There were 3 boxers with a Mensa IQ

Also, from what I read in that study by Christopher Randolph, is he not simply saying that “CTE isn’t a real disease, but concussions from football can cause Alzheimer’s and other neurological diseases?” Should we just call CTE pugilistica dementia?

And correct me if I’m wrong, the journal you quoted with the article by Randolph, is that a peer reviewed journal? I don’t think it is. Look for a peer reviewed journal that says CTE doesn’t exist.

Should we just call CTE dementia pugilistica? There's a strong argument for that in my opinion. It's not like there have been particularly substantial discoveries on the disease as received by the scientific community in the recent past. The only problem with the term dementia pugilistica is that it implies it only occurs in boxers.

As far as your second paragraph goes, the editor's note in the Randolph piece mentions that it received the standard peer reviewed process.

"This paper was originally solicited as part of the Point – Counterpoint series. It received the standard peer review process."

the brain damage in boxers compared to football players seems and sounds very different, aaron hernandez, junior seau, walter payton, all guys who seemed to be suicidal and have a lot of issues after football, and in hernandez and seau's cases, they were found to have dramatically different brains than average people. Payton had his issues before anyone thought to look at brain damage for football players but it sounds the same if you read up on it. suicidal depression, wierd behavior, short temper but they spoke perfectly fine, boxers often don't speak like that when they are damaged. It's brain damage but it isn't exactly the same. Both have a lot of the same symptoms though.

however, in my opinion, i think it's just sour grapes for people to turn around after their careers are over and try to play victim. You have free will, play or don't play. the problem with that is people want money and glory and then when it's over they want to be angry about it when they end up damaged and broken. I feel bad for them sure but I don't buy the victim status they try to claim.

also, i do think lots of people get wierd as they get older, forgetful, closed minded, short tempered, that's without the punches and tackles. Old people do some wierd shit and they get wierd, i shouldn't talk too much shit because i'm headed there as we all are if we live.

someone mentioned sleep in connection with alzheimers, i've wondered about that too. some have said there is a connection, donald trump, who claims to sleep no more than 4 hours a night has been accused of being in the early stages of senility, margaret thatcher is another who was said to not sleep much, my idol, Prince was rumoured to have been experiencing early alzheimers and he was famous for never sleeping much and being a workaholic. Also, drugs and alcohol can't be good for the brain or the thought processes, alcoholics, weed heads, heroin addicts all have some very distinct thinking patterns. Some are the same, (rationalization, denial, pathological lying) and some are different, alcoholics tend to be angry people while potheads tend to be mellow and lazy, and then we can talk about how things affect people individually. some people can drink all day long and come across as sober as a judge, i've heard that some heroin addicts are like that, one of the shocking things about Prince was, he never showed a lot of signs of being all fucked up or out of it, or slipping off his game.

Should we just call CTE dementia pugilistica? There's a strong argument for that in my opinion. It's not like there have been particularly substantial discoveries on the disease as received by the scientific community in the recent past. The only problem with the term dementia pugilistica is that it implies it only occurs in boxers.

As far as your second paragraph goes, the editor's note in the Randolph piece mentions that it received the standard peer reviewed process.

"This paper was originally solicited as part of the Point – Counterpoint series. It received the standard peer review process."
Yeah that paragraph you got that line from seemed kind of iffy to me the way it was worded.
So does the last line of the paper:
“To date, there are absolutely no credible data to suggest a quantifiable increased risk of any neurological disorder in retired NFL players (or contact sports participants in general), and this is a message that needs to be delivered while research into the issue continues.”

Does that not sound like a crock of shit to you? There’s no quantifiable increased risk for ANY NEUROLOGICAL disorder in retired NFL players?

And add to that, Dr Randolph is not a medical doctor. He’s a clinical “neuropsychologist.”
I’m just skeptical all the way around the more I read it. I can’t find any direct evidence linking him to the NFL but I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if I eventually do.

ya, it's a crock, ignore doctors like that. Ali had doctors of his own who said he had no brain issues, who needed his opinion, all you had to do was look at the man and listen to him speak. The mayo clinic actually gave him a clean bill of health before the holmes fight, like i said, bought and sold, just like anything else.

Yeah that paragraph you got that line from seemed kind of iffy to me the way it was worded.
So does the last line of the paper:
“To date, there are absolutely no credible data to suggest a quantifiable increased risk of any neurological disorder in retired NFL players (or contact sports participants in general), and this is a message that needs to be delivered while research into the issue continues.”

Does that not sound like a crock of shit to you? There’s no quantifiable increased risk for ANY NEUROLOGICAL disorder in retired NFL players?

And add to that, Dr Randolph is not a medical doctor. He’s a clinical “neuropsychologist.”
I’m just skeptical all the way around the more I read it. I can’t find any direct evidence linking him to the NFL but I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if I eventually do.

I think he's talking about if from a hard science point of view where you have to control for every variable and completely rule out other factors that could be causing a neurological disorder and then get into large sample sizes, finding statistically significant p-values, observations over an appropriate length of time etc.

From another paper of people who are closer to CTE advocates;

"Although repetitive head impacts are believed to increase risk for later-life neurological consequences (including chronic traumatic encephalopathy), quantitative analysis of this relationship has not yet been examined"

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/neu.2016.4413

His paper was also part of a point-counterpoint series so he was essentially asked to adopt a position that wasn't completely objective for arguments sake.

I think he's talking about if from a hard science point of view where you have to control for every variable and completely rule out other factors that could be causing a neurological disorder and then get into large sample sizes, finding statistically significant p-values, observations over an appropriate length of time etc.

From another paper of people who are closer to CTE advocates;

"Although repetitive head impacts are believed to increase risk for later-life neurological consequences (including chronic traumatic encephalopathy), quantitative analysis of this relationship has not yet been examined"

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/neu.2016.4413

His paper was also part of a point-counterpoint series so he was essentially asked to adopt a position that wasn't completely objective for arguments sake.

https://www.luc.edu/features/stories/archive/hsd-concussion.shtml
In his latest study, Randolph, a professor at the Stritch School of Medicine and the former team neuropsychologist for the Chicago Bears, screened hundreds of former NFL players for cognitive disorders.

who gves a shiut About cte

let them bang

spread some love

How’d u people manage to ruin my thread with this cte bs I’ll never know.

who gves a shiut About cte

let them bang

spread some love

Spread dem panda cheeks.
Kp9QZsK.gif

*thread saved*

I remember Henry Milligan fairly well though I never had the opportunity to meet him.
I saw him fight quite a few of his early prelims on Top Rank Boxing back in the early '90s & he was fun to watch. He was a very small heavyweight, a cruiserweight really but he made for exciting fights. He was a walk-in banger with good power but he had a porous defense. He never became the star attraction that some expected him to become but for an individual who never laced on a glove until he graduated from Princeton, he did quite well for himself. He won the 1983 national AAU title as a heavyweight & went on to enjoy a 17-3-1 pro record with 15 KO victories.

fighters are intelligent men at the top level, i doubt that would show up on iq tests for most of them but all you have to do is watch how they speak in interviews or give their opinions. It's the same with some of these other athletes in basketball and football, the best really are smart, intelligent thoughtful men. There are the clubfighters who I've known who honestly do not seem that smart, god bless them, they are always sweet souls. I knew a duran sparring partner, beautiful guy, duran must have loved him too I asked him was duran mean and he closed his eyes for a moment, opened them and said, "no.., nice, very nice". I miss him, they put him in a rest home and wouldn't tell me which one so i can't visit.

I remember Henry Milligan fairly well though I never had the opportunity to meet him.
I saw him fight quite a few of his early prelims on Top Rank Boxing back in the early '90s & he was fun to watch. He was a very small heavyweight, a cruiserweight really but he made for exciting fights. He was a walk-in banger with good power but he had a porous defense. He never became the star attraction that some expected him to become but for an individual who never laced on a glove until he graduated from Princeton, he did quite well for himself. He won the 1983 national AAU title as a heavyweight & went on to enjoy a 17-3-1 pro record with 15 KO victories.
How the fuck did this sweet heart get banned?!
come on now, all the awesome pics and sparring stories with famous boxers were a gem on here... sigh

How the fuck did this sweet heart get banned?!
come on now, all the awesome pics and sparring stories with famous boxers were a gem on here... sigh

It was quite some time ago. I think he took some sherdog issues IRL and there was some chick in the middle of it.

yeah, i heard he was trying to give personal info out on someone(not him)...all a bit odd

anyway, Nicky Piper...Nigel Benn broke that guy down badly

Charles Brewer probably never had his IQ tested, but he worked full-time as a computer programmer during his career. He also served as the accountant for his wife's salon.

absolutely. and near the bottom of his class. depending on who you talked to, he was a genius or an imbecile. Wilt chamberlain said something like "he can't even string together a coherent sentence" and mark kram stated he was "not very bright". he failed the army tests before they lowered their standards (he replied, "i said i was the greatest, never said i was the smartest") I used to think Ali didn't care about those kinds of things, but he did, later on he said that when they lowered their standards, "why did the make me look like a nut and embarrass my family then?".
For what it is worth, Lyman Johnson, who was close to my family (my forebears and his grandpa Dyer Johnson were slaves in Columbia, Tennessee and founded the first black church there and some other stuff), was one of his high school teachers. I want to say that he found Ali to be bright, if unfocused, but I can't quite remember. When my Mom went to visit him while he was ailing, I basically hung around in the hotel room with my sister instead of getting a chance to talk to him and ask him questions. I would've loved to ask him about Ali amongst other things.

Don't quote me that he was Ali's teacher, but I think that was the case. If Ali wasn't one of his students, Ali went to demonstrations Johnson organized or something.

w. jr. is another one who came across as fucking retarded, he really did.
He actually scored a 1200 on his SAT, and that was in an era where the test was tougher than it is now. I don't consider myself stupid by any means and I scored lower than that. My score was good enough to get me some recognition from the National Merit and National Achievement Scholarships. National Achievement--which is only for black people--gave me some sort of award for being a semi-finalist and I think I could something from the National Merit as well. I actually got recognition for my PSAT score as well (although so did a ton of other people at my school so I guess it wasn't that special).

I'm not saying that my SAT score represents the sum total of my intellectual worth, but it always bugged me when people ripped on Bush's score, when in fact it was exceptionally high and definitely higher than mine. Then again, I did do a bunch of stupid stuff in high school so I can't really defend my intelligence at that age too much.

fighters are intelligent men at the top level, i doubt that would show up on iq tests for most of them but all you have to do is watch how they speak in interviews or give their opinions.
100%. They have to be highly intelligent to do what they do, period. To formulate and execute strategies the way they do and most of all, to make split-second adjustments to those strategies clearly takes a lot of brains. Setting traps, avoiding traps, figuring out how to shutdown an opponent's offense...all of that takes a lot of brains. There's no way around it. The level of focus and concentration required of a top-level boxer also bears mentioning.

It was quite some time ago. I think he took some sherdog issues IRL and there was some chick in the middle of it.
super nice guy but not everyone liked him, i mean, some people just get into each other's craws on here, don't know how they take it so serious.

Back