*There was a time when yoo could argue if MMA was a sport or a show. Now it's crystal clear*

Has Boxing never been a sport then?
It's different because the UFC basically owns its fighters and is more like NFL/MLB/NBA than boxing. The NFL wouldn't let a team pick it's opponent for the Super Bowl, especially if they skipped the regular season. The way the UFC operates is preposterous, It's not a legit sport but it's decent entertainment.

It's always been both sport and spectacle. Stop pretending that they don't overlap or that there was some golden era of pure sport legitimacy or that there can ever be one.

Fringe sport. The rankings and promotion is bullshit but the fighting, sweat and blood are real.

MMA is definitely a show. No way this is a sport. It's closer to the WWE than to a regular sport, where rankings are objective. It's all about money fights. And even the fighters can decide who will be their next opponent: just need a couple of tweets. ¿The belt? Yeah, it would turn you into an instant, natural money fight. That's why it's relevant.

McGregor Vs Cerrone? An almost retired fighter against a fighter that should retire. I can't care less. Hope it's a double KO.
It’s the same as it ever was.

100% agree with TS. Been saying it for a while tho. Getting rid of Cyborg, Moose and others proved this. Ronda fighting Nunez proved it too. Aldo not getting his rematch. Michael Bisping and GSPs MW fight. This is a popularity contest and if you sell, you get to fight for the title. If you don't sell, you have to get a 10+ win streak at anything but HW. UFC is fake. Been saying this too. At least most champs are. Only legit champ is Khabib and maybe Cejudo.

UFC might be misusing rankings, but hey - the fights themselves are still a sport, not scripted.

There are other MMA leagues doing proper rankings though.
I've never watched PFL - but I like their idea of a season system and I don't think it's that unthinkable that we could see such systems used in big leagues in the distant future.

Last edited:
MMA is definitely a show. No way this is a sport. It's closer to the WWE than to a regular sport, where rankings are objective.
Kinda nitpicking but I'd say that WWE comparison is lacking.
There are 2 component to a sport.
The main one is whether matches themselves are legit athletic competition. The secondary is whether matches are part of a ranking/tournament system.

The main reason WWE isn't a sport is not because they lack a ranking system. It's mainly because the matches are scripted theatre.

An individual MMA fight is still an unscripted true competition.
So you can enjoy a fight as a sport if you disregard their ranking implications.

Last edited:
MMA is definitely a show. No way this is a sport. It's closer to the WWE than to a regular sport, where rankings are objective. It's all about money fights. And even the fighters can decide who will be their next opponent: just need a couple of tweets. ¿The belt? Yeah, it would turn you into an instant, natural money fight. That's why it's relevant.

McGregor Vs Cerrone? An almost retired fighter against a fighter that should retire. I can't care less. Hope it's a double KO.
I already had this discussion with you before. you cant have a sport without a tournament.

All sports are part show. Even if MMA is even more so, saying it’s not a sport is absurd. That’s just factually incorrect.

UFC is a show MMA is a sport.

UFC is definitely a show, for sure. Maybe five years ago it looked like a sport. But it's pretty clear than UFC/Dana just make up the rules as they go. Conor is going to get any title shot he wants, as long as he pulls in the viewers it doesn't matter. Forget the integrity of the sport. Why is tonights fight five rounds? It's not a title fight. They just created the BMF belt. The sport is rubbish really and this is probably the last PPV I buy.

UFC is definitely a show, for sure. Maybe five years ago it looked like a sport. But it's pretty clear than UFC/Dana just make up the rules as they go. Conor is going to get any title shot he wants, as long as he pulls in the viewers it doesn't matter. Forget the integrity of the sport. Why is tonights fight five rounds? It's not a title fight. They just created the BMF belt. The sport is rubbish really and this is probably the last PPV I buy.
Hopefully this is the last time you post.

Back