There needs to be a set criteria for UFC judges

Maybe but no matter what they do, it's artificially going to make some things matter too much and others not matter enough. The question is, do you watch the fights for the fight or for the decision? I watch more for the fight itself than the outcome (not that that doesn't matter) so I'd rather they just get rid of the judges, give the fighters like 4 x 5 minute rounds, give the refs stricter rules for stalling and if no one is finished at the end, call it a draw. True, we'd see more draws but we'd also see a lot more finishes and more of an emphasis on trying to finish - which means more good fights with a deeper skillset. Plus, fighters wont try to coast to a decision as often since they know there's no hope of winning a decision. It's not perfect but it's better than pretending someone clearly won or lost a close fight that half the fans think went one way and half thought it went the other.

UFC doesn't have judges

I think they do in events outside of the US.
Remember that time Dana replaced a judge mid-event when he wasnt happy about the way he judged a fight. I think it was in Macau or some other place in Asia.

The judges are politically appointed positions that involve minimal training. Judges are often incompetent and incapable of evolving. On multiple occasions I had to tell judges to pay attention at Tuff-N-Uff events (talking to friends at the event, on their phones, generally doodling). Those same judges are now in the pro ranks and likely are just as incapable of their jobs.

They need to announce each judges scorecard after each round. This way it will bring attention to the bad judging round by round and the fighters will at least know if they need a finish due to bad judging.

K-1 did open scoring for a while, where it's announced at the end of every round. And surprise surprise, there wasn't any questionable decisions on those events. It makes it so much harder for the judges to mess up, and so much more obvious when they do mess up.

judging has exponentially gotten better in recent years, i believe they overhauled the judging criteria and rules a couple years ago and since then we haven't seen near the amount of horrible decisions.

The recent decisions in retrospect are not that bad. I thought Beneil won against MJ and I thought Holbrook won against Nijem, and people are acting like these are close to Garcia level robberies.

judging will never please everyone. is the guy fighting on the outside using his jab and leg kicks to keep his opponent at bay controlling the octagon? or is the guy pressing forward trying to hit the body and head with punches controlling the octagon? It's completely subjective. But we've seen how mma judging has now included the possibility for counter strikers (Dariush) and aggressive submission fighters off their back (Holbrook) can now be favored by the judges. That's a very good leap forward since the days where pushing forward and and being on top always got the nod.

Tranlsation: You've gotten exponentially more used to horrible decisions over the years to the point where you can longer tell what they look like.

At least one sports betting site (sportsbetting.com.au) actually paid out winnings to all the bettors who bet on MJ last night. That means the decision was ridiculous to the point where they`re going to lose customers unless they personally take the hit for the judges complete incompetence. That says it all. Bookies make their money by understanding sports, these guys literally set the odds for the fights, if they think the decision is ridiculous to the point where they pay the losers and the winners to make up for it... then it's a horrible decision.

I don't think that most of the judges even understand the criteria, as well as most posters. Every single media judge scored it for MJ 30-27, or 29-28. Fightmetric scored if MJ based on the numbers alone.

-could have a scoreboard that shows judges scores per round, and has a few stats like strikes landed, ect,
-drop the 10 point must system
-getting looser with the scoring, so more 10-8, 10-7 rounds
-judges get a monitor to view the fight and stat updates

They should be forced listening to Rogan's commentary. Then Sherdog would be happy.

K-1 did open scoring for a while, where it's announced at the end of every round. And surprise surprise, there wasn't any questionable decisions on those events. It makes it so much harder for the judges to mess up, and so much more obvious when they do mess up.

Tranlsation: You've gotten exponentially more used to horrible decisions over the years to the point where you can longer tell what they look like.

At least one sports betting site (sportsbetting.com.au) actually paid out winnings to all the bettors who bet on MJ last night. That means the decision was ridiculous to the point where they`re going to lose customers unless they personally take the hit for the judges complete incompetence. That says it all. Bookies make their money by understanding sports, these guys literally set the odds for the fights, if they think the decision is ridiculous to the point where they pay the losers and the winners to make up for it... then it's a horrible decision.

I don't think that most of the judges even understand the criteria, as well as most posters. Every single media judge scored it for MJ 30-27, or 29-28. Fightmetric scored if MJ based on the numbers alone.

I think its the exact opposite, plebs have been so used to typical judging criteria that when certain fights play out, they believe X fighter should win.

the betting site is irrelevant, it lends zero credence to any argument against the official decision. its one out of a thousand that probably did it for PR.

If you believe Magic Jonston won, then that's understandable. I understand why you think that, but what happened in the second round besides stuffing a few takedowns that made it so obvious? I thought Dariush was just more effective overall and landed the better strikes. I also think he was controlling the octagon more effectively, whereas Magic Jonestown was just following Dariush around with his bird legs, pecking at the air in front of Beniel "sex god" Dariush. Furthermore, Dariush won the superior body competition. Chiseled from the Hard Wrok on Mt. Olympus.

Back