There NEEDS To Be Stricter Consequences For Grabbing The Fence

They can restart the fight on the ground with the fighter who grabbed the fence on the bottom.

You know, this isn't a bad idea. They could do this and also take a point, if a fighter commits several infractions.

Something has to be done because wrestlers already have to deal with the threat of being stood up as soon as the fight hits the ground. I've heard some refs start with the "advance your position or I'll stand you up", literally 10 seconds after the takedown. And some of them say it with that very condescending vice-principal tone, which pisses me off.

I hate it when fighters grab the fence, I have a good idea lets have the UFC make the fence electric so it will shock a fighter when the touch it, same thing as a electric shock fence that keeps cattle from touching it.

your right dumb idea, well on the consequence for grabbing it automatic 1 point first time, automatic 2 points second time, and third time DQ. Have replay on this if the ref misses it.

They shouldn't have the option of penalizing a blatant illegal move.

But they do, and since that is the case, all we can ask for us consistency.

Hope you're kidding

No. Why?

i agree. Shit happens. Its not like people go into fights planning on fence grabbing to get them a win.

This man gets it. Since refs, fighters and circumstances will always change fight to fight, we can ask for us consistency.

Well, looking at your username, I can see why you think that. But that is just bad logic. Usually, the issue is going to benefit one fighter. I haven't seen a fight where both guys were grabbing the cage. You think Mendes was going to need to grab the cage?

Lol, I held this position long before Aldo v Mendes, so I'm not just trying to diminish Aldo's behavior in the cage. If I was the ref in that fight, I would have deducted a point and would have done the same with Mendes if he acted in kind. But refs have leeway with this rule. And AGAIN, all we can ask for is consistency.

And my logic is quite sound, sir. :)

I hate it when fighters grab the fence, I have a good idea lets have the UFC make the fence electric so it will shock a fighter when the touch it, same thing as a electric shock fence that keeps cattle from touching it.

your right dumb idea, well on the consequence for grabbing it automatic 1 point first time, automatic 2 points second time, and third time DQ. Have replay on this if the ref misses it.

One point first time would be great.

Interesting point. I think the best answer I've heard to "semi-cheating" play was Sonnen's argument about the trouser-grabbing on his fight with AS: "he grabs mine, I grab his," something like that.

The grabbing of the fence will only stop when the fence is removed and substituted by, say, buttery walls. Even if you electrify the fence, the fighter in trouble will instinctively grab to it and get a shock (it deserves an experiment!). Everything in there is too fast and too crazy for us to judge and try to correct from the outside. Also, I believe many fighters don't spend most of their training time around fences to use them in a planned fashion.

Maybe changing the gloves: with mitten-shaped gloves they wouldn't get such a good grip of the fence, but boxers have always managed to use the ropes.

We'll probably just learn to live with it, I think it does not affect the outcome so dramatically: it's a real fight and there happens to be a fence there, it's a variable in the game.

Lol @ legalizing fence grabbing. Those who advocate this, are beyond retarded seriously.

No such thing as an accidental fence grab so deduct a point every time it is spotted.

Btw, I forgot: electrifying the fence would punish the other fighter too...we are conductive.

yes. refs gotta be stricter with rules that affect the fight. fence grabs, certain glove/shorts grabbing, open fingers directly pointed outward (jones, barao rd 5 vs faber, occasionaly kos), and stuff like that has to be pointed out and the fighter has to be punished.

Do you know how many fingers would be broken by grabbing the fence? That is quite possibly the stupidest idea I have ever heard.

So how many fighters has already broken their fingers? I mean there has been more fence grabbing more than one occasion right? So who was the stupid one?
I'm not saying by any means it's okay with fence grabbing but reading your responses it's pretty clear you're quit biased. The thing you probably don't get it's that you have the same kind of tunnel vision as the just bleed fans.

So how many fighters has already broken their fingers? I mean there has been more fence grabbing more than one occasion right? So who was the stupid one?
I'm not saying by any means it's okay with fence grabbing but reading your responses it's pretty clear you're quit biased. The thing you probably don't get it's that you have the same kind of tunnel vision as the just bleed fans.

You are saying I have tunnel vision when YOU are trying to say they should make grabbing the fence legal? Are you serious? That is the stupidest idea ever. I don't even need to say why. Just think about it. I am a little bias for wrestlers, but it is ridiculous. Fence grabbing being legal would make MMA the ugliest sport ever.

This man gets it. Since refs, fighters and circumstances will always change fight to fight, we can ask for us consistency.

Lol, I held this position long before Aldo v Mendes, so I'm not just trying to diminish Aldo's behavior in the cage. If I was the ref in that fight, I would have deducted a point and would have done the same with Mendes if he acted in kind. But refs have leeway with this rule. And AGAIN, all we can ask for is consistency.

And my logic is quite sound, sir. :)

Eh, I agree with you mostly because I am not a fighter, and have never been in a fight, but ive played sports before, and I know that when the adrenaline is going, you just run on instinct and its not even a matter of whats logical anymore, its a matter of what can and will happen.

rather than looking at it as "person a grabbed the fence, they should be penalized" we should look at it as a situation that will happen and can't be avoided, and therefore multiple warnings is the best way to go, because if you just take away a shit ton of points, we will have accidental grabs that will make someone lose a fight they should have won, which really, is worse than the way it is now.

Then maybe the guy shouldn't push his opponent up against the cage. Grapple him away from the cage and he won't have that problem. Change up their gameplan.

I mean this can REALLY change the outcome of a fight. JDS grabbed the fence 10+ times (I counted 12). Thankfully, it didn't effect the outcome of the fight. But with other fights, it can change the outcome. For example, it changed the Aldo vs. Mendes fight. I am not saying Mendes would have won, but DIRECTLY after Aldo grabbed the cage, he won via TKO. It could have been a different fight. He should have gotten a point taken or other measures. What do you guys think should be done when someone lifts someone in the air and the guy grabs the fence to get his feet back under him?

b0WQR.gif

35pzmf.jpg

sherk.jpg

hi-res-6888890_display_image.jpg

fedor-emelianenko_matt-lindland.gif

Completely agree.

Then maybe the guy shouldn't push his opponent up against the cage. Grapple him away from the cage and he won't have that problem. Change up their gameplan.

So many dumb people in this thread.

I'm down for it being legal. They just can't grab it to stall an opponent against the cage.

You are saying I have tunnel vision when YOU are trying to say they should make grabbing the fence legal? Are you serious? That is the stupidest idea ever. I don't even need to say why. Just think about it. I am a little bias for wrestlers, but it is ridiculous.

I suggest you read and try to comprehend before responding. I did not suggest such thing at all. Just for the fun of it, what would you say about the yellow card for inactivity?
Oh and you are not LITTLE biased.

Bring in yellow cards dammit! Or at the very least an immediate point deduction without warning if its a blatant cage grab that prevents a takedown. Minor cage grabs in the clinch or something is cool with only warnings at first, but a grab like the Aldo one, immediate deduction.

Back