There should be a "super 8" UFC MW tournament after Hendo vs Bisping

Hi-Tech

Slavic Fighter
Banned
Reaction score
I don't mean a single night tournament like in the Pride days but something like boxing did with the super 6 tournament.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Six_World_Boxing_Classic

IMO the MW title lost a bit of credibility lately since the top of the division is stacked with legit contenders and yet grandpa Hendo got the title shot and hardly anyone believes that Bisping is the best fighter in the division to begin with.

On the other hand I understand that because the division is so stacked it's hard to determine who the rightful contender is since they mostly have loses between each other while the undefeated Romero had that problem with suspension.

I think the best way to determine who the real top dog of the division is is to create a tournament, especially if Hendo somehow wins the title and then retires.

Personally I would put these 8 fighters in the tournament

Bisping
Weidman
Rockhold
Jacare
Yoel Romero
Mousasi
Anderson Silva
Whittaker

With Vitor and Uriah Hall as possible replacements in someone gets injured for a longer period of time.

I would put fighters in two groups of 4 with each of them fighting everyone in that group and the two with the best results would advance to the semi finals to meet the best two from the other group. Together that's 5 rounds of fights, it would be doable in 2-2.5 years.

The 2 groups could be determined by a random draw, but could be handpicked too to get the fights we haven't seen yet, in this case I would go with this:

Group 1: Jacare Weidman Bisping Whittaker
Group 2: Rockhold Romero Silva Mousasi

We would get plenty of great fights and a nice competition format that would produce clear contenders and finally also a clear undisputed champ. Whoever would come on top would be marketable as hell and would have a great resume. I think casuals would like this format too because it's similar to ball sports and is not based on subjective rankings.

In the meanwhile the rest of the division can fight each other to get the top contender out of the rest who would be the first defense of the new champ.

This tournament would be great for MMA as a sport, it would be absolutely stacked and would rival the legendary Pride tournaments.

With like Lens flares and stuff?

Give it up with this shit already you Pride huggers.

It's not fucking happening. Let it go.

Bowling%20Cant%20Let%20Go.gif

Give it up with this shit already you Pride huggers.

It's not fucking happening. Let it go.

Bowling%20Cant%20Let%20Go.gif

It has nothing to do with Pride, I'm not talking about a Pride-style single night tournament.

Boxing had something similar with the Super 6 tournament which legitimized Andre Ward as an elite fighter and it was a huge success with many memorable fights.

Strikeforce had a HW tournament that was great too

And a shitty ending.
It wasn't THAT bad.

On Topic: I actually really do like the tournament format. It legitimizes the weight class. I like the idea for the MW one. But I wouldn't be opposed to having one for each weight class. I mean they are having one for FLW.

i love Anderson he's maybe my favourite fighter of all time but him and Vitor shouldn't be in a title race now, he's had his time he should be looking to do fun fights at MW and LHW

It wasn't THAT bad.

On Topic: I actually really do like the tournament format. It legitimizes the weight class. I like the idea for the MW one. But I wouldn't be opposed to having one for each weight class. I mean they are having one for FLW.

I think it would be great for this USADA era where the quality of every champ is suddenly suspicious and put under question.

I think it would be great for this USADA era where the quality of every champ is suddenly suspicious and put under question.
That and the fact it's just changing hands so quickly, and you got a few instances of the champ being beaten handily by someone else still relevant in the division. I mean, it's not all bad really. It's been really exciting lately(for me anyway) But at the same time you don't get your steadfast champion of each division with the exception of MM and I think Cruz could be mentioned in there.

So since you don't like Bisping they should strip him of his belt and make him win a tournament? This idea was dumb from the start but if you're going to have it have the winner face Bisping.

I don't mean a single night tournament like in the Pride days but something like boxing did with the super 6 tournament.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Six_World_Boxing_Classic

IMO the MW title lost a bit of credibility lately since the top of the division is stacked with legit contenders and yet grandpa Hendo got the title shot and hardly anyone believes that Bisping is the best fighter in the division to begin with.

On the other hand I understand that because the division is so stacked it's hard to determine who the rightful contender is since they mostly have loses between each other while the undefeated Romero had that problem with suspension.

I think the best way to determine who the real top dog of the division is is to create a tournament, especially if Hendo somehow wins the title and then retires.

Personally I would put these 8 fighters in the tournament

Bisping
Weidman
Rockhold
Jacare
Yoel Romero
Mousasi
Anderson Silva
Whittaker

With Vitor and Uriah Hall as possible replacements in someone gets injured for a longer period of time.

I would put fighters in two groups of 4 with each of them fighting everyone in that group and the two with the best results would advance to the semi finals to meet the best two from the other group. Together that's 5 rounds of fights, it would be doable in 2-2.5 years.

The 2 groups could be determined by a random draw, but could be handpicked too to get the fights we haven't seen yet, in this case I would go with this:

Group 1: Jacare Weidman Bisping Whittaker
Group 2: Rockhold Romero Silva Mousasi

We would get plenty of great fights and a nice competition format that would produce clear contenders and finally also a clear undisputed champ. Whoever would come on top would be marketable as hell and would have a great resume. I think casuals would like this format too because it's similar to ball sports and is not based on subjective rankings.

In the meanwhile the rest of the division can fight each other to get the top contender out of the rest who would be the first defense of the new champ.

This tournament would be great for MMA as a sport, it would be absolutely stacked and would rival the legendary Pride tournaments.
That's a good idea, but if Jacare makes it to the championship bout, he'll get "injured" and replaced with Hendo or Bisping.

So since you don't like Bisping they should strip him of his belt and make him win a tournament? This idea was dumb from the start but if you're going to have it have the winner face Bisping.

He wouldn't be stripped until he'd lose his first match.

How is him fighting this tournament different from regular title defenses? If he's really the best of the division he shouldn't have problems proving it. If he can go all the way then he just added 5 legit title defenses to his name.

More likely is Weidman vs Jacare/Rockhold at MSG for the vacant belt or number 1 contender against Bisping.

What happens when Bisping wins? Bisping Vs Bisping for the title?

He wouldn't be stripped until he'd lose his first match.

How is him fighting this tournament different from regular title defenses? If he's really the best of the division he shouldn't have problems proving it. If he can go all the way then he just added 5 legit title defenses to his name.
Because he has to earn his title back. So are you saying if Bisping loses in the first round the winner who beat him is the champion but fighting in the tournament?

What happens when Bisping wins? Bisping Vs Bisping for the title?

Again, Bisping would defend his belt in this tournament. He would keep his belt until he loses his first fight.

It's no different to regular title defenses just that's it's in a tournament format.

Tyson Fury/Klitschko winner will have to defend his WBA HW title in a tournament too.

Boxers who entered the super 6 with world titles defended and lost them during the tournament.

Because he has to earn his title back. So are you saying if Bisping loses in the first round the winner who beat him is the champion but fighting in the tournament?

Well how is that different to losing a regular title defense?

Theoretically when the fight starts you have to earn your title back in a regular title defense too. When you're a champ and you fight you're automatically putting your title on the line (unless it's a non-title fight)

What would be easier, is just saying "until Bisping loses his belt, he's the best in the division". Rather than trying to discredit him.

It has nothing to do with Pride, I'm not talking about a Pride-style single night tournament.

Boxing had something similar with the Super 6 tournament which legitimized Andre Ward as an elite fighter and it was a huge success with many memorable fights.

Strikeforce had a HW tournament that was great too

The super 6 also took over two years to crown a winner.

Strikeforce's tournament was a mess with false starts and the champion getting cut after the first round of the tournament.

Too many variables at play for a tournament this big. Pick 4 guys, winners fight for the belt.

Back