true contenders. If you not a true contenders, you don't have that much fans and you will never fight a Champion.
I think it's about how serious the champ take his opponent. In my opinion Silva didn't took Weidman seriously enough and that count's for Jones vs Gus as well.
Jones was just lucky he won the decision, because that fight was very, very close. Jones could easily had the same result as Anderson Silva.

Yeah, Gus was the only true contender Jon fought....trolling or absolutely retarded? Machida, Rashad, Rampage, Shogun, Vitor.......yeah, they suck, no threat there....GTFO TS.

they're all true contenders. it's easy to say what you're saying about fighters after they've fought.

Um both title shots Sonnen got against Silva were earned. Sonnen had went on a three fight winning streak against top MW's prior to the first fight where he scored a few 10-8 rounds on Silva and deserved an immediate rematch but had to win two more fights before Silva gave him the rematch. There's quite a few title shots you can critique but Silva v Sonnen isn't one of them.

Rampage and Sonnen were both legit contenders at the time. At the time of Jones-Rampage, the only guy you could put ahead of Quentin was Rashad. And I really don't think I need to explain why Sonnen was a legit challenge.

Yeah, Gus was the only true contender Jon fought....trolling or absolutely retarded? Machida, Rashad, Rampage, Shogun, Vitor.......yeah, they suck, no threat there....GTFO TS.

Vitor, Chael wasn't contender.

Yeh but they received shots when they were NO contenders. Belfort got his shot because Machida and Rua refused the fight on short notice and Sonnen got his shot because by Jones refusing to fight him in Hendo's absence it appeared as Jones was ducking Sonnen. Both are still legends that have accomplished a lot and Belfort was even LHW champ.

Chael had no chance and wasn't a contender. Vitor stepped in on short notice, but to imply that he's not a dangerous opponent is selling him short. TRT Vitor is a scary fighter where ever he's competing.

Chael had no chance and wasn't a contender. Vitor stepped in on short notice, but to imply that he's not a dangerous opponent is selling him short. TRT Vitor is a scary fighter where ever he's competing.

Vitor looked like a shit in Pride. TRT is helluva drug.

Back