There should have been a tournament for the WW title after GSP vacated.

Not A Real Fan

Deep State Agent assigned to monitor Sherdog
Banned
Reaction score
And one for the LHW title after Jones was stripped.

It's problematic for the new champion when the previous one loses the title outside the cage. This is especially true if the former champion was a dominant one with many defenses. A paper champ is crowned. it just felt so cheap that the successor to GSP, top three best fighter of all time, would be crowned after just one fight.

Imagine a 8 man tourney with the quarterfinals on one FOX card, semis a few months later on FOX, with the final on PPV? The eventual champ would seem legit.

I think if a champ had 0-2 title defenses, one fight to crown the new champ is fine. A 4 man tourney if the champ had 3-6 defenses. 8 man for 7 or more defenses.

harder for dana to control who ends up where

Do you know the last time the UFC did a tourney? It was when they created a brand new division. You know the time before that? 1999, in Japan.

Seems like every week some dickhead puts up a tourney post, blissfully unaware they aren't either A) in Japan or B) talking about Bellator.

Other than that, almost as an afterthought, this idea wouldn't solve shit anyway. People would still call the guy who never lost the real champ.

Just as there should have been a LW Tournament when the UFC purchased Pride.

Pride20LW20GP20200720Rd201.jpg

Nah that shit would have been a little too real.

Do you know the last time the UFC did a tourney? It was when they created a brand new division. You know the time before that? 1999, in Japan.

Seems like every week some dickhead puts up a tourney post, blissfully unaware they aren't either A) in Japan or B) talking about Bellator.

Other than that, almost as an afterthought, this idea wouldn't solve shit anyway. People would still call the guy who never lost the real champ.

Well since champs hardly ever vacate or are stripped, my tourney idea would be very rare.

Na. Let someone win the title quickly and have the opportunity for some defenses and make some money.

Also, tournies force pretty much everyone to lose, and leaves behind the No. 2 guy with the belt and no top contender with a winning streak.

so if you're worn out with tourney posts, why did you come into this thread?

you're either A) a retard or B) a retard

The way the division has been post-GSP is fine. It's more exciting now and nobody look unbeatable and there's still plenty of depth in the division. How does ensuring a few anonymous wankers on the Internet don't label a fighter a 'paper champ' improve your life, TS?

Things are good just as they are.

I would have enjoyed it. I think it's a great way to name a new champion when the old one vacates the title.

Don't know if it means the most revenue for Zuffa though.

Tournaments?

You're living in the past, in a couple years they'll do away with contender-fights all together and replace them with Mr. LHW contender pageants, where the contestants have to show off their abs, do flips, engage in trash-talk-offs, etc. to earn a title-shot.

The last time the UFC did a tourney was the last TUF.

Would of been fun.

so if you're worn out with tourney posts, why did you come into this thread?

you're either A) a retard or B) a retard

I didn't say I was worn out with anything you inbred moron. I'm pointing out to the TS that the tourney format isn't something the UFC does and posting about it isn't going to change that. Not this one, not any of them. Tourneys aren't their thing.

Go ahead though with that reading comprehension, champ. I'm sure the gas station could always use people of your caliber.

I like the tourney idea, but I'm not unhappy with how things turned out. Robbie is a great Champ, and Wonderboy looks like a killer now that he's had some time to get more established. Who knows how Wonderboy would have done at that tourney, maybe it would have derailed him. He might not have been ready for those wrestlers at the time.

As far as the LHW tourney, it's hard to deny DC at this point. He did beat Rumble and Gus. He's no doubt the best guy behind Jones at LHW.

The last time they did a tournament (besides TUF) was for the flyweight title.

Not a bad idea TS

The last time they did a tournament (besides TUF) was for the flyweight title.

Not a bad idea TS

That flyweight tournament turned out great didn't it?

Ian McCall got robbed and we've been stuck with DJ ever since.

Nah, Robbie and Hendricks were the clear contenders at that point

Who cares about title defenses....

What is more exciting than a high level MMA tournament?

This entire sport was build arounde that format, but for some reason, Dana hates it now.

Back